[Contest] OnePlus 4th Anniversary - My OnePlus Story

1. lgp
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2017

2. Charlied575
    Eclair Dec 12, 2017

3. kireton
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

kireton , Dec 12, 2017 :
    My son introduced me to OnePlus 3 years ago and I fell in love! I'm on my 2nd OP - now have the OP% and I love the dual camera. I had to have it!!! Kind of wish I had held out for the OP5T but oh well. My friends are all curious about my phone and jealous of the great pictures I take.

meatandy likes this.
  4. dec1153
    Honeycomb Dec 12, 2017

dec1153 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    The best moment was when DHL informed my they had delivered my OnePlus 5T. I love it!

5. Charlied575
    Eclair Dec 12, 2017

Charlied575 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    My story started when I won a OP-3 from c/net, Girlfriend like it got a 3T and I got a OP-5 now happy with it and promoting every chance I get

6. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Dec 12, 2017

David Y. , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Can't thank you enough Andy!

Mr. BG, keithnyc, script and 3 others like this.
  7. pirata_1985
    Nougat Dec 12, 2017

meatandy likes this.
  8. Great_Gupta
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

Great_Gupta , Dec 12, 2017 :
    I'm a student, which means I'm limited on money, and then all these other phones keeps getting more and more expensive with adding anything new or worth while, plus theyre designs and we're getting exhaustive , then I saw the OnePlus 5T launch, literally fell in love with the phone ordered it as soon it was made available. I can say, with confidence, that this phone has been my best investment in technology.

keithnyc and FAB1150 like this.
  9. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Dec 12, 2017

Cheetosdust , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Funnily enough, I discovered OnePlus because of the invite system. When it was launched, several threads in other forums mentioned it - people asking for them like it was a Black Mirror episode.

I couldn’t be hassled with that, so my first OnePlus device was the second one - after the invite system was dropped. I didn’t like it that much. The phone overheated and crashed, the problem with the Snapdragon 810 kept haunting the rest of the phone. So I returned it.

However, when OnePlus 3 was released and I started seeing the glowing reviews I decided it was time to give the company another chance. I ordered one and I still have it - still working perfectly. It’s running Oreo and I believe I still could use it as my main phone.

Next was the OnePlus 5. I think the hype hurted the phone. OP3 was a smash hit and people were expecting a jump in quality like they got from the OP2 to OP3. Instead, the phone was a refinement of the formula. The design is almost the same, the dual cameras didn’t perform like the DSLR people were hoping to have in their pocket.

I don’t think it was flop - but I also don’t think it was a major success. A mild upgrade hurted by the blow up of the “Jelly Effect”. I believe OnePlus soon realised they had to do something. I liked the phone but I didn’t loved it. I returned it. Now I have the OnePlus 5T - the phone the 5 should have been.

I love it and I kept it. Even with all the “noise” around the company - recently, the whole “1080p gate” - I still think it’s a great phone and the company is listening and, more importantly, learning. They can prove they’re doing so - fixing all the problems uncovered and reported by the community and the fans. Time will prove that - or not.

About the “best moment” with the OnePlus, I have to give it to discovering the performance of the OnePlus 3. I know people seek different functionalities on their devices. For me, it’s the performance. That feeling of knowing the horsepower is there whenever I need it.

With the OnePlus 3, it was like that one month, six months, one year, after the first boot. It really is an amazing phone - if you don’t care so much about the camera and the vibration motor - it’s really bad.

And to end, credit where credit is due. A lot of people say the costumer support is bad, really bad. Whenever I needed it, it went perfectly. I got the phones early than expected and when I decided to return 2 of them, it really was an hassle free process.

So yeah, here’s to another four more years. Keep your head down, OnePlus - it’s when you’re focused and humble that you do your best work.

keithnyc, SoniaB, youbi and 2 others like this.
  10. AOPPER
    Eclair Dec 12, 2017

11. 01baftb
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

01baftb , Dec 12, 2017 :
    My best moment was when I received OPO in the mail and loved holding it in my hand due to the amazing sandstone texture in the back! In addition, I loved sharing invites to other OP community members that wanted to purchase OPO.

keithnyc likes this.
  12. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Dec 12, 2017

The1Lion , Dec 12, 2017 :
    A trip down memory lane! I first heard of OnePlus in December 2014. I was on the hunt for a new phone but not liking the increasing prices of the flagships. My HTC One S was no longer being updated and I was just reading and learning about how to unlock the bootloader and how to root devices. I had even bought a cheap Firefox OS phone to tinker with. I still wasn't ready to try on the HTC though because I was worried I might brick the only phone I had that was "usuable" as a daily driver. I was pricing several phones but really liked the Samsung Note 4 and was leaning towards a used Note 4 as my next purchase. But then I read about the OnePlus One. I kept reading and learning more about it.

Eventually I landed here in the forums on January 7th 2015 and by January 13th received and used my invite (remember those?) I was glad to find these forums as the alternative was buying an invite from eBay which would have caused me to NOT buy the device as I was not willing to pay for an invite. I in fact received two invites while madly responding to post about available invites :D I returned one and used the other to get the OPO 64GB (for $50 more than the 16GB it was a no brainer ;)) By January 16th I had posted my intro and was welcomed into the OnePlus community and a cupcake no more (see my signature for the EPIC thread) :rolleyes:

It wasn't always sunshine though. My OPO died and for a time it was all dark and gloomy :( Eventually I received information to return the device for a replacement. The users here on the forums gave me hope as I had started to question (and somewhat regret) my decision to buy the OPO - I always felt I was taking a big chance on OnePlus at that time. But having users share that their OPO's were working fine for about year or so gave me hope.

