[CONTEST] Little holiday secrets, what do you do for family and loved ones for the holidays?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djmfire
    KitKat Dec 27, 2016

meatandy and Mr. BG like this.
  2. johnkops
    Gingerbread Dec 27, 2016

johnkops , Dec 27, 2016 :
    As we are growing older it seems the customs are fading.

When i was younger it was a big thing putting up the christmas tree and making ornaments with pasta and rice and crayons and gold dust and silver dust. You felt the festive mood. We were Writing and sending christmas cards to relativs and friends afar and abroad. And so it was with the weather that was wintery like. Dinner the whole family on christmas day, a big party on new years eve to celebrate my birthday as well. Lots of food and drink and laughs and smiles.
    Playing poker for the older ones, playing 31(black jack like) for the younger ones with peanuts and beans.
    A process that lead to a sweet tiredness for all.

And then as you grow older traditions fade. The children grew up and dispersed, the grandparents died, the chrismtas spirit is dying. The only thing remaining is some sort of gift exchange, cold viber messages with wishes and the recollections of past Christmases.

Someone needs to build a time machine.

Deepak.Si, christinawright and Mr. BG like this.
  3. Mirimes
    Gingerbread Dec 27, 2016

Mirimes , Dec 27, 2016 :
    I had really cute traditions when i was little that i don't do now :')

The evening before St Lucy's day (13 dec) I prepared a cup of sliced vegetables (usually carrots) and another one with water for saint Lucy's donkey, and the morning after when waking up i always found that the donkey mixed it all ^^ and saint lucy always left a candy trace from the door to the christmas tree to let the donkey find the exit.
    For christmas it's like the common tradition sais, going to see the local
    live nativity scene the night before christmas, then bed, waking up with gifts under the tree and going to eat local traditional food with all my family at grandma's place.

Deepak.Si and christinawright like this.
  4. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Dec 27, 2016

Mr. BG , Dec 27, 2016 :
    As i list both my parents a long time ago we started to celebrant Christmas with friends, together we cooked Christmas dinner, sometimes in our house, or at their place.

When the children came we started or own little Christmas traditions, making things for the Christmas tree with them, drawings, all kinds of home made decorations. And the little houses with the lights came in. The first one was a present, and in the year we collected more.

IMG_20161211_165544.jpg

There are no secrets really, we love walks to compensate a little for the abundance of food, usually we go to see castles.

IMG_20161226_132748.jpg

there is a Christmas movie the kids run like 10 times every year, Christmas CD that gets on my nerves after a few days.

I'm glad it's over, lol...

5. dcmcc24
    KitKat Dec 28, 2016

dcmcc24 , Dec 28, 2016 :
    I guess I'll contribute. Every year on Christmas we go to a local homeless shelter and help give out food to people in need. This year we gave out Turkey, stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie to over 400 people :) The tradition started after a rough part of my life when I was younger. I grew up very poor and eventually we ended up being homeless for a short period of time. We were able to get help at a shelter by kind people and after that we decided that we would go back and help by bringing canned food and helping serve homeless people food at Christmas that year. It was so rewarding seeing how appreciative the people were that people were there to actually stand by them and help them at their biggest time of need and it really touched our hearts, so we decided we would go back and do it again the next year. Eventually it turned into a yearly thing and we recently did it for the 17th year in a row! If any of you guys or gals get the chance, please go help out a homeless shelter. You can find one close to you by going to http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/ The people there do need your help and they are very appreciative of it!

Adam Krisko and Deepak.Si like this.
  6. Jellevh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 28, 2016

Jellevh , Dec 28, 2016 :
    I am from the Netherlands, where we also have another holiday called Sinterklaas which is almost similar with Christmas but with some differences. So we don't have a tradition with presents or somehting because we do that with Sinterklaas. But I do have some traditions. Every year on Christmas Eve I go to "3FM Serious Request", a charity event where 2 or 3 DJ's of the Dutch radiostation 3FM lock them selves up in a glass house for one week without eating anything to raise money for a silent emergency every year. I always go to watch the Glass House and enjoy the music and go to the final show where the final amount of money is being revealed, accompanied by a friend of mine. Then at Christmas Day me, my brother, my mom and dad and my mother's sister and brother with their children gather around in a restaurant called "Kawop" in Lochem, the Netherlands. There we always have a delicious dinner. Then at Second Christmas Day, which we have in the Netherlands, we either eat at my fathers sister or they will come to ours to have a little dinner again.

