Crack the modem to enable 3G/4G

1. adam_sam
    Froyo Nov 21, 2014

adam_sam , Nov 21, 2014 :
    UPDATE: the solution is by flashing the zip file named (Signed_Modem_3-4G.zip) through your custom recovery (I use TeamWin) .. the file is found here and you need to reply to the post with 10 chars reply to be enabled to download it
    http://www.oneplusbbs.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=469532&extra=&page=1

(originally got the idea from here)
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/44s-update-broke-my-china-unicom-4g-access.176076/#post-7320137
    ************************************************************************************************************

Hello everyone, the S44 update did break the modem hack that was used to enable 3G/4G on some carriers -mine is China Unicom- and flashing the same modem file as before doesn't work anymore.
    after searching in the Chinese 1+ forum, I found a way to do that but can't totally get what is needed to be done. It says that I need to flash the files attached here but I'm so confused about whither I should flash the whole zip or just some files "did try to flash the modem file inside it but didn't work".

Any help or tip or hint is so much appreciated. You can't imagine how bad it is living with Edge internet connection while your device supports 4G LTE !!! :(

This is the chinese 1+ forum thread
    http://www.oneplusbbs.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=533307

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

shcxatter2 and Ceasedd like this.
  2. StuartTonkin
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

StuartTonkin , Nov 21, 2014 :
    but your Chinese.opo doesn't support lte it support cdma.. the Chinese equivelent.. so why are you not using cdma service from Chi.unicom?

Ceasedd likes this.
  3. Trusconi
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

4. adam_sam
    Froyo Nov 21, 2014

Oh maybe I didn't express the idea well. China Unicom and because of some policies has restrictions over OPO to use 3G/4G .. So we do what's called hacking the modem. It was so simple before, we just flash the modem with *****.bin file using fastboot and we get 3G or 4G back.
    But after the S44 update the procedure to crack the modem is different which I can't understand since I'm a noob.

5. bilalniazi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

MrFingerIII likes this.
  6. adam_sam
    Froyo Nov 21, 2014

The international and the Chinese versions are completely identical. If I go outside China or use the second service provider here my OPO will work just fine .. the problem is in OnePlus as a company and China Unicom it sounds as they don't have an agreement or something.

Ceasedd and martin.stefanov like this.
  7. dwaynelson
    KitKat Nov 21, 2014

8. bilalniazi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

bilalniazi , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I'm not very used to Android (looking forward to my placed order :) )
    But with Samsungs etc. You can enable toggles through third party toggle apps. Try searching for those.

9. Trusconi
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

10. adam_sam
    Froyo Nov 21, 2014

11. Trusconi
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

Trusconi , Nov 21, 2014 :
    You can also post here the solution ;)

12. Perales
    Eclair Nov 21, 2014

Perales , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Hello everyone,

I have a noob question ¿Can I flash this .zip file to release this bands BC4 or AWS or BC7 and use 4G in my country? I have a Chinese version of OPO but I only use 3G.

And I really would like to use 4G :(

Thank you in advance.

Ceasedd likes this.
  13. adam_sam
    Froyo Nov 23, 2014

adam_sam , Nov 23, 2014 :
    I did .. check the thread it's updated it now :)

14. FRANNAVARRO
    Gingerbread Nov 23, 2014

15. adam_sam
    Froyo Nov 23, 2014

adam_sam , Nov 23, 2014 :
    Hmmmm regarding this matter you have to check this thread in XDA
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-unlock-aditional-bands-qualcomm-t2877031

IF AND ONLY IF Oneplus supports these bands and your network does too but it has restrictions then sure you can by flashing the same zip file I did flash. If it doesn't work then I believe doing what the previous link of XDA says will solve the problem.

16. Trusconi
    Jelly Bean Nov 23, 2014

17. Perales
    Eclair Nov 23, 2014

Perales , Nov 23, 2014 :
    Thank you very much for the info I will try this!!

Have a nice day !!

18. adam_sam
    Froyo Nov 25, 2014

adam_sam , Nov 25, 2014 :
    Use translate.google.com or just Google Chrome to translate. Even Bing can translate lol

Anyway here you are the Update written above:
    the solution is by flashing the zip file named (Signed_Modem_3-4G.zip) through your custom recovery (I use TeamWin) .. the file is found here and you need to reply to the post with 10 chars reply to be enabled to download it
    http://www.oneplusbbs.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=469532&extra=&page=1

madikk and ranx like this.
  19. nikno
    Cupcake Jan 16, 2015

nikno , Jan 16, 2015 :
    Have been running my Chinese version OPO flashed with CM11 on China Unicoms Edge network for some time now...and want to step up to 3G/4G now.

@adam_sam or anyone else:
    Can you explain a little bit more on the steps to use the above mention method?

20. adam_sam
    Froyo Jan 22, 2015

adam_sam , Jan 22, 2015 :
    hmmmm dunno just ask me what's not clear for you so I can help. Feel free to ask whatever you want.