Creative Thoughts Challenge: If I were the product manager of Nord ...

1. Cakepips
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 30, 2020

Cakepips , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Hello!
    Basically either write, design or make a video explaining what your version of the Nord would be. Think about the design of the phone, cameras, any additional bits that were missing from the original Nord etc.
    Show us your way north (Nord)!
    Then just submit it here as a reply and that's your entry! :blush:

2. Q1596112992002
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

Q1596112992002 , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Hi Oneplus, this is my entry.
    Details and descriptions about the designs are included in the image.

Hope you like them:)

Attached Files:

3. nikhilkanojia
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

nikhilkanojia , Jul 30, 2020 :
    [OnePlus Nord 2]

Key Features :

Amoled Display
    Gorrila Glass 5/6
    5000 mah battery
    3.5 mm Aux

Storage/Memory :

8th gen processor
    UFS 3.1
    LPDDR5 ram
    Base variant (6/128 gb)

Camera :

3 cameras
    (Normal/potrait, Wide, Telephoto/zoom)

Macro as an additional lens
    (This could create another hype)

*Contact me to get an additional tip which can make sudden differences

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020

4. G_Anirudh_Puranik_LBLP
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

G_Anirudh_Puranik_LBLP , Jul 30, 2020 :
    I also designed a skin that adds cherry on top of this cake.. Opskin.jpg

Ranjith M, Fleming F. and yashwant24 like this.
  5. G_Costantin
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

G_Costantin , via OnePlus 5 , Jul 30, 2020 :
    I enjoy the way oneplus marketed to a more teen audience and created a product with users in mind.I would love to see devices experiment with more crazy colors to stand out like that perlacent fuchia back panel I roughly designed on my OnePlus 5.
    1596116103227.jpg

6. Chethu_nayaka
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

Chethu_nayaka , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jul 30, 2020 :
    If I were product manager . I know Nord will be more for college graduates. Since it's cheap . So I would redesign existing Nord as below:
    * Let user decide the back case (like Avengers or iron man logo or girls cute cat logo)while purchasing the phone (so custom back case all way) including multiple phone colours.
    *Option for 3.5mm Jack and/or memory Card
    *Provide pubg , Facebook, Instagram all social app pre installed and optimized version. Or paid games pre installed for free. Inbuilt.
    *More slim or light weight. And keep 6.5 inch screen.
    *great exchange offer and free discount coupons.

Thanks

7. jessemaki
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

jessemaki , Jul 30, 2020 :
    i wouldn't change much on the nord as it already is a great phone but here are the changes:
    1. i would have the usb-c cable be blue as i would imagine many have already stated
    2. i would also like the charging brick be black so it would better fit the theme colors of the nord
    3. i would have the frame and the back of the phone be aluminum.
    4. i would change the chip to a flagship chip like 865+
    5. i would change the macro camera to a telephoto camera with ois
    6. i would also add stereo speakers with great quality and bass
    7. i would make a pride themed case for the phone similar to what's in the photo
    upload_2020-7-30_17-32-33.jpeg

the last one might be just my flaming gayness but it would be nice

8. Rachit Katiyar
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

Rachit Katiyar , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Hii Oneplus Community !
    Although I don't know many technical terms or aspects but if I were the product manager of Nord I would've added the following features,
    (1) Being a gamer myself "Battery" seems to have the most important role for nonstop play time so I'd prefer 6000 mah battery.

(2) An important thing which i felt should have been added was expandable storage in 64 gb variant it would've helped a lot.

(3) wireless charging is a feature which would've made Nord cooler.

Talking about Appearance:
    For now it looks awesome, but a Pinkish- purple glossy shade or colour combined variants would look more appealing as we know many competitors in mobile industry have basic shades so to be a little different impacts more aesthetically.
    *Thankyou*
    Stay happy, Stay safe!
    -Rachit Katiyar🙂

9. C1594372440047
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

C1594372440047 , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Challenge accepted @FlemingF. !
    I am a resident of agra, uttar pradesh. And this is my first participation in a oneplus challenge. I really have put my mind to all this and hope it is liked by the oneplus family.

So, if I were the project manager of oneplus NORD I would have to think very carefully and keep in mind the different factors as the overall approach as well as affordability of the design I finalise. Also i would try to give the best for the given budget which has been done by oneplus over the years and is in their roots.

These are the design changes:

1. Instead of having the plastic frame of the body I would go for a metal one which is ofcourse more expensive, but it's a worthwile expense. It would not only improve the phones structural body but also give a better and secure feel to the customers 'in hand'.

