[CONTEST] Little holiday secrets, what do you do for family and loved ones for the holidays?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Krisko
    KitKat Community Expert Dec 23, 2016

Adam Krisko , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Hey everyone,

Last month we asked you to Show us your OnePlus Collection, and that proved just how much you are part of our family, but the holiday season has begun, so lets talk actual family. Everyone, and every family, has different traditions around this time of year. Some families gather in huge groups to celebrate local traditions and holidays, some like to keep it small. So no matter what holiday you celebrate, be it Christmas, Hanukkah, Saturnalia, Festivus, or the Feast of Winter Veil, we want to hear about the special things you do with and for your family.

Here’s how it works:
    • Tell us the stories of the cool/fun/weird holiday traditions that your family has. Write a brief story on how the traditions got started, what happens, and if you’re up for it, provide a few pics. (I'll share mine below)
    • We will select THREE winners based on how cool and/or heart-warming the story and tradition are.
    • If more than 3 high-quality entries are received, all of our favorites will be placed in a pool, and winners will be chosen randomly. Winners will be announced on January 6th (You can enter the contest until 10 am January 2nd HKT.
    • Three winners will receive a OnePlus voucher worth $50 USD (or local equivalent). These vouchers are valid on oneplus.net.
    It’s that simple! We can’t wait to hear what fun things you all get up to during the holidays! We might even share some of your stories and pictures with the world via our social media channels!

Some "not so full of holiday cheer" rules:
    • Please be original. If we think you copy pasted a internet story, we will disqualify you.
    • There are real prizes at stake here, but be nice. We have to choose winners, which isn’t always easy. There is also a potential element of random selection in this contest. If you don't win, don’t be mad. This is all in good fun!
    • OnePlus reserves the right to cancel this contest if participation is low. No quality entries = no prizes. So, participate!
    Have fun everyone!

So the story goes like this..

When my family came over to the US, we brought many traditions with us. One of the most fun for me was always helping my grandma make butter rings. We make one for each couple or family that comes to either of our Christmas celebrations. It's a two day process, we make the dough on the first day let it raise in the coolness of the basement. (This is the easy part) The next day we cut the dough into many portions and then we cut each of those into thirds. Then you roll each of the thirds into ropes, and lay them in a row. Now this is where the interesting and fun part comes in, you braid them! But you have to start from the middle and braid half backwards!!! After many other steps, they end up looking like the picture below and I'll share the "secret" family recipe if you guys want me to as well. (btw this is only about half of the ones we made, the others were drying in the living room)

The reason this is so important is that this recipe was brought over from the "the old country," what is now known as the Czech Republic and Slovakia. They have been made every year for Christmas by my grandma since her mother passed away in 1969. For as long as I can remember I've been helping make these and this year, because I've moved to China, is the first time I cannot do so. I'm actually quite mad I don't have an oven to make them here… :(

upload_2016-12-23_19-52-14.png
    edit: I extended the contest one day. New end date of Jan 3rd 10 AM.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

2. The1Lion
    Lollipop Dec 23, 2016

The1Lion , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Reserved for the bestes story ever! :)

I come from a good sized family, I have 2 older brothers, an older sister and 3 younger sisters. As we grew older and moved out, we always tried to have everyone together at my parents for Christmas Eve. My father always had stockings for the children and he always would setup his "village" - a mixed scale of various model trains, cars and buildings setup on a folding table in the basement apartment. We would eat, drink, share stories and then exchange gifts. If there was a younger grandchild present, my father would pull out his Santa suit and dress up as Santa to surprise his grandchildren.
    My father passed away this last April. My mother had me take most of his village home since I have the younger two boys. This year I setup the village with my son, who keeps rearranging it during the day. I also dressed as Santa for my younger two year old. The tradition lives on :D.

Santas.jpg
    For New Years, I typically bake a lasagna and have a gingerbread house kit my older son and I put together. My wife has brought additional traditions like marching through the house turning on all the lights and making lots of noise. We toss coins at the entrances to the house, have a bowl of fruits of various colors and always make sure to have money in our pockets. ;)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

3. SteakHutzee
    Dec 23, 2016

markini, SoniaB, inffy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Plenkske
    Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 23, 2016

Plenkske , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Nice contest !
    Gonna try and write our traditions.

First it starts with a few birthdays: today (23th) is my dad's birthday, tomorrow (24th) is my brother's birthday and when my grandfather was still alive his birthday was at the 22th.
    At my dad's birthday a lot of family and friends gather at my parents house and we enjoy food and drinks. At midnight my brother's birthday starts ;) but still some family also go to my brother's place the next day. Usually we are there at christmas eve. To have dinner and to celebrate his birthday.

At christmas day me and my girlfriend go to her family. With family I mean: her parents, sister, grandparents, nephews, nieces, an aunt and an uncle. It's about 100km from our place, but a very nice place to visit. Her family has the tradition to start eating at about 14:00 and end at about 20:00 . In the mean time a lot of talking and laughing :) its a pretty nice family with a lot of different kind of people. But that makes it interesting ;)

At the second christmas day , which is how boxing day is called in the Netherlands, we gather at my parents place. With only our family: parents, brother with girlfriend and sister with boyfriend. Usually we start with a few drinks and some (board) games. Dinner is most of the time 4 course. Ofcourse not all after each other, but a lot of time in between. In the mean time we do some games or whatever we come to think of. After dinner we like to watch a movie, especially the classic Home Alone.

