Crash dump mode + Phone issue - OP8T via OnePlus 8T

1. anirag712
    Donut Apr 11, 2021

anirag712 , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 11, 2021 :
    Hey guys, I have been using the 8T since October 2020 and I'm terribly disappointed with the phone. I have used OP3 and 6T as my previous two phones and a huge Oneplus fan, but the 8T has been a terrible disappointment.

I got the 8T in October.. And it had a lot of bugs, I ended up doing a software reset from Authorised service center twice before escalating the issue and recieving a new device. But the new device is equally bad. The phone has lag issues, auto refresh while using the app (mainly whatsapp), the phone freezes at times and only a restart helps fix it. And the worst one of all, my phone enters crash dump mode now and then and only a hard reboot helps turn the phone back on.

I have complained multiple times to the service center but their resolutions have been quite useless, it's always a reset of the phone or a new patch installation, where I need to backup all my data and my entire phone has to be reset and I have to re-install and set up all the apps from scratch. It's getting really annoying and I regret buying this device.

Please help if you know of a solution/fix for these issues.
    1618166451808.jpg

2. pa1.
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2021

3. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 12, 2021

Swejuggalo , Apr 12, 2021 :
    What kind of restore have you used (since you mention backup)? Just copy back a few files? I always just copy back a few important files from Onedrive and never use either Google restore during setup nor Oneplus Switch. Contacts synced to your account is still recovered.

What if you set up from scratch and ony install the most basic stuff and put the rest of the apps on hold for a day or 2 (the waiting time depends on how often the issue happens). Does the issue stop happening? When you then begin reinstalling more stuff split up in different stages (install... Wait and see. Install some more). Does it return at a certain batch of apps having been installed? If yes, one of those may be a trigger. This is what I would do.

Did they ever collect some logs from your device? Have you reported it via the feedback tool and got some type of response?

northbay5566 and Caoimhín like this.
  4. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , Apr 12, 2021 :
    Forgot to quote. Read my response above

Caoimhín likes this.
  5. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 12, 2021

TheMystic , Apr 12, 2021 :
    Never seen an error like this before.

Quite possibly a hardware problem. They must replace the device under warranty.

6. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 12, 2021 :
    Both the old device and the replacement he already got? Unless it's common on 8T and many replicate the same things I would rule out all software factors specifically on that phone.
    If he got 2 defect phones he must be rather stuck by bad luck.

I think it was 7 series that had plenty of cases with crash dumps at some time. Pretty many users was affected. It was confirmed to be a firmware issue.
    But isolated cases however is tricky and can be very well a hardware issue. But since he already got a replacement what are the chances of both ending up with the same problem?

Caoimhín and TheMystic like this.
  7. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 12, 2021

TheMystic , Apr 12, 2021 :
    I have the 8T bought in Oct'20 (1st day of sale on Amazon :)) and can confirm there is no such problem.

I don't expect an app to trigger an error from the CPU. If firmware has a problem, it should affect many users, and I have not seen such an error before.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  8. Swejuggalo

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Apr 12, 2021 :
    Well, he could just be extremely unlucky and maybe the third time is the charm in his case 😉
    If it still happens on a basically empty phone I'd replace it again. But if it stops happening then we have something fishy going on.

Monitoring a lower level issue myself and replicating it and pinpoint the exact reason and get a solution for it seems to be a problem. Been found on more devices now and more than me have replicated it.

northbay5566, TheMystic and Caoimhín like this.
  9. northbay5566
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 13, 2021

northbay5566 , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Apr 13, 2021 :
    Hold the power button and volume up and down for 10 seconds and it should reboot to the your ui home screen , see if that works