Creative Photography Challenge: Let's celebrate World Photo Day!

1. Fleming F.
    Community Trainee Aug 19, 2020

Fleming F. , Aug 19, 2020 :
    WPD.png

Hi photographers,

Above all, I'd like to express my gratitude to @Swatiranjan, he reminded me that today (August 19) is World Photo Day, which is definitely an important day for our extraordinary photographers in Community.

The daguerreotype process, or daguerreotypy, was the first publicly available photographic process invented and introduced by Louis Daguerre on August 19, 1839, was widely used during the 1840s and 1850s. This is the first photography tech available and affordable for all people. That's why August 19 is World Photo Day.

375px-Louis_Daguerre_2.jpg 330px-Boulevard_du_Temple_by_Daguerre.jpg
    (Louis Daguerre and one iconic photo by daguerreotype process, pictures from Wikipedia)​

As you know, OnePlus emphasis photography, and is always dedicated to bringing a better camera and photography experience to our fans. We hold Shot on OnePlus series contest, and you can see various awesome shots in our Hall of Fame. The SOOP August: Landscapes and Water is still ongoing, tap here to join us. Moreover, if you are European, here is another contest for you, and a contest for Indian here.

Besides that, in honor of this special day, I'd like to hold another Creative Photography Challenge. You can join this challenge in two ways:
    • Shot or edit photos in vintage style.
    • Write your photography story, which could be a shot tour or a special story behind the photo.
    Rules as usual:
    • It must originate from you.
    • 5 winners will be selected by the OnePlus team, each winner will win a OnePlus Nord Brave bottle.
    • You can vote to pick one from the 5 winners, who will also win a OnePlus Buds.
    • Standard Terms and Conditions apply.
    This challenge will last until next Monday (August 24) 09:00 AM HKT, looking forward to your photos and stories.

What's more, if you have ideas for the next Creative Challenge theme, PM to me or @Zach X. Maybe we can have a Creative Challenge held by you! ;)

Aug 24 update

Congratulations to @andreaste00, @Crawg, @ctonylee, @W1597951482344 and @Y1531146799783, your photos or stories bring us the reason why we love photography, thank you!

Now, let's vote for your favourite one in two days, I stickied their works beneath. ;)

Aug 26 update

Congratulations to @DhruvKadia, who will win a OnePlus Buds in addition with most likes.

2. ctonylee
    Gingerbread Aug 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    ctonylee , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Pettus.jpg
    My mother and son with the late John Lewis under the Edmund Pettus Bridge. My son went to the march and celebration of this famous march every year since he was 7. After the Congressman's, passing I had to go back and find this photo, decided to go black and white, grainy to really give it a sense of history. Shot on OnePlus 7 Pro.

3. Stickied Post
    andreaste00 , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Aug 19, 2020 :
    The dying city

This is the name given to this city, because of the material on which it stands upon: tuff; it makes the land fragile and friable.
    In a couple of centuries, this city is going to disappear.

I decided to post this picture for what the city itself is like: an ancient, medieval place, where little buildings and dusty roads live together with a few inhabitans that still live there.
    In the city we have a square in the center, that is likely the common place where old men and women see each others during days and nights, we also have little dusty roads that go inward where people can see the gardens of who still live here, their houses.

It's a magic place. It is like you've not traveled in another place, but in time.

And you should hear the sound there: no cars, no chatter from people, just an holy, unusual silence.

1597842554258.jpg

ryu57, puccellino, O. Priya and 9 others like this.
  4. Crawg
    Donut Aug 19, 2020

Stickied Post
    Crawg , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Aug 19, 2020 :
    October 2019 was a tough time for me. I moved to a new city away from my brothers to live alone and work at a co-op job. This was my first actual job and the nerves were getting to me. It was my first day and I had just gotten my OnePlus device as a gift the last week.

While waiting for the bus, I took a picture of the fall sky that I rarely ever saw that early in the morning, and it turned out amazing. After a few hours of the orientation at my workplace, I was introduced to my coworkers. It was awkward, as I was decades younger than most of them and I couldn't join in on their conversations about their kids.

