[Contest] Design the Next Big Viewing Experience

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jan 15, 2021

dsmonteiro , Jan 15, 2021 :
    ForumTV.jpg

Hey everyone,

It has been nearly a year since we launched the OnePlus TV, and we are glad that the design and the product itself received so much love and appreciation.

From the start, the OnePlus TV was built on co-creation we started with the naming campaign before the OnePlus TV was unveiled, and we held several Beta Test activities throughout its lifecycle. At the very beginning of 2020, a deeply co-created campaign OnePlus Product Ninjas was released, bringing us a fresh and interesting way at co-creating with the community.

The entire process was incredibly rewarding, building a TV for real needs. Now, we want to make you part of yet another co-creation campaign – TV DESIGN:

If you were a designer, what would your TV look like?

Do you envision an elegant and exquisite TV or rather a locomotor TV like Transformers? Your imagination is the limit and you can apply anything creative on this basic sketch you can find below (left: front; right: back).

TV Model.png

Click HERE to download the reference, and, before you ask, no, this contest isn't India-exclusive. It's global!

• Basic Modules in TV You Need to Know
      • Display Panel
      • Speakers (Visible or Invisible)
      • Stands (Not limited to be Two Feet)
      • Indicator Lights (How they work when switching on/off TV)
      • Ports ( HDMI, USB, Ethernet, AV in, Option, RF, and so on)
    • Design Rules
      • Your design can be for the entire TV or just part of it.
      • Feel free to design the stands, but take the TV's weight into consideration, give details if you have a specific idea about materials being used.
      • Any good ideas on TV speaker design are welcome, but you can also opt for a soundbar.
      • Motorial design on single modules or motion ideas between remote / phone remote and TV are also welcome.
    When you are designing, please keep the following OnePlus TV Design Concept in mind.

Premium – OnePlus TV provides a more valuable product at a given price range, always looking at better material, aesthetic design, and high technology.

Harmonious – It’s more than a panel, a good design decorates your house; a smart motion highlights your life, an immersive watching experience entertains you.
    • Submission
      • Please submit your work in any of these formats – PDF, DOC, DOCX, PNG, JPG, JPEG, GIF , and remember an explanation of your concept must be provided (entry size should be under 16 MB).
      • Click HERE to submit your entry.
      • The duration of the campaign:
        • Submission: January 15 – February 7
        • Internal Judging to decide the Top 10: February 8 – February 22 (UPDATED)
        • External Voting to decide the Top 3: February 22 – February 28
        • Final Announcement: March 03
      • Your submission means you agree with the Terms and Conditions (India Only), Terms and Conditions (Other countries).
    • Award
      • Top 3 winners to win a OnePlus Flagship Smartphone
      • Top 10 Participants to be Rewarded with Certificates from OnePlus
    Here's a brief overview of the entire process:

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 10.39.43 PM.png
    • Q&A
    1. Is there age limitation for participants?
    Yes, as per the terms and conditions only 18 and above are eligible for the campaign.
    2. How many times one can submit?
    One can only submits once in one device, which means you could submit more entries if you try mutiple devices.
    3. Can I submit my design work if I am under 18?
    Yes, you can submit your designs even if you are under 18 years old. Unfortunately the same shall not be eligible for winning the award.
    If you are under 18, pls mark your age in first name column. The best designs in under 18 category shall be announced and showcased separately.
    4. What do i do if my design work exceeds the upload limit (16MB) ?
    You could attach your uploaded file on any drive(google, onedrive etc) in the word or PDF, and upload it.

Now, get to the drawing board and show us your ideas. Let the battle for the best TV Design begin!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021

2. Saswat Deb Barman
    Gingerbread Feb 9, 2021

Stickied Post
    Saswat Deb Barman , Feb 9, 2021 :
    Due to the influx of so many quality entries, we would be taking more time to carefull judge all the entries. Hence a small update on the timeline of winner announcement -

UPDATED TIMELINES :
    The duration of the campaign:
    • Submission: January 15 – February 7
    • Internal Judging to decide the Top 10: February 8 – February 22 (UPDATED)
    • External Voting to decide the Top 3: February 22 – February 28 (UPDATED)
    • Final Announcement: March 03 (UPDATED)

3. Saswat Deb Barman
    Gingerbread Feb 22, 2021

Stickied Post
    Saswat Deb Barman , Feb 22, 2021 :
    We just announced the official TOP 10 here, and you can start voting on your favorites!

Still, we want top highlight some honorable mentions that, while didn't get selected due to the contest's criteria and rules, show the amazing creativity that exists within our community! So, without further ado, please find below our special mentions.

