[CONTEST] What is your place's famous cuisine?

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Nov 22, 2019

Cheetosdust , Nov 22, 2019 :
    13:15 here and you share that photo? Cool cool cool, that's the ultimate payback! :D

It looks delicious, obviously. And the problem is I know how that tastes like, so I guess I'll have drool for lunch. :p

2. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Nov 22, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Nov 22, 2019 :
    Why after so many times in Portugal I never tried this? Why you Portuguese guys hide this? Now I'll have to come back... :rolleyes:

3. Sigmund29@51
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2019

mate@kx and Starcommander like this.
  4. michelin
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2019

5. Wonderwoman13
    KitKat Nov 22, 2019

Wonderwoman13 , Nov 22, 2019 :
    Woww this reminds me of my childhood!
    I used to love having buns filled with sweet butter thing inside!!!:D

Looks sooo tastyyyy!!!!
    And francesinha reminds of this Indian snack, called bread pakoda.
    bread-pakora-recipe.jpg
    Only difference is, this is not served with the sauce and has potato stuffing:D

And @Cheetosdust, what a coincidence that francesinha is served with an ORANGE coloured sauce:p

6. Sandman68
    Cupcake Nov 22, 2019

7. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2019

StopItRawr , Nov 22, 2019 :
    Were you at the Macau GP??!?!?!

Total tangent but super jealous, shame about the food though as it seems!

B.I.T.S. and Starcommander like this.
  8. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Nov 22, 2019

dsmonteiro , Nov 22, 2019 :
    By complete coincidence, had no idea really. :D Ended up being more of a nuisance.

Starcommander and B.I.T.S. like this.
  9. antonyjen

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019

10. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Nov 22, 2019

Cheetosdust , Nov 22, 2019 :
    We hide the Francesinhas so that awesome people will always have a reason to return. :cool:

If only there was a photo to illustrate that amount of cheesiness...

Into the Inferno.jpg
    :p

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::sweatsmile:

Rumor has it, Francesinhas' sauce are actually Cheetos tears. Not mine, personally. That would be awkward for @dsmonteiro. :innocent:

11. chinmaydhala
    Eclair Nov 22, 2019

chinmaydhala , Nov 22, 2019 :
    I consider myself belonging to two different parts of India, Odisha and Gujarat, am going to share one famous food from each state.

Chhena Poda a desert from Odisha my native place. It is made up of Chhena Cheese (Paneer), Sugar, Cashew nuts, Raisins mainly. Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!
    [​IMG]

Now for Gujarat where I was born and brought up, there are so many things worth sharing. For now enjoy these Dhokla. It is made with a fermented batter derived from rice and split chickpeas. Mouth watering!!!
    [​IMG]

12. VishrutGoyani
    Donut Nov 22, 2019

VishrutGoyani , Nov 22, 2019 :
    The taste of this dish is still on my tongue...It's delicious, spicy and mouth watering dish called KHAVSA.
    It's made in Yogichowk area located in Surat from Gujarat.
    Here you can take a look of its pictures and how its made.

1574435227233.jpg

1574435227303.jpg

Procedure:

Heat some oil and add garlic, green chilli, gram flour and sauté it well.

Now add coconut milk and stir well.

Add water as per requirement and salt as per taste. Stir well till it starts to boil.

Coconut soup for khavsa is ready.

Now in a serving bowl, take some papdis, rice noodles, spring onions and coriander leaves.

Add garlic chutney, chaat masala, schezwan chutney and lemon juice.

Now pour hot coconut soup.

Garnish it with some papdis and Surti Veg Khavsa is ready.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019

14. Starcommander
    Lollipop Nov 22, 2019

Starcommander , Nov 22, 2019 :
    I am able to smell these dishes!
    Ohh God! someone please Make something that I eat and don't get fat :(

15. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Nov 22, 2019

Ruby G. , Nov 22, 2019 :
    @Wonderwoman13 This is the best thread!!!! I writing so many food names down to try at some point.

Coming from two cultures, I will do both Hong Kong and Texas (yeehaw).
    One of the most iconic meats of Hong Kong cuisine is Cha siu ("fork roast") pork, which is roasted at high temperatures for a charred/crispy exterior, finished with a beautiful red sweet glaze. It's a meat of contrasts (savory + lightly sweet, soft + crispy), served either on rice, or stuffed in white Chinese buns.

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.25.55 AM.png

From Texas side, our famous smoked meat is BRISKET. It's beautiful too! Slow smoked over wood, it smells lovely and melts in your mouth. Served with slices of soft white bread, pickles and bbq sauce. Mmmm can't wait till I am home for Christmas.

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 10.24.40 AM.png

16. superplus
    English POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 22, 2019

superplus , Nov 22, 2019 :
    same

extra spicy! ^^ or gtfo ;-p jk

ooh I love them too, haven't made them in a while for some reason...

Oh my, I have to find somewhere to try this!!

Bad sloth!

gibb na0 pl0x!

B.I.T.S., Shivang Joshi, YRJ and 3 others like this.
  17. superplus

Haha, nice, I was like, where you _live_ ok, let's go with... ah.. of course, already posted, now I'll have to think of something else

^ this <3

Rule 3. Duplicate Content >:-3

mmm definitely will have some of those! they remind me a bit of taralli, a nice Italian snack made in various versions, more sweet with fennel seeds, or spicy, with chili flakes/seeds, and lots of other options:
    [​IMG]

Good thing I'd already made plans to go to the chippy tonight :cool: even before seeing this thread

I got that, but think some might be worried that you're making a pescatarian cuppa :D and who could blame them, after learning about "iron brew" ;-p

I take it you haven't seen any of the "new" (yes, relatively old now) Dr Who? :rolleyes:

mmm <3
    what about kippers for breakfast? :p

hear hear! :D

I think I might be with you on that one :D

weird... the quote about the bitter balls went missing... o_O I was going to say something clever and tag @Cheetosdust, eh well

sooo, let's see, I haven't seen kosambari yet, a refreshing salad from Karnataka I like a lot
    [​IMG]

but quite a typical snack from my homeland, which is not going to be very popular here I imagine, is "Hollandse Nieuwe Haring". These herrings are caught between May and July, and the first "vaatje" of herrings caught is auctioned with the proceeds going to charity, generally fetching between €60-100k
    [​IMG]

The traditional way of processing the herring is that they're gutting on board after being caught, but the pancreas is left in place, which helps preserve the fish and means less salt is needed in the brine they are kept in, so you get to taste more of the flavour when eating them fresh.

The way to eat them is quite simple, and usually just involves adding chopped raw onions, grabbing it by the tail, dipping it in the onions and... enjoy, but for most here probably not :p oops now I sounded like Malidan ;-p
    [​IMG]

You can of course make them as "fancy" as you like, adding gherkins (pickles), mustard, mayonaise, a bap (bun), etc. :rolleyes:

18. Anshu3110

Anshu3110 , Nov 22, 2019 :
    I suddenly feel super excited to share all the chilli knowledge I've gained so far.

SoniaB, Starcommander and superplus like this.
  19. superplus

Ohhh this sounds so tasty! Thanks for sharing! :D

I love Cha siu, it's usually what I order from the restaurant close to uni here :D and that brisket looks absolutely delectable!

Ok, that's it... abandon thread before I think of eating my laptop screen :eek:

Shivang Joshi, SoniaB, script and 3 others like this.
  20. Anshu3110

Anshu3110 , Nov 22, 2019 :
    I'm new here, what is this spoiler thing?

superplus and Starcommander like this.