As you can see, not that much traditions here for us, although eating with the family is also a good tradition ofcourse and 3FM Serious Request is very fun!

Some impressions of 3FM Serious Request:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UPDATE: Just came up with another tradition we have. Every year my father makes Oliebollen on Christmas Day. Oliebollen is traditional Dutch food which is eaten much in the end of the year. It's some special dough with, if you want, raisins and you deep-fry them. Most of the time they are eaten on New Year's Eve but we also make them on Christmas Day and they are delicious!

Oliebollen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017

Adam Krisko likes this.
  7. F_Abubacker_Sulaiman_pRl
    Cupcake Jan 1, 2017

8. SpartanPlusOne
    Eclair Jan 1, 2017

SpartanPlusOne , Jan 1, 2017 :
    Hello Everyone, My name is Afnan and I live in the city of Lucknow in India. We celebrate Christmas and New Year by gathering at a place called as Hazratganj which is located in the centre of the city. This time history was made as for the first time more than 40,000 people danced to various Bollywood songs, while welcoming 2017 at Hazratganj. The mood on the streets of Hazratganj resembled to that of a high-end lounge with unlimited access. This mega event certainly gives the clubs, hotels and restaurants a run for their money as a large section of the public has already headed towards Hazratganj to welcome New Year. Food stalls, facade lighting and kids' zone also attracts a large number of footfalls throughout the evening.
    1483298340144.jpg

9. vintagetech
    Honeycomb Jan 2, 2017

vintagetech , Jan 2, 2017 :
    The holidays are a favorite time for our family, we gather together and pass on family memories. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve there is enough food to feed an army - we are a New York Italian family and the number one rule is that we have to have enough food for everybody. Sometimes my mom's Aunt M and Uncle B come over. They are highly entertaining because sometimes Aunt "M" will lecture Uncle B about how he sounds when he talks. We always talk about the good times our family members had in the past. I love hearing about my mom growing up year after year. When my mom was growing up she lived in one neighborhood with "her people" which were her friends. Based on the stories, my mom was the mastermind of some very funny pranks. My favorite story to re-live is when my mom bought stencils and poster board. My mom and her friends worked hard to make professional "Buy One Get One Free!" sings. Mom hatched a plan with her friends and everyone had a task. The day came to deploy the professional grade signs and the ice cream man was the target of this prank. The ice cream man was named Richard and he wore an all white uniform. Mom and one of her friends distracted Richard by using water guns filled with black disappearing ink. They shot the water guns on his white uniform while saying "Hello Dick" repeatedly. The other friends were placing all the professional grade "Buy One Get One Free!" signs on the truck. Of course, part of the plan was that this prank was actually done a few streets away from where my mom and her friends lived. Eventually Richard had to stop the ice cream truck and investigate why all the neighborhood kids were asking for their second item free... LOL. I love hearing stories of relatives and laughing. Those experiences make the family members that I never met come alive. Over the years I have learned about so many family members who passed away before my time or still live in New York.

Some years were able to go to New York during the holiday times as a family and create some of our own memories. One year were able to go on a special tour only for our family of a building in New York City, where Albert Einstein worked during the "Manhattan Project". This very same building is where the first movies with sound were created. This building currently is a hub for various artistic talent striving to create art and earn a living doing so. As usual for our family, some of our family members were late in getting to the location and we had taken two cabs parked right next to each other. Apparently, the taxi driver of late coming family members decided to become a tour guide of New York City without telling my family in his car while he was still charging them for the taxi ride... LOL

I cannot forget the food... My dad makes a few of his family favorites, my mom and Aunt make a few of the maternal side of the family favorites. My dad makes a ridiculously huge container of pineapple salad, which is a delicious fruit salad like dish. Our family has some German Michigan and New York Italian culinary influenced dishes at every holiday dinner and family get together. Christmas dinner is Italian style with my mom's mouth watering lasgana and my Aunt makes Baked Ziti and Anti Pasto Salad. I'm making myself hungry just typing this...

