Creative Thoughts Challenge: If I were the product manager of Nord ...

1. Tarun_334
    Gingerbread Jul 24, 2020

buntycubal, G_plusone and Dresa91 like this.
  2. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 24, 2020

fragargon , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Good luck everyone, will give a try.
    This a good idea Fleming. Curious what PM will do with.

3. asishgrwl
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2020

Stickied Post
    asishgrwl , via OnePlus 3T Gunmetal , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Oh this is good!

If I were the product manager of Nord, I would like to make the following changes:
    • Add a colored power button.
    • Move the alert slider from above the power button to above the volume up/down buttons.
    • Increase its thickness from 8.2 mm to 8.5 mm and do away with the camera bump and increase the battery capacity at the same time.
    • Replace the 5 MP depth sensor and the 2 MP macro lens at the rear with an 8 MP telephoto lens and a 5 MP macro lens respectively.
    • Add support for shooting 4K videos at 60 fps from the 48 MP primary lens at the back.
    • Add support for nightscape on the front facing camera.
    • Give a dual tone finish to the Nord at the back.
    • Provide it with a Dolby stereo speaker system by converting the earpiece to a loudspeaker to support the one present at the bottom just like we did with OnePlus 7.
    • Replace the linear vibrating motor with a much more powerful taptic engine.
    • Move the under-display fingerprint sensor just a bit above from where it is right now (makes it easy to use for people having small palm/hands I guess).
    • Provide USB 3.1 and UFS 3.1 storage too.
    • Make the charging cable a braided one and will keep it red.
    • Include a Type-C to 3.5mm adapter if not a Type-C Bullets Earphones in the retail box.
    • Remove the ONEPLUS branding from rear bottom and move the OnePlus logo to the center.
    • Do away with 6/64 GB model and add a third color option: Coral Green.
    Nord_dual_tone.png
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    3.jpg
    As I said, the alert slider is above the volume button and the power button is colored:)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020

4. Dhruv Kashyap
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2020

Dhruv Kashyap , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Great Chance to showcase my imagination!

Okay, so let’s begin.

First things first, I know that OnePlus has iconic red as its identity, but with Nord, OnePlus itself focused on shade of teal and I believe it should have had been maintained throughout, so I would have went with a Teal Charging Cable which could have done wonders & kept uniform color scheme.

Screenshot (249).png
    Pic Credits: Dave Lee

Next, I would have switched to UFS 3.0 & USB 3.0 on the higher end versions (8 &12 GB RAM). Also with the market evolving, wrap charge 50 would be present, along with a bigger 5000 mAh battery.

A 4G only variant for the markets like India, where 5G Spectrum allocation hasn't even started could have been introduced, because probably India will not become 5G Ready in next 2 years, even if it becomes ready, some people could have definitely saved few bucks and stayed with 4G.
    This goal could also be achieved by using last year's Flagship chip 855/855+ fixed at 4G only.
    (I know OnePlus had previously announced All in 5G, but with New Beginnings of Nord, that could have been adjusted)

Talking about adding features, addition of a telephoto lens instead of depth camera, and also replacing macro lens with a Monochrome/Color filter lens would have been chosen. Enabling macro clicks from the ultrawide camera itself, just like in OnePlus 7T would have been on my list too.

As per my personal preference, an Ultra-Wide along with a telephoto lens makes the camera system complete. Other Lenses come as an addition only.

Minimum storage configuration should have been fixed at 128GB so as to balance the missing of SD Card.

How can I forgot the surround sound experience with the Dual Stereo Speakers, it would have surely not been missed. Only the stereo speakers could enable users to experience the full potential of the device clubbed with the smooth display.

In terms of design, I would have argued to keep the Original Prototype design[​IMG][​IMG]
    It was unique and would stand out among the competition

I would have also brought back the matte glass back variant which gives a more solid feel and looks almost like metal unibody design, similar to OnePlus 6T’s Midnight Black Variant. This would be kind of matte look more than glossy look. Blue color variant of the same idea is depicted below.
    My Nord 2.png
    This Teal variant has more of a matte finish than glossy.

camera_phone.jpg (This is the OnePlus 6T Midnight Black variant with similar concept.)

Alternatively, Heading away from OnePlus-istic Design and towards my dream imagination, Nord would have included Air Triggers, a headphone jack and dedicated liquid cooling solution. RGB Logo on the back and distinguishing antenna lines would have been added too.
    RGB.jpg
    P.S: OnePlus Logo will glow just like other gaming phones.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020

5. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Jul 24, 2020

buntycubal, Dresa91 and Batman360 like this.
  6. rigih82219@mailt
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2020

7. rigih82219@mailt
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2020

8. ahuja_varun
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2020

9. rigih82219@mailt
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2020

10. asishgrwl
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2020

AllThingsTech and adarshgrwl like this.
  11. razzor228
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2020

razzor228 , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Thanks @Fleming F. for yet another Creativity Contest!