This year we also give each other a gift (or 2) with total value of €20,- , together with a little writing. We picked a name a few weeks ago, and we dont know from each other who we got. So its a surprise ofcourse.

5. ash23
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2016

ash23 , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Christmas dinner turned into Chinese takeout we still do a nice breakfast though

christinawright likes this.
  6. guijan12
    KitKat Dec 23, 2016

guijan12 , Dec 23, 2016 :
    But you still have to make it up, don't you :D

The1Lion likes this.
  7. guijan12
    KitKat Dec 23, 2016

That's a nice story, Adam, and hard to beat! ;)
    And yes, the other half of the recipe would be welcome. :p

SoniaB and Linanc7 like this.
  8. The1Lion
    Lollipop Dec 23, 2016

I'll Google it :p

guijan12, Ceasedd and Linanc7 like this.
  9. fonzobreaker
    Honeycomb Dec 23, 2016

fonzobreaker , Dec 23, 2016 :
    another nice contest, can't wait to see people's xmas traditions and to share mine as well.:)

10. Vector
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2016

11. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 23, 2016

Ceasedd , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Happy Holidays, small celebration here.:)Good luck everyone.

SoniaB and Adam Krisko like this.
  12. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 23, 2016

Ceasedd , Dec 23, 2016 :
    You forgot Happy Festivus.

Olavxxx likes this.
  13. iTrollz
    KitKat Dec 23, 2016

iTrollz , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Veselé Vánoce

Pre profesionálov
    IMG_286.jpg

14. guijan12
    KitKat Dec 23, 2016

Okay, here's mine:

I was born and raised, and still live in the Netherlands, so every Christmas it is cold.
    And as the whole world is: we're dreaming of a white Christmas.
    But when we were just married, we worked 3 years as volunteers in Africa, for a small aid organisation.
    Our first two children were born there. :)

We lived near the Indian ocean, and being Dutch we often went there for a swim.
    But local people seldom visited the ocean: they were afraid of it and of the mermaid that could drag them into the ocean and drown them...:eek:

Except for Christmas: then literally truckloads of people would jump into the water for cleansing and bathing.
    As far as one could see, people were splashing and playing and partying in the water.
    Only on the first Christmas day!
    The people would bring containers and jerry cans of salt seawater back home, to cleanse themselves from the inside....:fearscream:

And despite the hot summer sun, people also sang 'I'm dreaming of a white Christmas....' :sweatsmile:

We're still talking about that, every year! :hearteyes:

15. maicasajusta
    Jelly Bean Dec 23, 2016

SimonRam, SoniaB and Mr. BG like this.
  16. Voltansky
    Cupcake Dec 23, 2016

Voltansky , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Hi everyone!

My and my younger sisters always do all the gift wrapping for our parents, each packaging the presents for the other. This year my sister is going to get a present that she really wanted, but my inner evil genius told me to add a little twist of my own.
    Long story short, my sister is not a musically gifted individual. She's the only sibling that can't sing a song and doesn't have a good ear for music. She's cool about it, has many other talents and is an awesome person, but we tease her a little, as siblings do.

So this year I packaged her gift like this:

[​IMG]
    (shot on my OnePlus 3)

Inside is a smaller box with the real gift which is a beautiful cruiser skateboard that she's been talking about for the past year. I can't wait to see the surprise on her face seeing the package and the relief opening it!

So here's my holiday secret this year. Did anyone of you guys ever pranked someone in a similar fashion?
    If you did, please share your story and,of course, have a wonderful holidays, everyone!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

17. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Dec 23, 2016

SoniaB , Dec 23, 2016 :
    That is so awesome!

pa5t1s, Ceasedd and The1Lion like this.
  18. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Dec 23, 2016

SoniaB , Dec 23, 2016 :
    Tough time for you this past year I know, but it's great to see you carrying on the tradition started by your dad with your boys.
    RIP The1stLion

meatandy, theshinybeast and The1Lion like this.
  19. The1Lion
    Lollipop Dec 23, 2016

Mad skills you for there ;):D

My patents did something similar where they took common packages or boxes that were empty and put gifts in them. Of course the gag was known once one gift was opened so the surprise impact was less.

meatandy and Voltansky like this.
  20. rphlfjrd
    Lollipop Dec 24, 2016

rphlfjrd , Dec 24, 2016 :
    Not a tradition, but a Christmas story from back when I was still a kid.

2005, I was six years old. I don't know the difference between 110V and 220V appliances and devices. Being a kid on vacation, I was eager to play Metal Slug on our PSone. I plugged it in directly, not through the 110 to 220V transformer. Looking back now after 11 years, I don't know how it survived, but I actually was able to play the whole day until it was time for dinner and when I turned it off it started to smoke. My dad definitely got mad but the PSone still worked after that, just need to save often cuz it restarts on it's own.