A few days later, one of my coworkers saw the phone I left at my desk. He struck up a conversation about his new phone and eventually l showed him the picture that I was proud of. All of my coworkers were now showing the pictures they took on their phone and I found out that most of them were as interested in tech as I was.

From that day onwards, I found it much easier to work with them and felt way more comfortable. It was my phone and the picture I took that sparked the conversation which made me open up to my coworkers and eventually have a great co-op experience. There were several other better pictures and videos I had taken during my co-op, but this one stands out for what it had started.

Thanks for reading!

1597852654221.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020

ryu57, R. Dave T., O. Priya and 11 others like this.
  5. DhruvKadia
    Donut Aug 20, 2020

Stickied Post
    DhruvKadia , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 20, 2020 :
    This photo is from Chicago athletic association where we met for our book club meeting. It has a unique interior which is really hard to resist to capture.
    1597953012512.jpg

1597953012668.jpg
    I captured this photo from my office desk. I had not took a photo in a while and suddenly realize maybe i can use my office window to capture whatever I can. I captured Chicago downtown old building and edited it black and white to give a unique look.
    1597953012751.jpg

6. Y1531146799783
    Froyo Aug 23, 2020

Stickied Post
    Y1531146799783 , Aug 23, 2020 :
    IT WILL ALWAYS BE WATER THAT HAS TO TAKE THE SHAPE OF THE FLASK!!

Don't always be the water and keep on moulding yourself as per conditions.

Water has properties of being calm and being fierce also. Maintain equilibrium and reveal your aggressive side also. Take a bow, but at times, you have to take a stand also.

Self Respect should never be compromised!!
    1598195350343.jpg

7. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Aug 19, 2020

8. MosheG1

9. KishanThumar
    Eclair Aug 19, 2020

MosheG1 likes this.
  10. Karun Deep
    Jelly Bean Aug 19, 2020

11. SRD.
    Lollipop Aug 19, 2020

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Thanks @Fleming F. for the mention, and yes, it's a great great contest.
    I'll share mine soon. [e]1f60a[/e]

Edit 1:
    Father is the most loved person for any girl.
    This photo was taken before 3 years which'll speak more than my words.
    Edited with Snapsead for the vintage feel & frame

IMG-20200819-WA0000__01-02.jpeg

Mr. BG, aj2989, blueskywhale and 17 others like this.
  12. SRD.
    Lollipop Aug 19, 2020

13. Fleming F.

It would be better if it's a true story.
    Of course, you can submit more than one, both photos and stories. ;)

14. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Awesome! Thanks!

SRD., jlasensiofi, Cakepips and 3 others like this.
  15. Girish.Pranav
    Jelly Bean Aug 19, 2020

Girish.Pranav , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Oh, nice one @Fleming F.! now I surely got an idea of what to come up with.

So here you go,

Happy World photo day to everyone! We have evolved a lot since the invention of the camera back in the19th century. from Reel camera to digital camera. From Polaroids to selfies! Since the introduction of cellphones, we got the accessibility to take amazing pictures in seconds! but we shouldn't forget our roots, right?

I got something that is connected to me. This was a camera my grandpa used to use, then my dad. most of my childhood has been taken by this camera. I couldn't use it much as it's a reel camera, we got DSLRs today.

Some levitation shots I took in October 2018.
    Before
    1597926838999.jpg 1597926921383.jpg

After
    1597926818465.jpg

Before
    1597926361887.jpg

After
    1597926347525.jpg
    But trust me the old cameras were a gem. We had to use the camera carefully due to the limited reels, hence we had less but perfect shots. when you look at the picture, you see yourself living in the moment.
    Though the camera doesn't hold any price value in today's world, it holds much value in my life as it was a part of many journies we traveled. It reminds me of the times when I was in joy, had my grandpa right next to me. Now when I find this back again in the attic, I cherish and look back to those days, remember my grandfather and my childhood.
    Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days.

