[CONTEST] Little holiday secrets, what do you do for family and loved ones for the holidays?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricardroido
    Froyo Dec 24, 2016

ricardroido , Dec 24, 2016 :
    well with kids getting older and being away for work or university most of our traditions have ended . this year will actually be our first year all together in 3 years . but with having our youngest son one tradition still remains the annual wrapping of the door . i have done it for nearly 12 years now whether it be one of our sons the daughter or an unsuspecting neighbour . its tradition for me to wrap someone door in wrapping paper . some find it funnier than others as 2 years ago i did 3 of my neighbours one of which wasn't very happy lol. last year was our youngest sons turn and as you will see in the video he also wasnt very impressed .
    Merry Christmas to all and may 2017 be the ultimate year :)

meatandy, Tobikage, Deepak.Si and 3 others like this.
  2. obakesan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 24, 2016

obakesan , Dec 24, 2016 :
    Definitely one contest I have no chance in, no traditions, no family aside from the wife, mother passed away years ago, father never knew, rest of the family are estranged and apart, so my only tradition is not really celebrating Christmas as such in the traditional sense. Aside from a few little novelties like some light up led lights of santas you would not know it is Christmas on my house. Never the less I try to be happy in my own we and tend to just enjoy ourselves such as seeing a movie, go for a walk, get lots nice food and scan the sales during Boxing Day for anything we might need or want,

Don't let me hum bug everyone else's spirit is and the most best of luck to all the other contestants lots of amazing stories here.

Merry Christmas

updated: actually it just occured to me maybe we do have some tradition, we like to drive around at night and look at all the fantastic lights and decorations on the houses, it's like driving in a winter wonderland my local area quite amazing and nice.

then we also like to go the supermarket, get lots of deals on good food, anything from pizza to desserts, and just have a nice little feast curled up on the sofa and watch a nice movie. Namaste!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016

3. Abhilash.Sharma
    Eclair Dec 24, 2016

4. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 24, 2016

Dunnow , Dec 24, 2016 :
    But will it be like this this time or will end up being a "pool" of names and taking them out... like the other contest that had mixed rules and they did whatever they wanted instead of rewarding creativity?

5. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 24, 2016

Dunnow , Dec 24, 2016 :
    That is an instawin in my book.

I will not participate, as they make up the rules as they go and then they don't reward the true winners, but know that if I did, and I won, I would give my prize to you my freund.

SimonRam and obakesan like this.
  6. sarthak61199
    Froyo Dec 24, 2016

7. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 24, 2016

meatandy , Dec 24, 2016 :
    You didn't have to write a five hundred word essay... j8kVjQx.png ... JKsX6sA.png

theshinybeast and The1Lion like this.
  8. jizang
    Lollipop Dec 24, 2016

jizang , Dec 24, 2016 :
    christmas don't start unless we all sit round and listen to King's College Carol / Carols from kings. Why is it a tradition? Cause it started 62 years ago :(

Adam Krisko likes this.
  9. pa5t1s
    Marshmallow Dec 24, 2016

pa5t1s , Dec 24, 2016 :
    Just a message to wish you a Merry Christmas @Adam Krisko and a Happy New year if we don't talk meanwhile ;)
    I won't participate to this contest because my first resolution for 2017 is to stop wasting my time with this kind of 'events', giveaways (most, if not all, are fake), contests (too much cheaters)... Community has changed, but not in the right direction, imo.
    Anyway, enjoy this time with your family :)

meatandy and theshinybeast like this.
  10. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 24, 2016

youbi , Dec 24, 2016 :
    First of all Merry Christmas to everyone. :)

Here in Portugal the tradition of most families for the Christmas night is to eat the "consoada" that is basically a simple and light dish of boiled Codfish, potatoes, and a type of Portuguese cabbage. But after that (and before :p) you eat all sort of Portuguese traditional sweats and salty stuffs, so much that in the end of the night usually you can barely move. :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

Then everyone opens the gifts of each others (that's the part the kids like more :p) and after that the tradition is going to a place on the center of the town where a really huge fire is burning and people get around it to get warm and either sing xmas songs or just talk to old friends.

Its basically that. ;)

@Adam Krisko, Ohh, BTW, the cake you shared here looks great and reminded me a little bit of the one we usually eat here in Portugal that its called "Bolo Rei" (kings cake).

This one wont survive this night for sure. :p :D IMG_20161224_160529 1.jpg

SoniaB, sreenu101, guijan12 and 3 others like this.
  11. The1Lion
    Lollipop Dec 24, 2016

meatandy and pa5t1s like this.
  12. Tobikage
    Nougat Dec 24, 2016

Tobikage , Dec 24, 2016 :
    You evil man !!

