CPU Temperature Readings For OPO - Normal Or Abnormal?

?

Are these CPU Temps normal?

1. Yes, they are normal

51.6%
  2. No, they are abnormal

48.4%
  1. kidrow
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 8, 2015

kidrow , Jan 8, 2015 :
    Hi all,

I've just purchased my 4th OPO & feel that it heats up excessively (according to me) with camera usage (i.e. video recording, photography with the default app) & even basic games. Even my earlier ones suffered from the same issue.

But now I'm starting to think that maybe this amount of heat is just normal for flagship specs. I've never handled a flagship before. So this is unknown territory for me.

I was always under the impression that a high end processor wouldn't heat up with basic gaming since it doesn't have to work as much. But my assumption seems flawed because my OPO heats up almost as much while playing Candy Crush Saga as it does while playing Asphalt 8.

So I present some data in the form of screenshots collated over 3 OPOs below. The data is basically-

a) the CPU temperature readings from the CPU Temperature app by Mooncakes. This is found in the 'Top Center' position in the images below.

b) the CPU usage (%), Available RAM (M), & Battery Temperature (t) readings from the Cool Tool app by DeviantStudio. [The graph in the background is the CPU Usage]. This is found in the 'Top Left' position in the images below. (This is missing from the screenshots from OPO#2 & OPO#3 as I wasn't running Cool Tool when I had those OPOs.)

c) the time when the screenshot was taken. This is generally in the 'Right Top' or 'Right Bottom' position, in the images below.
    Generally, the readings were taken at approximately every 5 minutes or so. So the screenshots are generally at the 5/10/15 minute mark.

Before recording the temps I've allowed the phone/s to cool down to idle temps before every instance of testing. EDIT: Also, the performance profile & CPU Governors etc. were kept at defaults, i.e. 'Balanced' & 'Interactive' respectively.

The apps I've used for the tests are* -
    1. Candy Crush Saga
    2. Asphalt 8
    3. Video Recording for 5 mins on the default OPO app with default settings @1080p
    4. Subway Surfers
    5. Epic Citadel (Single benchmark run @ ultra quality)

*Not all of the apps were used on the earlier OPOs (viz. #2 & #3). So the data is missing.

I'm sharing the readings here because I'm in the unique position of having owned 4 OPOs & having CPU temperature readings from 3 of them. What I hope this thread will achieve is -
    a. Get some feedback from others on whether these temps are normal or abnormal.
    b. Get some suggestions on fixes, if the temps do happen to be abnormal.
    c. Act as a reference for others to gauge their OPOs by, & maybe even encourage similar testing.
    d. At the very least, act as an object of passing interest.

The reason I've explicitly spelt out a statement of purpose is to hopefully dissuade members from saying something to the effect, "Quit your whining.... What else do ya want for xyz bucks?!" :)

Thanks in advance. Cheers & have a nice one!

Screenshots follow-

A] Current OPO

OPO#4Jan7CC.jpg
    OPO#4Jan7Asphalt.jpg

OPO#4Jan7Cam.jpg

OPO#4Jan7SS.jpg

OPO#4Jan7Epic.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B]
    OPO#3

OPO#3Dec17CC.jpg
    OPO#3Dec17Asphalt.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    C]
    OPO#2

OPO#2Dec14CC.jpg
    OPO#2Dec15Asphalt.jpg

OPO#2Dec14CamEpic.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

AAB4K, caspere, ash621 and 2 others like this.
  2. kidrow

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

rationaldevil likes this.
  3. shiva.959
    Cupcake Jan 8, 2015

shiva.959 , Jan 8, 2015 :
    In my experience with the HTC One m7, heating is a common thing which doesn't really cause any problems. Not to mention it had a metal body so I could feel the heat more. And IIRC, I read somewhere that quad core phones do heat up a bit.

4. Vicky_cbe
    KitKat Jan 8, 2015

@BH! likes this.
  5. Oliver Queen
    Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2015

6. Oliver Queen
    Jelly Bean Jan 8, 2015

Oliver Queen , Jan 8, 2015 :
    The temps are in C. Are you sure?

7. cabhay
    KitKat Jan 8, 2015

cabhay , Jan 8, 2015 :
    its ok. in my experience candy crush heats more than asphalt always. use cputemp app. it can generate temp profile for apps. and shows correct temperature

8. cabhay
    KitKat Jan 8, 2015

cabhay , Jan 8, 2015 :
    a tip for you always keep mobile in balanced mode and switch to performance when playing 700mb+ games

9. VirtualApes

VirtualApes , Jan 8, 2015 :
    well i guess 60 c is so not normal, not even for any processor or chipset !

10. Vicky_cbe
    KitKat Jan 8, 2015

Vicky_cbe , Jan 8, 2015 :
    nothing can be done with the temperature in 801 chipsets!! but the heat sinks do their job well inside...so no need to worry and also dont make your phone go to boiling heat :p

manishv likes this.
  11. zeus.01.01.01.01
    Lollipop Jan 8, 2015

zeus.01.01.01.01 , Jan 8, 2015 :
    post ur battery temp too..