1. Best in the group (age<18):

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 3.27.37 PM.png

Concept Note :

"I firmly believe that a TV should enhance the beauty of our living rooms irrespective of whether it is on/off, moreover, it should also work in sync with other smart devices. Hence, the top of the TV can also charge all supported devices wirelessly. Even the remote!
    The idea with OnePlus Alpha is, it becomes an extension of other smart devices all while having an identity of its own. Having integrated OnePlus's burden-less philosophy with the Alpha, it offers seamless connectivity and unparalleled design that isn't only beautiful to look at but also extremely functional. The intricacies have been highlighted in the first sketch, where the cutting edge design seamlessly transitions into a smooth curve that houses the speaker and offers surround sound.
    Sporting a sleek and modern look, the Alpha brings the most premium viewing experience into the living room. The chromium frame and speaker enclosure coupled with the tried and tested OnePlus stand adorns the living room even when it is not wall mounted. The Alpha is not yet another smart TV, it is the TV reimagined."

Link to Concept Deck: Special Mention 1

2. Best UI Design:

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 3.29.25 PM.png

Concept Note :

"My thought was to create a sleek and modern TV with amazing speakers and a great connection to the smartphone. I made the frame out of acrylic since it lets the light shine through in a beatiful way."

Link to Concept Deck: Special Mention 2

3. Most Pragmatic Design:

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 3.31.21 PM.png

Concept Note :

"Almost all of the current televisions look very similar and I think the design of televisions since the LCD era has not changed much, same black, tall, and slim panel hanging on the wall. This concept design is an exploration of the idea that televisions can be designed to look better and approachable. The design must feel fresh and inviting without getting too boring too soon. The normal TV usually ends up looking odd in an otherwise perfect room but this design aims to blend in the environment seamlessly and appeal to a more modern audience who is much more involved in other activities such as gaming. This concept also showcases the evolution of televisions from their contemporary form to something new which looks similar to the electronic devices which are used by everyone. The main driving force of this concept was to visualise the design in a similar way that of a framed paintings, making television a piece of lifestyle furniture, something which craves a second glance from the user, instead of becoming an ordinary black, blank panel."

Link to Concept Deck: Special Mention 3

4. Design Extraordinaire:

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 3.31.48 PM.png

Concept Note :

"OnePlus has already showcased premium-ness in previous design of TV product ranges. I have tried to design a more Premium, futuristic design with the Never Settle spirit.
    Two basic tools were used to design - Paint 3D and Paint S. Blending cutting edge technology with AI powered processor for a better user experience. I have tried to collect information on the best features in world, Area of improvement for OnePlus and tried to incorporate the same in my design. My basic idea was to crate 8K resolution TV which is not at present portfolio of OnePlus, A new AI integrated processor, A better remote control, power switch module, a stand for such a big size TV & a fresh bezel less design."

Link to Concept Deck: Special Mention 4

But none the less, appreciate you all for participating. See you again with another contest.

4. Navdeep_Malik
    Jelly Bean Jan 15, 2021

5. Cakepips
    User of the Year 2020 Jan 15, 2021

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jan 15, 2021 :
    Did someone say a CREATIVE CONTEST?!
    Yessssssssssssss!

Best of luck everyone! The world is your oyster.

6. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Jan 15, 2021

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

7. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Jan 15, 2021

Overzee , Jan 15, 2021 :
    2021 is starting to look better and better! Loving the creative contests you guys come up with. Really happy this isn't an 'India only' contest. @Cakepips, have you found your creative hat already? I'm busy finding mine:cool:. Good luck to all!

8. Cakepips
    User of the Year 2020 Jan 15, 2021

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jan 15, 2021 :
    Creative hat needs recharging. It's been so long, I can see cobwebs. Haha!

I'm so glad it isn't just India too... When I saw the tweet earlier in the week, it did peak my curiosity.

9. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Jan 15, 2021

10. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jan 15, 2021

Starcommander , Jan 15, 2021 :
    That's something new!

11. Batman360

12. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Jan 15, 2021

13. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9 Series Jan 15, 2021

14. AlienEye

15. asishgrwl
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 15, 2021

16. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Jan 15, 2021

the_o2 , Jan 15, 2021 :
    It's 10MB or 16MB 🤔🤔

BTW all the best to all participants :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021

17. SRD.
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2021

18. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jan 15, 2021

Venky61 , Jan 15, 2021 :
    Finally some global participation for the TV section. Really looking forward for some interesting design entries.
    All the best to the participants. :)

19. McJader
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2021

20. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Jan 15, 2021

22. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Jan 15, 2021

Overzee , via OnePlus 6T , Jan 15, 2021 :
    Next up a broader release for the OnePlus TV? I still haven't replaced my 'old' Sony Bravia from 2011. I still hope the OPTV will see (at least) a Europe release...🤞. As long as the Sony won't let me down by dying, I won't replace it for anything but the OnePlus TV.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021