Fast forward to today and almost my 3 year Anniversay on these forsaken - I mean fun :D - forums and I am STILL using my OPO as my daily driver! :eek: I have replaced the battery once but other than that it's been functioning for me and now is running on Lineage 14 OS (may jump on the Oreo band wagon soon). I have many here I'd consider friends and mainly hangout on that thread I made famous (at least I like to think of it that way) :oops: I've been contemplating a new phone, but am on a tight budget and the funny thing is that most of the good budget phones (in North America at least - and the USA specifically) that are about $200 and less are perhaps only slightly better than my OPO - sure that's opinion but when I try to justify spending money on a new phone I was a phone that gives me an upgrade from what I have. Last time I did this, I just ended up buying a new battery for my OPO instead :D

There you have! Three years of celebrating, joy, complaining, joking, winning, losing, trying to get past KitKat for what seems to 100th time :rolleyes::D:p

ashacekar, David Y., keithnyc and 7 others like this.
  13. brunox54
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

brunox54 , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Back in 2014, my previous phone broke down around the time that Oneplus One was launched. So I was looking for a new phone and came across Oneplus One through my colleague at a time. I spent some time researching on it and it was pretty much the best value phone in the market. With 64gb storage and 3gb ram, it was pretty much ahead of the curve. Due to the scarcity of the invite at the time, it took me a while before I managed to obtain an invite. After I bought it, I fell in love immediately. The phone was fast and had a lot of storage space. The only complaint I had was the os support. I first started with cyanogen os. When oxygen os came out, I didn't move since I knew that there wouldn't be anymore upgrade. Then I moved to cyanogen mod and stuck there for a long time and had a lot of problem with it including crash and heat issue. However, after I upgraded to lineageos, everything changed, it becomes my best phone again. Most of the bugs I experienced were gone.

Fast forward, when Oneplus 5 came out, I passed on it and a couple months later, the rumor about OnePlus 5T was spreading. I was looking forward to it and bam at launch, I bought another shiny phone which will be the phone besides me for years to come.

keithnyc likes this.
  14. F_Cool_Yyc_OCvx
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2017

F_Cool_Yyc_OCvx , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Wow so fast it already 4 years. Oneplus still doing great since the oneplus one till now oneplus 5t. Every phone that is created by onelplus is a master piece. All the spec and the design of oneplus phone is at the top. I love their slogan 'NeverSettle' and oneplus manage to keep that up. Well done oneplus!

15. Marc Setó
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

Marc Setó , Dec 12, 2017 :
    In 2014, my brother brought the OnePlus One. At that time, the only companies I knew were Samsung and Apple. 1 year later, in summer, I told my brother to buy another phone, and he said that I had to buy OnePlus because was better than Samsung and Apple. From here, I began to love OnePlus. About 1 month later you released the OnePlus 2. I reached the top to get an invite, I registered with my email and with the email of whole family. In October, I opened my email, and I saw that there was an invite to buy the OnePlus 2, and I did it. In june 2016 my brother decided to buy the OnePlus 3. In September, my mother wanted to change her iPhone, so I proposed that she buy me the OnePlus 3 and she could keep my OnePlus 2. She accepted. Luckily, also in September, I won your quiz for a OnePlus 3 case. In October, two friends asked me to recommend a mobile phone (because since I saw OP2 I started to love the mobile world). For her, I recommended the OnePlus X (because she didn't want to spend a lot of money) and to my friend, I recommended the OnePlus 3T that came out in November. So, until now, that's all my whole OnePlus family. And I'm sure that my next mobile will be the OnePlus 5 or the OnePlus 6 or the OnePlus 7. Thanks for all! (Sorry for the errors)

#NeverSettle #Una

(Weekly Update 200 winner :D)

keithnyc likes this.
  16. LinkRar
    Froyo Dec 12, 2017

LinkRar , Dec 12, 2017 :
    I got involved with OnePlus after I purchased the 2. I was so excited to have a high-end phone with a low-end price point (had to purchase it with my own money, which added to the joy). I got it over a year ago, and it's served me well ever since.
    My favorite memory with OnePlus was having one of my photos featured on their Instagram page. (photo link, if you're wondering: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYEThmyn0ui/?taken-by=thatothernathan)

keithnyc likes this.
  17. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 12, 2017

meatandy , Dec 12, 2017 :
    Thanks for putting me to sleep after the 500 word mark.:D:p;) 552 actually

Nice story there.:)

keithnyc, The1Lion and Deepak.Si like this.
  18. mort_
    Gingerbread Dec 12, 2017

mort_ , Dec 12, 2017 :
    I thought about calling the moment I managed to get my hands on an invitation to buy a OnePlus One to be the best one, but I might have a better idea.

In preparation for the 3T launch, there was a challenge to post the best own black and white photos to win something, probably a midnight-black version of this phone. Well, I did not win it but nonetheless I had a few very entertaining and enjoyable hours while browsing through own photos and daydreaming about all these moments I shot them. It was a small time traveling situation and I'm happy that I took part.
    btw: I still love my black 3T, that I had to buy.

19. GopalB.
    Nougat Dec 12, 2017

keithnyc and Punk_69 like this.
  20. marinobiagio
    KitKat Dec 12, 2017