Specs:

Display
    • Resolution: 2400x1080 pixels 408ppi
    • Aspect Ratio: 20:9
    • Refresh Rate: 90 Hz
    • Type: Fluid AMOLED

Performance
    • CPU: Snapdragon 765G
    • GPU: Adreno 620
    • RAM: 8GB/12GB LPDDR4X
    • Battery: 5000 mAh
    • Warp Charge 30T fast charging

Rear Camera

• 24MP Ultrawide Camera
    • 40MP Main Camera with Macro
    • 24MP Telephoto
    • Dual Tone Flash

Front Camera

• 32MP Wide Angle Lens
    • 8MP Secondary

Nord Blue Specs.jpg

Nord Black.jpg

Nord Blue.jpg

Nord Red.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020

karanmahesh, buntycubal and Dresa91 like this.
  12. suhantm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 24, 2020

suhantm , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Here's my Epic Entry:

Coming Soon™

Here's my not so Epic Entry:

Also... you guessed it right...Coming Soon™

buntycubal and Dresa91 like this.
  13. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 24, 2020

Dresa91 , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Hey @Fleming F. :)
    great contest:)
    I am an absolute noob dealing with design, etc :D
    so, here is my written entry:)
    To represent Nord, I would go for a compass design in combination with an ice blue for the back of the device and highlight Nord :) Supported with a matt finish.
    The design, feel and usage must be cool :)
    To be a real gamechanger, I would have aligned the lenses of the camera as one pointing Nord (top).
    For the feel, I would have chosen a combination of glass and brushed aluminum as material.
    Of course, a compass should not be missing to show the way to true and real Nord :)
    as a mid-range device a long-lasting battery and a pin sharp picture should not be missing to guarantee a certain warmth in the Nord :)
    long (OS) support is a must have and even support of 5G -> in the real north in an igloo, coverage can sometimes be poor :p
    cheers:)

14. W1572851326558
    Cupcake Jul 24, 2020

15. JashnChhabra
    Eclair Jul 24, 2020

JashnChhabra , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Coming straight to Ideas part. [e]1f61c[/e]

1. I would give the opportunity to few lucky users to create there own back cover design. To customise and truely make a unique Nord of their own. Like the user get the option of making a artistic cover with their imagination and which will have their name also imprinted on it. Also if possible let their own created Pop up Digital Avatar printed on back panel.

W1572851326558 likes this.
  16. J4t1np4r3kh
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2020

Dhruv Kashyap and W1572851326558 like this.
  17. garygates_21
    Froyo Jul 24, 2020

garygates_21 , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Essentially, I would replace the macro shooter with a Telephoto lens and would give the user an option to shoot macro shots using the main sensor (IMX586) via the camera app.

My Changes from the official Nord:

1. 4 rear lenses (48mp main, 16mp ultra wide, 8mp Telephoto, 5mp depth) - dual flash

2. As it is not necessary at the moment, I would have replaced the 5G capabilities for Ip68 water resistance

3. All glass build instead of plastic for rear

4. SD card support to upgrade storage where necessary to beat out opposition at price point.
    1595602365339.jpg

Cakepips, buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  18. ajith_nair
    Froyo Jul 24, 2020

ajith_nair , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Thanks a lot for the creative challenge. @Fleming F.
    If I'm a product manger I would like to implement these..!!

List my ideas below.! Please have a look into this..!

ideas:
    1) I would have to add a inbuilt video editor app feature in the OnePlus Nord. It's very useful one for all the OnePlus users. And also have a fingerprint feature for the gallery hide collection.

2) I will gone for the usb charging cable colour to the same as the nord blue one. Why oneplus choose the old red option.actually I feel odd in that box. Blue cable more attractive in that box I think.

3) More customisation options..!! Like more inbuilt font options to change, clock options etc..!!

Thankyou.!

buntycubal likes this.
  19. Optimus_Prime_07
    Honeycomb Jul 24, 2020

20. Jaya _Surya
    Eclair Jul 24, 2020

Jaya _Surya , via OnePlus 5T , Jul 24, 2020 :
    Dear OnePlus team,
    If I were a product manager i would mainly focus on a slim and sleek design as you guys made in op5 and op5t.
    1) A good smartphone camera depends on the necessary lenses and it's not on how many lenses it has. So a primary camera with ois and ultrawide lens is more than enough for midrange phone. Regarding selfie cam also i think one camera is still enough. So that we can reduce the cost with extra lenses and use that to provide a stereo speaker set up and a good haptic vibration motor. A phone with good display also needs a good speakers to enhance the media experience.

2)Also to reduce the thickness and make a phone slim i think its better to go with metal back than glass back unless there is a support for wireless charging. Because now a days the size of the smartphone is keep on increasing which inturn increases the phone's weight. So it's good to go with metal back to reduce the thickness and weight. Which most users like me are waiting for....

I own op 5t still now i love it's design more than anything else. I hope you guys will go back to your past where you guys made really good smartphones than now....