2. BKiv
    Eclair May 7, 2020

BKiv , via OnePlus 6T , May 7, 2020 :
    Is there any ETA on this update?

jhngil likes this.
  3. narceoneplus2
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 7, 2020

narceoneplus2 , via OnePlus 6T , May 7, 2020 :
    I've contacted OnePlus several times but no response back. Honestly, I don't think this will be resolved because of the carrier issue. That's why my next OnePlus device will be directly from OnePlus for sure.

4. Hurtxxx
    Cupcake May 19, 2020

5. jhngil
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2020

jhngil , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 12, 2020 :
    any news on this? I just recently found out why I can't download certain apps which I really need. Apparently a lot of used OnePlus 6t's are being sold, which is what I just got, flashed with the Global ROM 😑. Took me some time to find out and it pisses me off why there are T-Mobile variants scattered outside the US. Sure get an apk online and don't use GPay, but that app is like a payment wallet thing and it gets updated frequently.

Caomhin likes this.
  6. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 12, 2020 :
    It was supposed to be fixed over a year ago, however as the 6 is now falling down the support chain, I doubt it will happen, no longer a priority I would imagine.

Plenty of TMobile Variants on Amazon getting sold around the world, the issue is, as you state, its impossible to know this until you try apps that need a certified Playstore.

This is due to the T-Mobile Bootloader and International rom mismatch.

ironass and jhngil like this.
  7. jhngil
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2020

jhngil , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 12, 2020 :
    bummer.. 🙁 thanks for the info btw I really appreciate it!
    well, I guess I'll just try to workaround with the apk thing as I don't think I'll be using the T-Mobile ROM anytime soon bc of all the "negative things" I've read about it, don't wanna risk it. Though, I'm still hoping even just a tiny bit they'd at least fix this on the coming updates y'know for a 2 year old well loved device. Anyway cheers!

Caomhin likes this.
  8. Caomhin

One way around it is to relock the Bootloader and install the TMobile version of Android 10. At least the phone would be certified, I do believe it shouldn't cause ab issue with using the phone elsewhere, as it would have already been Carrier unlocked, which is separate to the Bootloader.

Or use a Custom ROM from XDA, there are quite a few.

I am gonna see if @ironass is available to see if he can give more info on this.

jhngil likes this.
  9. jhngil
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2020

10. Caomhin

Can't give a time frame for @ironass to get back to you, depends when comes back online. But there is always ways and means and he is up on the TMobile issues.

11. ironass
    Lollipop Aug 12, 2020

ironass , Aug 12, 2020 :
    The issue is with T-Mobile (USA) and their mega locked down bootloader and ersatz, lacklustre, infrequent, updates.

Until Android 10 it was possible to convert the T-Mobile (USA) model to the global model with Google certification. However, since then, the certification has been broken on converted models and their owners have been dumping them on to the market in an effort to get rid of them.

The issue for anyone buying such a converted model is that they can either maintain it as such, without certification or if they are on the T-Mobile (USA) network, they can revert back to the T-Mobile (USA) firmware using the T-Mobile MSMDownloadTool and update through T-Mobile (USA) or try and locate T-Mobile flashable firmware to update the phone.

I am afraid that the OnePlus 6T T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant is pretty much useless for certification outside of the USA and T-Mobile network.

It is case of, "caveat emptor", when buying the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant.

Caomhin likes this.
  12. Caomhin

ironass

The issue is with T-Mobile (USA) and their mega locked down bootloader and ersatz, lacklustre, infrequent, updates.

Until Android 10 it was possible to convert the T-Mobile (USA) model to the global model with Google certification. However, since then, the certification has been broken on converted models and their owners have been dumping them on to the market in an effort to get rid of them.

The issue for anyone buying such a converted model is that they can either maintain it as such, without certification or if they are on the T-Mobile (USA) network, they can revert back to the T-Mobile (USA) firmware using the T-Mobile MSMDownloadTool and update through T-Mobile (USA) or try and locate T-Mobile flashable firmware to update the phone.

I am afraid that the OnePlus 6T T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant is pretty much useless for certification outside of the USA and T-Mobile network.

It is case of, "caveat emptor", when buying the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant.​

Thanks for jumping on 😎[e]1f44d[/e]

How would it fare out with a custom rom option?

13. ironass
    Lollipop Aug 12, 2020

ironass , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Not come across a custom ROM that utilises the T-Mobile (USA) bootloader. Custom ROM's are from after the bootloader on up. Just done a quick check over on xda developers and I cannot find any custom ROM's or rooting method that can restore certification to a converted T-Mobile (USA).

I have even checked the T-Mobile section of this forum and my own thread, T-Mobile 6T to Global model Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!), and no one seems to have found a way around it.

Caomhin likes this.
  14. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 13, 2020 :
    Ok, thanks for the info. So there's gonna be a lot of these converted phones on the market, good to know.

People outside the US will be wondering why their phones are not certified.

ironass likes this.
  15. Tonio2649
    Donut Oct 21, 2020

Tonio2649 , Oct 21, 2020 :
    Would you be able to help me?

I converted to the international version on my 6T, but couldn't update to android 10. I'm not sure if I missed a step.

So I reverted back to the T-Mobile version.