Connecting a HDD to my OP2 via an OTG cable

1. mattvi
    Donut Nov 5, 2015

mattvi , Nov 5, 2015 :
    Hi guys,

i purchased an OTG cable with the hope of connecting my external HDD to my OP2 so that when i am travels or out without a PC/laptop i can transfer files back and forth. When i connected my HDD to the phone the hard drive did not power on, i assume it requires to much power to turn on, the HDD states 5V @ 0.9A.

Is the power requirements the only problem? Would a SSD work as it requires less power?

Any advice on this would be great

Cheers Guys!

2. Tokolozi
    Nougat Nov 5, 2015

pa5t1s likes this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 5, 2015

elanglois , Nov 5, 2015 :
    I use OTG with an external USB hard drive (750GB) all the time (OPO). External drives should have their own power supply as they usually need 12V in addition to the 5. Flash drives are fine without external power.

You'd have the same issue with most PC USB ports as available current for USB is really low and you need more voltage for a spinning drive motor.

4. The Joker
    Marshmallow Nov 5, 2015

The Joker , Nov 5, 2015 :
    Just buy a usb 64gb thumb drive
    Your phone can't provide the right amp to spin up the drive.
    A ssd may work becouse it's just a larger version of the usb drive. But not sure if that works. A Thumb drive wil work

5. bonghollywood
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 5, 2015

bonghollywood , Nov 5, 2015 :
    It won't power anything that needs more than 5 volts and 3amps max. With an HDD... it won't play well... It won't even power my DAC that only needs 4 amps. And there's no phone out there that can power that load. Most HDD ( not SSD ) will need 9 watts minimum just to get the motor to drive the disk running let alone reading it.

Tokolozi and pa5t1s like this.