Note: The levitation shots were taken by me using a DSLR almost 2 years back.
    Aperture: F 4.0
    Shutter Speed: 1/4000 seconds
    ISO: 1600

Hope you find this post relatable and connecting enough. Thank You [e]1f60a[/e]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020

16. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Journey to Fort Gorges. (True story)

I wanted to visit someplace cool with some history behind it and while traveling in Maine. I decided to visit a old unused fort. The issue was it was on an island in the ocean! I was able to rent a sea kayak and paddle out to the fort. Once I got there I was told that this was built as a last line of defense against any foreign Navy in 1858. All the openings you see are where there are cannons pointing out to sea. Each cannon was huge and some weighed tens of thousands of pounds! Slowly nature is taking back it's island as trees and greenery have started to grow on the roof of the fort where you can walk around. This is a great place where history and nature meet and I would love to go back someday!

1597805898741.jpg

Attached Files:

17. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Aug 19, 2020 :
    My epic adventure (true story)

I went on a hike with 10 of my friends. We decided to do a hard hike all the way to the summit because we heard the view was worth the climb. The rumors were definitely true as the top was gorgeous as the surrounding area dropped all around us and we could see for many miles! (The pic is of the summit)

However, we got lost on the way down and ended up on the other side of the mountain as night fell, and it was a 5 hour walk from our cars!!!

We didn't know what to do as we felt hitchhiking was too dangerous as we could only send a few of the group with a car as we were 11 people and no car could carry all of us and to separate in a place where we had no cell service seemed very dangerous. As we started to panic as it got darker suddenly a empty school bus came around the bend! After flagging it down the driver agreed to give us a ride to our cars! What luck! It was crazy! So we were all able to get to our cars safely together!
    It was a extremely memorable hike.

When I took this picture I thought I would remember it because of how nice it was. Little did I know of the memories that would come along and be a part of that picture for the rest of my life...

1597806562061.jpg

Attached Files:

18. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Aug 19, 2020

luigimario , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Thanks pal! Much appreciated! I'll give it a shot [e]1f609[/e]

jlasensiofi, Batman360 and SRD. like this.
  19. SRD.
    Lollipop Aug 19, 2020

SRD. , Aug 19, 2020 :
    A very short story from my side,

Last month I did a sketch of baby groot,
    IMG_20200718_212258__01.jpg
    And I always wonder Can it be real ???
    If it's real, how does it look like ..
    2 days before I saw something on my basil plant; suddenly it struck my mind, is it groooot ???
    Not sure 😜 but there is some resemblance.

Shot on oneplus7T & Edited by Adobe Lightroom in Preset Instant Vintage mode.
    IMG_20200818_102536_001.jpg
    I was curious how does it really look like, Here it is,
    IMG_20200818_103214__01.jpg
    Noooooo. I don't believe, all stories doesn't have happy ending.
    baby Groot looks so cute .... This one is not.
    End of my short groot story.

❣️SRD

20. thoma_hawk
    Honeycomb Aug 19, 2020

thoma_hawk , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 19, 2020 :
    1597807689138.jpg

Love Is Progress; Hate Is Expensive'

This is a 'vintegized' picture of the Jenkins' bus, (took this at a car museum in LA). During 1940s, South Carolina’s voting literacy test required an applicant to recite and explain a part of the state constitution; only white judges could decide who passed. Jenkins began using the bus trips to teach African Americans what they needed to know to pass the tests; over the years, those rides led to hundreds of new voters and paved way to a civil rights movement. The title is the motto painted on the tailgate of this bus.

Of all the vehicles on display, this is the one that I found is the most valuable because of its history. It is preserved in the condition it was found in (though the substructures have been enforced by VW to make sure it doesn't collapse).

Thanks to the ultra-wide in my 7T without which I wouldn't be able to get a picture of this in its entirety (it was exhibited indoors and against a wall).

1597848559064.jpg

(The original picture - before snapseeding it).

TheZestyGeist, Mr. BG, YRJ and 8 others like this.
  21. ctonylee
    Gingerbread Aug 19, 2020

ctonylee , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Love it

manju.p, puccellino and thoma_hawk like this.
  22. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 19, 2020

yashonagori, manju.p, sufi09 and 5 others like this.
  23. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 19, 2020

24. Fleming F.

Lol, thanks for remind me of this bug. Just fixed it, the winner should be selected by you.

Mr. BG, MosheG1, jlasensiofi and 5 others like this.