2. As the NORD itself and all it's branding including it's box are the futuristic teal blue in color. I would change the colour of the accessories to the same teal blue colour. It would obviously look more fresh and also the accessories will not feel left out, if you know what i mean.

3. Oneplus NORD has a great flagship level camera module which has been passed over by the other phone in the family which is oneplus 8. Now as far as the images go they are great, infact one of the best at this price point but i would go for a 3 camera setup instead of a 4 camera one. Which would not only reduce the cost of the module which can be used in other parts of the device.

4. The snapdragon 765G chipset is a good processor and works fluently but its all about the processor when it comes to the phone's interface, battery, gaming and also its speed. I would personally go for the snapdragon 865 processor which is a lot faster and just better overall. Believe me it would attract more people than anything else.

5. Now we have reduced our costs in some areas of the phone but increased in some. But this feature right here is a very important one. DUAL-STEREO SPEAKERS and yes they are gonna make everything sound loud, just like you read those words in your head. This is something which cannot be left out, it just needs to be there. Fir a better overall experience while watching our favorite shows and movies and also while listening to music.

This is part 1/2

Attached Files:

10. C1594372440047
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

C1594372440047 , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Part 2/2
    THE DESIGN:
    Now this is the design that i came up with.

View attachment 1385749

It has that NORD teal color but it also has those funky and modern pattern of a color of the same hue. The phone doesn't have a shiny finish but instead has the frosted glass but this is where things get interesting that is not frosted glass it is a glass-plastic or a glastic design which has the touch and feel of a glass body flagship phone but is made of a more affordable plastic material.
    The oneplus logo you might say look a little overboard but they are not actually black logos. They are the parts of the back which are not frosted; the back is frosted glastic except these little logos which have that shiny glastic touch to them. They won't just look better but will also improve the texture and the feel of the phone.

So with this I would like to thank oneplus for giving me this opportunity and i wish all the very best for the company's future.
    Vedansh Mehrotra
    (A proud oneplus user)

11. G1595412656091
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

G1595412656091 , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Okay so here is my design

First the specs:
    I like that the phone has so much ram, but 12 GB just seems a bit overkill. I would change it up, so a 6 GB, 8 GB and a 10 GB variant. You could just have let all base models have 64 GB memory. The expandable storage eliminates the urge for higher memory models of the phone.

Besides the storage I don't think anything should be changed, It is already phenomenal.

As for the design:
    I really like the dual selfie camera, especially the wide-angle lens is really useful for group selfies, so I wouldn't change something that is already working great. I feel like most people don't use the speaker that much (I could be wrong though) so I wouldn't change that either. I would really like to see a headphone jack for the real wired earphone fanatics (like me).

For the oneplus Nord, you want something that stands out, something eyecatching. I liked the initial design showed in the interview with Marques Brownlee. The camera layout was just so eyecatching, simple yet refined. I really like it, which is why I have brought it back in my design. I chose for a normal camera, a wide-angle camera and a depth sensor, I didn't feel like the micro lense added that much, which is why I had chosen to get rid of it. The extra space allows the oneplus Nord to have a bigger battery or the headphone jack could take the space.

I didn't change that much with the button layout or the position of the speaker en sim tray. I would really like to see an sd-card tray for expandable storage. I have seen phones with the possibility to either put in an extra sim card or an sd-card, which doesn't need extra space.

The colour is on point, the teal blue makes the oneplus Nord instantly recognizable, it's just to bad that the charging cable is red, I would rather see it be teal blue. Of course, it is understandable from a production perspective, one cable for all oneplus devices. But the teal blue colour would really add something.

The logo is still the same, I just changed the corners to be more like the cameras, making it look like a whole.
    upload_2020-7-30_17-38-13.png

Attached Files:

Fleming F. likes this.
  12. mojoyoyo_77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jul 30, 2020

SRD. and Dresa91 like this.
  13. Chirag_Passi
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

Chirag_Passi , Jul 30, 2020 :
    I would like to Present my thoughts with the help of an Info graph.
    Oneplus NORd.png
    My Thoughts on Back Design in Frosted Glass.
    Untitled Diagram (1)-1.jpg Untitled Diagram-1.jpg Annotation 2020-07-30 161137.png

Attached Files:

G1596023207846 and Fleming F. like this.
  14. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Jul 30, 2020

15. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Jul 30, 2020

16. R1595419823166
    Donut Jul 30, 2020

R1595419823166 , Jul 30, 2020 :
    I tried to create a piece which basically relocates the money spent on the phones in places which I personally believe would make more sense for me and would allow for this phone to be better in areas where it really matters: such as the quality, structure and daily use!
    upload_2020-7-30_17-48-31.png