The holiday dinners and family gatherings are always filled with laughter, eating, and celebrating family.

10. SnapDragon01
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 2, 2017

SnapDragon01 , Jan 2, 2017 :
    Italian:

Ciao a tutti,
    questa è una piccola storia su come trascorro le vacanze di Natale qui nel mio piccolo paesello.

Tutto inizia il 22 dicembre quando termino la scuola per andare in vacanza, già da allora nel mio piccolo paese si respira l aria Natalizia, con addobbi, luci e canzoni.

24 Dicembre: come ogni anno la vigilia di Natale la festeggiamo dai nonni, che preparano un gran cenone...Scoccata la mezzanotte si danno gli auguri per un buon Natale e si festeggia brindando con lo spumante e mangiando un dolce tipico del mio paese la "Pittanchiusa". Dopo si va in chiesa a celebrare la nascita del bambin Gesù. Terminata la messa tutti noi ragazzi ci riuniamo e accendiamo un falò, cantiamo e beviamo fino all' alba. Noi il falò lo chiamiamo "Fichera"

25 Dicembre: come di consueto si va in chiesa la mattina a dare gli auguri a tutta la popolazione, finita la messa si torna a tavola a pranzare, questa volta dagli altri nonni...

Nei giorni seguenti ho trascorso le vacanze in giro per il paese, e in giro per la Calabria, andando a fare shopping e a guardare insieme agli amici i film di Natale in uscita al cinema...

31 Dicembre: Come ogni anno i mie festeggio l ultimo giorno, a casa con i mie genitori. Mia madre cucina tutto a base di pesce per quella notte, con "Paccheri allo scoglio" , "Calamari Ripieni", "Gamberi al Forno", ecc. Ma non può di certo mancare la "lenticchia col cotechino" . Qui da me si narra, chi mangia lenticchia l ultima sera dell' anno avrà una grossa fortuna per tutto l' anno che verrà...Quest anno per fare un omaggio a voi di OnePlus ho cucinato insieme alla mamma dei nidi al purè di patate, nel quale ho messo la lenticchia è un biscotto speciale. La serata procede con il conto alla rovescia per annunciare l'anno che verrà, brindando e mangiando il "Panettone Pandoro"... Da tradizione del mio paese la notte del trentuno si gira per le vie suonando e cantando, per annunciare a tutti l inizio di un nuovo anno, questo tradizione è chiamata "Strina" ovvero la serenata per le vie del paese.

1 Gennaio : Si festeggia la prima dell' anno andando ad ascoltare la messa in chiesa, e donando gli auguri a tutta la popolazione, per poi tornare di nuovo a tavola a mangiare. Quest' anno mia madre a deciso di cucinare da noi invitando i nonni paterni e i nonni materni, cucinato tante buone cose...

Questa è la piccola storia di come trascorro le vacanze nel mio paese, ora sono un po' giù perché tra una settimana si ritorna a scuola...

Buon Anno a tutti,
    Snapdragon01

#NeverSettle

English:

Hello everyone,
    this is a little story about how I spend the Christmas holidays here in my little village.

It all starts on December 22 when I finish school to go on holidays, even then in my small country can breathe the Christmas air, with decorations, lights and songs.

December 24: Every year on Christmas Eve to celebrate with his grandparents, who prepare a great dinner ... struck midnight will give his best wishes for a Merry Christmas and is celebrated by toasting with champagne and eating a typical dessert of my country "Pittanchiusa". After you go to church to celebrate the birth of baby Jesus. After Mass we gather all of us boys and we light a bonfire, sing and drink until the 'dawn. We call it the bonfire "Fochera"

December 25: As usual you go to church in the morning to give his best wishes to the entire population, after the Mass is back at the table for lunch, this time from the other grandparents ...