12. cabhay
    KitKat Jan 8, 2015

13. cabhay
    KitKat Jan 8, 2015

cabhay , Jan 8, 2015 :
    use app given by him (cputemp) (not cpuz)

14. v4v3n
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2015

v4v3n , Jan 8, 2015 :
    Your CPU temp is OK IMO. The app shows the core CPU temp and not what you feel at the back of your phone. So i feel this is ok.

15. rationaldevil
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2015

rationaldevil , Jan 8, 2015 :
    Note: Should've posted the thread in the global forums since there are more OPOs globally and they will be more than ready to help with comparative data without any usual banter(mine included).

I do not own or have not owned a flagship device so there's no practical comparative data I can give. I suggest you also try out different apps for CPU temp monitoring(https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/26554/can-i-monitor-my-phones-temperature and CPU-Z).

(To somewhat know how these apps work: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24797869/how-to-get-cpu-temperature-in-android
    https://developer.qualcomm.com/forum/qdn-forums/general-discussion/27280
    "I cannot confirm that this is the correct measurement point, but it does raise and fall based on workload - and the values make sense as they represents temperatures from 30-75 C. " a line from the above thread on the qualcomm forum about SD800 in Nexus 5. Again I know this doesn't help in any way but still...)

But I will point out some posts(Might not help you with your decision making):

@abhibnl Your opinion here please.

@ash621 @coolboy_ammy @apoorvS @Rashukhanna @satishkmr @Gudds please post comparative data whenever you get a a chance to allow a practical comparison.

Next I suggest for people having phones other than OPO with 801 SoC to post their CPU temps so that we can get a perspective here about the SD 801. Maybe @ndr696969 @CosmicPaladin can help out here.

I also suggest you take this discussion to get more comparative data about different 801 SoC phones to xda-forums and reddit. And try some of those reviews(I don't knw of any) and videos(I saw Geeky Ranjeet or some other Indian reviewer give constant update on CPU temp in his reviews) too that provide temp info while playing games or using phones to get more data.

Honestly all this is just a big hassle, so if someone with very good technical knowledge about this can clarify how these SoCs and devices handle cooling and what can be considered normal range from Qualcomm's viewpoint(Kidrow, you can try and get OnePlus' viewpoint on this too), then it would be a great help.

Unfortunately @vantt1 won't be of any help here.

ankitgupta7292 and Dhrumin226 like this.
  16. abhibnl

abhibnl , Jan 8, 2015 :
    Well i played NOVA 3 for almost half an hour and the max temperature that my device reached was 47c as reported by Boeffla Kernel app. But i've under-clocked it to 2.2 GHz. Well it's true that flagship devices tends to get hotter and hotter with increasing load but also keep in mind, we're dealing with 2.4Ghz frequency here that too without any fan or other cool down help. So it'll surely get hotter. But all chipsets have thermal throttling. So thermal throttling will kick in once our chipset temperature will raise to a threshold value. The best you can do is underclock it a bit. Also i had S3 before it and it too got hotter whenever used for like 45-60 minutes. but it's base frequency was 1.4Ghz so compare yourselves. IMHO chipset makers should really work on the core tempratures. But the latest 20nm, 14nm processors should help with that.

17. kidrow

kidrow , Jan 8, 2015 :
    Firstly, thank you all for your replies.

Yeah, I don't anticipate any problems per se because there will be throttling & later shut down should the heat be still unmanageable. But I do find it discomforting to hold, & that's my concern. I should at least be able to play basic games while commuting.

Don't you find it strange then that CC, Subway S. & Asphalt 8 all reach around the same temp levels (both cpu & battery) in around the same amount of time? & also the video recording?

I think the app is accurate. The cpu temp is about 10 deg. C more than the battery temp which seems correct to me. & Cool Tool is consistent with CPU-Z when it comes to the battery temps.

Any idea why that could be? & my concern is it's not just CC alone.To quote myself -
    All testing done in Balanced mode only.

Battery temps are in the left hand corner. (Available for the current OPO alone.) (Click to see larger image to make temps readable)

Thanks. So your readings are consistent with the other ones I've posted in the OP.

Well, there were a few recent threads in the global forums about heating but nothing concrete came out of it. Seems most owners have moved on.

+1

Might try posting elsewhere as well.

Ranjeet uses a laser based temp gun, so his temps are the surface temps iinm. But yeah, I think one can definitely extrapolate from those.

Lol.... It's a feature dammit, :p

18. rationaldevil
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2015

So there's no real threat to the phone with these temperature readings, right??

19. abhibnl

abhibnl , Jan 8, 2015 :
    Well afaik, there should be no harm cause once reached to the threshold limits, thermal throttling will automatically kick-in, limiting frequencies to 1.2-1.5Ghz range. Atleast it worked on S3 pretty fine. The max temperature my opo ever reached is 55C after i guess an hour of MC5. But that's pretty obvious. But i already knew about the heat before buying it because running a processor on 2.4Ghz for 30-60mins without any colling fan, that's a ****-load of heat.

20. rationaldevil
    Honeycomb Jan 8, 2015

Using a cover would help?? But then will the heat dissipation be a problem??