SoniaB likes this.
  13. basimc
    Gingerbread Dec 24, 2016

basimc , Dec 24, 2016 :
    This Christmas is the first Christmas with a pet in the house and the girls wants to be a little bit creative, so they planned a little dress up party with little boy kitten our newest addition to the family. The best part of this story is to show you the documented records aka photos of this photo shoot party. Although he did not like the exterior part of the photo shoot in the snow. I hope you all enjoy the story and video edit below.
    https://goo.gl/photos/Pw5aBoUdf2CJn7B46

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everybody.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016

SoniaB, Deepak.Si, Ceasedd and 3 others like this.
  14. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 25, 2016

Ceasedd , Dec 25, 2016 :
    We play secret Santa.:) That's one of the reasons I've got a lot of One Plus swag,some of it was given to me by @Nicole Q. (Thank you) some of it won in contests and the rest I bought (couse I work hard. I usually wrote One Plus's web site on my Xmas list.;) Of course it's better to give than to receive;and that's best kept quiet lest I get a big ego or something silly like expecting stuff in return.Anyway Happy Holidays.Although I recently switched to LeEco Pro, I still love my One Plus devices and this community,Best regards.....Ceasedd.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

15. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Dec 25, 2016

Ceasedd , Dec 25, 2016 :
    #4 looks awesome!

meatandy and basimc like this.
  16. christinawright
    Honeycomb Dec 25, 2016

christinawright , Dec 25, 2016 :
    And the Mardi Gras tradition in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, with King cakes, is whoever gets the piece of cake with the hidden plastic baby in it has to buy the next cake! Yum!
    I want to start a tradition of giving OnePlus gifts to my loved ones for Christmas..

17. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 26, 2016

meatandy , Dec 26, 2016 :
    Our custom of having a grandma stay overnight started when one of the grandpa's passed away years ago , not wanting to have them home alone Christmas Eve.
    This year we entertained two grandmother's, playing card games , reviewing picture books, and digital pictures while reminiscing about old times .
    Then loading a movie to watch late into the night.( Both grandma's were sawing logs before the movie was over:p)

Christmas wouldn't be the same without a chunk of fruitcake to selfishly keep all to myself :rolleyes:;):D
    IMG_20161220_144147_01-2610x2598.jpg

barb, theshinybeast, guijan12 and 2 others like this.
  18. djmfire
    KitKat Dec 26, 2016

djmfire , Dec 26, 2016 :
    Hey @Adam Krisko ...Merry Christmas for yesterday!
    My tradition is a simple one, and not strictly family, but feels like it now . As a firefighter, we often do a lot in the community.Every Christmas we go to the local kids hospice. Amazing place. I have gone there for 16 years now. Every Christmas day, wether we are on duty or not. Only an hour... But amazing. All the kids there, from 1 to 15, are sadly terminally ill, and won't see another Christmas. We take the fire engines and donated presents, and just spend time playing with the kids, driving them round in the fire engines and having fun. Then give them a hug, and off we go. Often in tears, as we know they won't see another . It's humbling and really brings home how precious life is. When we went yesterday, my little girl gave me one of her presents, and said give this to one of the kids, it will be more important for them. I cried. Then we went for the visit, and as we left a little boy said simply.....
    Thank you.....You have given us your time. For us time is the most precious thing we have.
    I went home to my family, some went back to work.
    We all know next year we will be back there. It's both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time.
    Amazing place. Amazing staff. Amazing kids.
    And all run by charitable donations.
    Happy Christmas all

19. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 26, 2016

Mr. BG and djmfire like this.
  20. lostLambda
    Lollipop Dec 27, 2016

lostLambda , Dec 27, 2016 :
    I have a yearly tradition of waking up early on Christmas morning before anyone else in the house has, then tiptoe into the kitchen and over to the spice rack. I then quietly spin the spice rack for a few seconds with my eyes closed and then let the rack come to a rest. With my eyes still closed, I randomly select one bottle of spice. I then open my eyes to see which spice it will be this year. After I see which spice it is, I open the bottle, tilt my head back, and pour approximately one tablespoon of it into each if my eyeballs. When I begin yelling in intense pain, the whole household wakes up startled and comes rushing in to see what has happened. When they flick the kitchen lights on, they discover that it is just me again performing my yearly Christmas ritual with eyes blazing red and swelling. "Merry Christmas!" I hoarsely blurt out to my loved ones with tears and snot cascading down my twisted face.