In the following days I spent the holidays around the country, and around the Calabria, going shopping with friends and watching Christmas movies output to the movies ...

December 31: As every year, I my celebrate the last day, at home with my parents. My mother cooks all seafood for that night, with "Paccheri with seafood", "Stuffed Squid", "Prawns Baked", etc. But certainly can not miss the "lentils with cotechino" . Here to me it is said, those who eat lentil the last evening of 'year will have a large fortune throughout the' year that will ... Quest year to do a tribute to you OnePlus I cooked together with the mother of the nests to mashed potatoes , in which I put the lentil is a special cookie. The evening proceeds with the countdown to herald the coming year, toasting and eating the "Panettone Pandoro" ... From the tradition of my country on the night of thirty-one turns to the streets playing and singing, to announce to all the beginning of a new year, this tradition is "Strina" call or the serenade through the streets of the country.

January 1: It celebrates the first of the 'year going to hear mass in the church, and giving the best wishes to the entire population, then return back to the table to eat. Quest 'year my mother decided to cook from us inviting her paternal grandparents and maternal grandparents, cooked so many good things ...

This is a little story of how I spend the holidays in my country, I am now a bit' down because in a week returns to school ...

Happy New Year to all ,
    SnapDragon01

#NeverSettle

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

11. Adam Krisko
    KitKat Community Expert Jan 3, 2017

12. Sera69
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 3, 2017

Sera69 , Jan 3, 2017 :
    I ate all the mince pies, drank all the beer and hogged the remote throughout the holidays. Encouraging their diet, improving their life expectancy and forcing them to interact with each other bringing the family closer together. Imma saint.

13. sfomin
    Nougat Jan 4, 2017

rphlfjrd likes this.
  14. kanaancollins
    Froyo Jan 6, 2017

kanaancollins , Jan 6, 2017 :
    see my family has never had much money but I remember every year me and my older sister and later my cousin would all save up our allowances for a month to buy a gallon of egg nog and some ice cream and we'd stay up all night talking about what we liked about each other and improvements we had seen each other make in our lives all whilst waiting for Santa or uncle Eugene who always smelled of tobacco and booze (he always brought baskets of candy and $20 for each of us) then around one mom would bring out our gifts Wich was always a movie (Land before Time for me) and some semi expensive chocolate (ferrero rocher) and then after my grandpa and uncle left my mom would join us kids in our conversation and when we had toys she always played along with us.

15. Adam Krisko
    KitKat Community Expert Jan 6, 2017

Adam Krisko , Jan 6, 2017 :
    Hey all,

We've selected 10 people as finalists and out of those 10, randomly selected the 3 winners. (gotta love random.org) The three winners are as follows. @dcmcc24, @vintagetech, and @Jellevh. All of the people @Chris dB and myself picked as finalists are listed below in the spoiler.

For the winners, I'll be contacting you shortly to give you the prize!

16. Jellevh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2017

Jellevh , Jan 6, 2017 :
    Wow, thanks! Congratulations to the other winners!

vintagetech, dcmcc24 and Adam Krisko like this.
  17. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Jan 6, 2017

youbi , Jan 6, 2017 :
    Congratulations to the winners. :)

I guess the Christmas wasn't still over for some lucky ones. :p :D

dcmcc24, Adam Krisko and Jellevh like this.
  18. SnapDragon01
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2017

19. The1Lion
    Lollipop Jan 6, 2017

The1Lion , Jan 6, 2017 :
    Congratulations to the winners! It was a good holiday season, now back to work ;):D

dcmcc24 likes this.
  20. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Jan 6, 2017

Mr. BG , Jan 6, 2017 :
    Did I win something, really? 8)

I'm a finalist, getting there...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

Jellevh likes this.