Contact Duplication via OnePlus 7T

1. shah.aditi45
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

shah.aditi45 , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 20, 2021 :
    I have more than 500 contacts saved in the same name due to some issues in the software that I'm unable to figure.

Even the store here in mumbai ( vile Parle West) has no idea what's wrong.

Multiple contacts throughout my contact list have been duplicated, some 100-500 times and it takes my time and energy to select all the blank (or with details) to delete 1618900075666.jpg

the number of contacts total. and the duplication this has.

I tried contacting the toll free number but couldn't get past the language selection due to an error with the IVR.

The merge contacts option also doesn't work as because of the duplication, it doesn't open even after 30 minutes of selecting merge.

Please help

TIA

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021

2. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Apr 20, 2021

ghostofcain , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Disable contact sync, access Gmail via web site and manage contacts from there, you can roll back up to 30 days. After sorting enable contact sync again and all should be well.

Tokolozi and shah.aditi45 like this.
  3. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

TheMystic , Apr 20, 2021 :
    Some app you are using to manage contacts is creating this mess. See which apps have access to your contacts, and remove the permission for all of them, except your dialer app (which I guess is OnePlus Dialer or Google Phone), SMS, Gmail, and the important ones that need to access contacts. If you are using a 3rd party dialer app, it is most likely causing this problem.

Caoimhín likes this.
  4. shah.aditi45
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

Hi

Nope not using any third part app for sure but im going to check the permissions thing. Thanks! :)

5. shah.aditi45
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

No duplication on the gmail. Checked via website. It's like a contacts software issue it seems.. what do I do now? The sync option isn't available (merge doesn't open either)

ghostofcain likes this.
  6. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

Just saw your screenshot in the OP. You have 5 Google accounts setup, and 2 out of them have some contacts. Rest everything is in your phone. If you are sure that the two Google accounts have all your contacts (I would like to think so because they have over 700 contacts), then do this:

1. Sign out of the two accounts where your contacts are stored. This will leave only the contacts that are saved locally on your phone, which I guess are holding all the duplicates.
    2. Open the contacts app and delete all the contacts. You may lose some of the most recently saved contacts since I see that the default contact storage is your phone, and not a Google account. If need be, create a backup from within the app to be on the safe side.
    3. Sign-in to the 2 Google accounts that you signed out from in step 1. This will sync back all your Google contacts, removing all the duplicates.
    4. Choose your Google account as the default for saving new contacts.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021

7. shah.aditi45
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

The only issue with this is, if I take a back up of the phone accounts won't the duplicates get stored too? :/

8. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

Yes, they will be. But you are NOT going to restore that backup. It will be there just in case you want to look up a contact later which isn't stored to one of your Google accounts.

You have 1.64 lakh contacts which is absurd. What I suggested is the simplest way to get rid of all the junk, even if that means losing a few contacts (which are anyway available in the backup which you can look up, if required).

9. shah.aditi45
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

Ooohh so just have a back up to look. Not restore. And add manually from it. Got it..makes sense.. however where will I get to view this backed up vcf file?

10. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

Since your default location for contacts was your phone, there may be some contacts that are not backed up to your Google account. It is difficult to find those when you have over 1.6 lakh contacts.

The 2 Google accounts have over 700 contacts, which is realistic. When you sign-out and sign back in, these contacts would come back to your device after sync is completed. You have already confirmed that on the web, your Google account doesn't have the duplication mess. So if you follow the steps listed out earlier, your phone will only have about 700 or so contacts, without duplication.

As with the contacts saved on the device which you are going to back-up (or Export) in step 2, you can use any of the remaining 3 google accounts (or even the device itself if the option is available) just for saving the backup. The backed up file will be available in the location you choose when exporting. They won't show up with the rest of the contacts. Even if they do, you will have the option to hide these from showing up under Settings.

Caoimhín and ghostofcain like this.
  11. shah.aditi45
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

Thank you soo much. The last para imma take a bit to understand. 🙈 But imma try. :)
    Thank youuu

TheMystic likes this.
  12. shah.aditi45
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2021

Hi..could I also just select the contacts I want to keep and upload them to a vcf file or gmail account and then just delete eveything from the phone and re add them?

13. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 20, 2021

You can, but it will be too much work.

You don't have to because you are anyway backing up/ exporting all the contacts currently stored in your device. You have the option of either exporting all contacts (in .vcf) as a backup, or simply moving all contacts in step 2 from phone to a Google account. Choose one of the remaining 3 Google accounts that have an empty contact list presently. Once done, you can hide contacts from this Google account which contains lakhs of duplicate/ empty contacts. This way, you can still access all your contacts, yet have a clean phonebook.

Then, when time permits, you can open this Google account on the web, and choose the contacts you want to keep, and delete the rest. But this is going to be extremely time consuming, unless Google provides a way to automatically delete all empty contacts, and merge the duplicates. The web version may just have that feature, so check it out.

Caoimhín and shah.aditi45 like this.