COS 12.1 Annoyances & Fixes

1. bikas Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

bikas, Aug 27, 2015 :
    Hi Guys,
    Here's consolidated list of fixes we've for COS 12.1. Almost all of the "fixes" are easy and don't require any special skill or tool. For some, instructions are given.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vertical layout of launcher -
    Long press on home screen > Press 2 dot (like ^) menu to expand the settings > Click on the Layout under Drawer Settings > Profit. Essentially the value will change from vertical to paged.

Bloats -
    There are a few - Cyanogen's browser (mind you this is only browser in COS 12.1), TrueCaller (it's a service app, so there's no UI and app is not visible in drawer), Boxer Email, Boxer Calendar ... (add if you know more)
    All these apps can be uninstalled from Application menu without needing any root.

Bing as homepage -
    It's minor annoyance but it still is. Change it from Settings > homepage. Remember for every chrome browser (tested only on that) you install, Bing will be set as homepage. You've to remove this every time. Browsers like UC are not affected.

Cyanogen Recovery -
    Again a minor thing and this was always the case with COS. Also only for ones who have custom recovery. Go to Developer Options and uncheck Update Cyanogen Recovery.

CM recording XPosed module -
    OK, to be honest, I was only testing this for @bgizzle. But if you're among those who leverage the feature of call recording in CM through XPosed, there's a bad news for you. Seems like this feature is entirely gone for COS 12.1 and you cannot get recording this way. Use some apps from play store now.

Cyanogen Dialer replacing Google Dialer -
    This is a big one! And unfortunately you'll need custom recovery for this to work. Just install some custom recovery, TWRP 2.8.7 is recommended. Then boot into recovery and this file https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIElBgzVpAwRU9UamNKekFxZzQ/view?usp=sharing.
    All credit for this goes to @bgizzle and I've just created alternative URL.
    Note - this is just Cyanogen Dialer and has nothing to do with any of Truecaller apps or services. If you like the UI, keep it. There's no privacy breach with this app.

Changing APN on itself -
    Reported by @bgizzle, see the reason here https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/to-those-with-spotty-data-in-spite-of-changing-your-apn.350868/. As of now there is no confirmed solution to this.

Low Battery Life or need Custom Kernel -
    Shamelessly copying @indest of what he messaged me. Sorry but he did explain completely.
    Flash this: AK.300.OPO.CM12.1 and this UKM (version numbers don't match... don't worry, it will work)

Install Synapse from the play store (once the above has been flashed)

Download this and move it to /sdcard/synapse/saved profiles.

Once the above is done, enter synapse> go to profles> scroll down and select restart> when app opens again, go to profile> select styloking> hot the checkmark (top right)> restore profile> wait for the app to reboot> hit the big X on the top right (once the app reboot). Be sure to confirm the changes with the screenshot in the styloking post.

Adding the suggestion of @Likort, one can flash this kernel as well
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/orig-development/kernel-crispybacon-t3176685

Gesture -
    Disable all the gestures (Camera, Music, and Flashlight) and then reboot the device.
    Expected: Gestures to be still disabled.
    Actual: Gestures get re enabled.
    Solution: The issue is quite rare to occur. Happened only few times for me. We need more input here.

Bad call quality -
    Problem : bad call quality (audio shuttering)
    Solution : disable "OK Google" on all screens (Google app settings). You can keep it for Google Now and Now launcher only
    Thanks to @theblackhole for this tip!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do post your annoyance and hopefully someone will have a good solution.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

DonKingKong, psx, NV Zahid and 23 others like this.
  2. rgs Jelly Bean Aug 27, 2015

3. ash23 Jelly Bean Aug 27, 2015

4. bgizzle Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

bgizzle, Aug 27, 2015 :
    There is a fix for that ;).

jharrison1185 likes this.
  5. tobes Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

tobes, Aug 27, 2015 :
    On flashing the other dialer: would this cause problems for any future incremental updates?

6. eckbauer KitKat Aug 27, 2015

eckbauer, Aug 27, 2015 :
    No problem with the new Dialer,it works well.
    Just uninstall True dialer services.

deviantartjr and Shazeb like this.
  7. WA_Bob Jelly Bean Aug 27, 2015

8. williamhaven Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

Shazeb and rockhardy like this.
  9. dbertman Froyo Aug 27, 2015

dbertman, Aug 27, 2015 :
    I hate the new folder icons on the homescreen for grouped apps, they look ugly. Is there any way to change it back to the circular style of before?

10. Kaizoku Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

11. monckk Eclair Aug 27, 2015

monckk, Aug 27, 2015 :
    I like the new dialer! Its simple and works fine, better than google dialer.

Shazeb and rockhardy like this.
  12. bow_one Gingerbread Aug 27, 2015

bow_one, Aug 27, 2015 :
    Use Google Now launcher instead of Cyanogen's.

13. dtheem Gingerbread Aug 27, 2015

dtheem, Aug 27, 2015 :
    I agree, looking for a way to edit as well.

mamathi3 and kristen.thurman like this.
  14. jzeitlinger16 Eclair Aug 27, 2015

jzeitlinger16, Aug 27, 2015 :
    If the system partition has been mounted as Read/Write (as in it has been edited) the update will fail, so I imagine replacing the dialer will break incremental updates. What you can do is simply reflash the system partition back to stock through fastboot without touching your data partition, and then you should be able to incrementally update.

satsingh and tobes like this.
  15. Fonetix Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

Fonetix, Aug 27, 2015 :
    I actually like it. Didn't like the bright white background of the group folders in the past

16. chuckufarleys KitKat Aug 27, 2015

chuckufarleys, Aug 27, 2015 :
    Please change the last item, to TrueCaller!!! and correct the 'dialler' to "dialer".
    And you can just uninstall the TrueCaller and True Caller Services.

Rafztafara likes this.
  17. bikas Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

bikas, Aug 27, 2015 :
    The worst that would happen is Truedialler will replace Google Dialler and you've to flash the zip again.

That's why I call it an annoyance and not the problem. Annoyance is only for few

18. bikas Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

bikas, Aug 27, 2015 :
    Lemme correct the name once I get to PC. Btw it's neither Truedialer nor Truecaller, just custom Cyanogen dialer.

19. Gaurav910 Gingerbread Aug 27, 2015

Gaurav910, Aug 27, 2015 :

Thanks for sharing solution actually I also did not like new dallier . My main complaint was that it does not show the details of phone no. Like if one contact have multiple phone number & if you have saved each number with different name(like with place etc) then in that case it shows does shows correct name instead its shows name as "custom". That was very irritating for me as i have grouped numbers & name them different name.

satsingh and thegios like this.
  20. bikas Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 27, 2015

bikas, Aug 27, 2015 :
    OK updated the post with correct warnings. The dialer itself is not alarming.