Attached Files:

17. Sparsh Rastogi
    Cupcake Jul 30, 2020

Sparsh Rastogi , Jul 30, 2020 :
    ◼︎ ◼︎ ◼︎ If I were to have the privilege of being Product Manager for the Nord Series, the following project will be based on three rules:

1. Great Experience
    2. Value for Money
    3. Ease of Use

The OnePlus Nord project will focus in "Getting the Best, for the Price" and will be targeting mid-range smartphone prices in Asia and mainly in China and India, where “Trust and Ease of Use" is the main factor for the purchase of a smartphone. With the Nord Series it will, adhere to the "Original Roots and Values of the OnePlus".

Since, for the people Smartphone is an irreplaceable asset, and in Countries like India and China people use their smartphones for a variety of extensive tasks and, On an average keeps them for 3 years so they expect a Sturdy and Long Lasting Device. In these countries there is a major demand for quality mid-range smartphones, which sits on point with the values of OnePlus of “Providing the Best for the Price". Hence, these are some of the design decisions which are made for the Nord Series:

DESIGN PREFERENCES:

The key design elements which are taken into consideration are because of two major factors:
    1. The OnePlus Resemblance
    2. Unhindered access to the Device
    The preferences are as follows:
    • BOX LIKE DESIGN: Box like design offers a modern and futuristic look to the device that makes a bold statement and gives bold feel to it and, also makes the device easy to grip. Another most important aspect of box like design is that it provides structural sturdiness to the device making it even more durable which helps it to last.
    • OG CURVE: OnePlus phones are easy to recognise because of its commendable design decisions and amongst them, the most important factor is the curve which is on the back of the device which makes the OnePlus Phones visually separate from others and helps in the easy hold of the device.
    • CAMERA BUMP: The OnePlus Nord will have a minimal camera bump which saves the device from wiggling on a flat surface which improves the stability and reduces the chances of damage to the device, thanks to the box like design and following the OnePlus values of Sturdiness, Longevity and Excellence of their products.
    • USB PORT: According to the survey taken from our consumers the smartphone is often used for Media Consumption and Gaming, so adhering to the feedback we have put our multipurpose USB-C PORT on the right side of the device which leads us to the solution of the major factor of "Unhindered access to the Device".
    • 3 WAY SLIDER/ALERT SLIDER: This is a characteristic of OnePus which defines the feat of the OnePlus in understating the problems of their consumer, this remains intact on the OnePlus Nord Series as well.
    These are the key Design Preferences OnePlus Nord Series will adhere too, apart from these there are certain decisions taken on the component front to keep the price of the OnePlus Nord low while delivering supreme performance. The hardware Preferences are as follows along with the Bill of Materials (which is approximately ₹16000) attached below:

HARDWARE PREFERENCES:

DISPLAY:
    • Size: 6.5 inches.
    • Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels
    • Type: Fluid AMOLED
    • Support sRGB, Display P3
    • Front and Back Cover Glass: 3D Corning Gorilla Glass 5
    • Aspect Ratio: 20:9
    • Refresh Rate: 90 Hz
    HARDWARE:
    • Operating System: OxygenOS based on Android 10
    • CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 5G Mobile Platform
    • GPU: Adreno 640
    • RAM: 8GB LPDDR4X
    • X Axis Haptic Motor
    • Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS 3.0
    • Battery: 4500 mAh (Non-Removable) (RED Color)
    • Warp Charge 30T Fast Charging
    • NFC
    CAMERA:

Rear Camera Main
    • Sensor: Sony IMX689
    • Megapixels: 48
    • Pixel Size: 1.12 µm/48M
    • OIS,EIS Enabled
    • Aperture: f/1.78
    Ultra Wide Angle Lens
    • Megapixels: 48
    • Aperture: f/2.2
    • Field of View: 120°
    Flash
    • Dual LED Flash
    Front Camera
    • Megapixels: 32
    • Pixel Size: 0.8 µm/32M
    • EIS Enabled
    • Autofocus: Fixed Focus
    • Aperture: f/2.45
    SENSORS:
    • In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
    • Accelerometer
    • Electronic Compass
    • Gyroscope
    • Ambient Light Sensor
    • Proximity Sensor
    PORTS:
    • USB 3.0
    • Type-C
    • 1 Nano-SIM slot and 1 e-SIM.
    BUTTONS:
    • Left: Volume key
    • Right: Power key
    • Alert slider/ 3 Way Slider (Red Colour)
    AUDIO:
    • Dual Stereo Speakers
    • Dolby ATMOS Support
    • Audio 3D
    • Audio Zoom
    IN THE BOX:
    • OnePlus Nord
    • Screen protector (Pre-Applied)
    • Warp Charge 30T Power Adapter
    • Warp Type-C cable (Support USB 3.0) Quick Start Guide
    • Safety Information and Warranty Card
    • Brand Stickers
    • Phone case: Standard Transparent (Personalisation Available)
    • SIM Tray Ejector Tool
    • Highest SAR value & Plastic Recycling Card
    • e-Red Cable Club Membership QR Code
    The following stated above will be the component preferences for the OnePlus Nord, It will not have Wireless Charging or the IP rating as it raises the prices drastically and including it, will hinder with the price to performance ratio. The OnePlus Nord will come in 2 variants with 128 and 256 GB storage options. It will come in two colours Onyx Black and OnePlus Red colours with frosted glass back. The prices for the respective devices would be ₹28999 and ₹ 30999.
    • Red Colour Variant will have a collaboration with the “RED CROSS ORGANISATION” donating a specific amount for every unit purchased.
    • There will additional option to customise the bundled cover with addition of text or emoji with extra cost of ₹199.
    • The packaged boxes will be country specific following the Red Theme and on the surface of the box “Nǐ hǎo” for Chinese Market and “Namaste” for Indian Market will be written (IN BOLD ONE PLUS FONT) for giving it a personalised feel.
    • The Box will be specifically designed to open in stipulated seconds (approx. 5-6 seconds according to the survey) to maintain the speculation and curiosity for the consumer and hence imparting satisfaction and great unboxing experience for the consumer.
    The Phone will be teased 2 months prior, with the Launch Poster Attached Below:
    Some of the Phone renders and Specifications Manual is Attached Below: Launch.jpg DP1.jpg DP2.jpg DP3.jpg DP4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg Render Nord.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Laksh samdariya
    Eclair Jul 30, 2020

Laksh samdariya , Jul 30, 2020 :
    1596907046825.jpg

1596907046814.jpg

1596907046838.jpg

1596907046854.jpg 1596907046799.jpg

Thanks oneplus for this opportunity.

The present nord is a decent phone according to me but could have been much better as it's "the oneplus" and not so timepass brand.
    The changed that I wud make in the present nord would be:
    1) Remove the 2mp macro camera.
    2) have a dual speaker.
    3) Have a 5000+ mAh battery. (No problem if wireless and reverse charging isn't there.)
    4) A physical fingerprint scanner rather then in-display.
    5) 6+64 , 6+128 , 8+128. (According to me 256 Gb storage is a lot and many people do not need soooo much of space and 8 Gb of ram is more than sufficient for a mid range phone)
    6) A USB 3.0 rather than USB 2.0
    7) Slow motion video at 120/240 fps
    8) 4K videos from rear camera at 30/60 fps

The rest all Hardware and software specs of the present NORD are amazing:
    90Hz fluid AMOLED display
    32mp + 8mp (105°) front camera
    48mp + 8mp (119°) + 5mp (depth) rear camera
    Gorilla glass 5
    Snapdragon 765G 5G
    30 W fast charging
    The curve back pannel

Coming to the design of the phone I personally would want OnePlus Nord to have being the project manager would be as the given ones.
    The reason I had put the fingerprint scanner at the bottom left of the phone is that... Generally people hold a phone with their right hand having a grip over the lower part of the phone fingers curled towards the left side. So it would be easy for peope to unlock the phone hanging the grip and not changing the grip. Also when you text the key board in at the bottom screen of your phone... It would be easy if the phone turn offs while texting, you could juat unlock it easily as the scanner is right there at the bottom left side. (A unique design I could come across).

Having a dual speaker would be more fun listening to songs and watching movies with dual effects. The extra bass that you get ans the clarity.

Having a Battery with more than 5000 mAh capacity would make the consumers sure that the phone will last for quite a long time even though it's usage is really heavy.

Having 4 camera just for the sake of it makes no sense to me. So I would remove the 2mp macro camera rather improvise the primary camera with 30/60fps 4k recording and 120/240 fps super slow motion. And and would have space to increase the battery capacity.

A mid-range phone is generally brought by a normal phone user or by students and not by pros or heavy users. So I guess 6+64 would be a good one (already there) 6+128 can also be an option for those who want more space and are happy with 6 GB of RAM. And those who want 128GB of space and not happy with 6GB or RAM can go for 8+128.

So I laksh accepted "the oneplus creative thoughts challenge". 💯
    This was my idea... If I were to be the project manager of OnePlus Nord in 2020.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020

Mar1e and S1595337290405 like this.