CPU governors and battery saving mode

1. mokky123
    Eclair Nov 25, 2014

mokky123 , Nov 25, 2014 :
    (okay first and foremost, im a noob. so dun get upset with me and i have searched the forum before creating this thread)

Im using a oneplus one, as u know, this phone by default is using cyanogen mod. which has the options to switch to power saving mode,balanced, and performance and change cpu governors. what i would like to know is:

1) By changing to battery saving mode (automatically, the min proccesor will be set to 300 and max 1024) Is it okay for me to still turn on battery saving while im playing demanding games? like some online rpgs. or other games like Hayday. I have been using this mode for a couple of days, tested it, yes, lag a bit while playing these games. Will i damage my cpu, ultimately, my phone? i even still use power saving while playing modern combat 4, and, no lag -.-

2) Can i simply change my cpu governors? and the min and max clockspeed at will. (at least not setting at the extreme low or high) I mean, if we will severely, or mildly damage the phone by doing all these changes, why were they there at the first place? the developer would ban them right? @@

3) Will i damage my phone too if i force restart/reboot my device? when my device freezes. these 2 days i have had 3 freezes already after installing boom beach and CoC. weird, uninstalled it. but am curious to know whether force restarting will hurt my device.

Thanks in advance, and sry if i upset-ed u ><

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

ronoldo likes this.
  2. aakashjhaveri
    Lollipop Nov 25, 2014

ronoldo likes this.
  3. stevenching
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2014

stevenching , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Changing to a lower frequency and playing high demanding games wouldn't damage your CPU in any way. But I personally do think that the application 'might' crash due to the unresponsiveness.

You can definitely change your governors, clock speed, etc. AFAIK, performance profile will max out the clock speed on the processor, and you can't go higher unless with another kernel?

leemartin and ronoldo like this.
  4. bnonymous
    Jelly Bean Nov 25, 2014

ronoldo and mokky123 like this.
  5. Joyyy
    Jelly Bean Nov 25, 2014

Joyyy , Nov 25, 2014 :
    You can change the speed i did it with Power Saving mode too all fine. From 1024mhz to 1500mhz

ronoldo likes this.
  6. mokky123
    Eclair Nov 26, 2014

mokky123 , Nov 26, 2014 :
    omg thanks so much~ yea i do experience some lag~ good to know that im not hurting my phone~ just wanted to save some battery and prevent the high heat ><

ronoldo likes this.
  7. mokky123
    Eclair Nov 26, 2014

yea i know bro, mine was 300 to 1200 ++. thanks anyway=p

Joyyy and ronoldo like this.
  8. AndyLao1031
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2014

ronoldo likes this.
  9. mokky123
    Eclair Nov 26, 2014

i dun wanna play with undervolting >< although theres good guide out there but im still, well, afraid i will spoil my phone ><

ronoldo likes this.
  10. ronoldo
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

dwaynelson and mokky123 like this.
  11. mokky123
    Eclair Nov 26, 2014

guys, out of curiosity, is it damaging to FORCE/HARD restart our android? (holding power button for 10 secs) compared to normal reboot. I dunno why these few days my android been freezing a lot. 3 times already after installing some apps. i have uninstalled them already. but wanted to know does force restarting bad for phones.

ronoldo likes this.
  12. dwaynelson
    KitKat Nov 26, 2014

ronoldo and mokky123 like this.
  13. Rahul
    Honeycomb Nov 26, 2014

Rahul , Nov 26, 2014 :
    Being noob will not upset anyone here. :) we are happy to help community.

1. Power Saving mode usually underclocks the processor in order to save some juice. That's the reason why some heavy games are lagging. But don't worry, it will not damage your phone. Underclocking is the reason why your games are lagging.. To enjoy games at higher fps, you can put your phone on to performance mode. It will drain your battery but phone will not lag.

2. Nothing will damage your phone unless you decide to overclock it above the maximum clock of your SoC. Your phone is capable of stressing at max frequency for longer time. Max frequency of SoC is generally designed as a fail safe maximum frequency which can persist for longer time than your actual use.

I hope that clears the issue.

ronoldo likes this.
  14. mokky123
    Eclair Nov 26, 2014

omg thats a clear explanation, thank you!
    my phone kept freezing these 2 days, 3 times already after installing some apps and i had uninstalled them. when u say"nothing" will damage my phone does this include force restarting?i have heard force restarting is bad ><

ronoldo likes this.
  15. mokky123
    Eclair Nov 26, 2014

i know =p i wanted to know whether doing this will hurt my device or not

ronoldo likes this.