Creative Thoughts Challenge: If I were the product manager of Nord ...

1. GandeDeSa
    Froyo Jul 24, 2020

GandeDeSa , Jul 24, 2020 :

If I were the product manager in charge of the OnePlus Nord I would have kept almost all the features but changed the macro camera for a lens that provides x5 optical zoom and I would certainly have chosen a dual stereo speakers system to improve the experience.

Regarding the design although I love the two variants that the OnePlus Nord has, I would have liked to see something more daring, for a long time that OnePlus allows artists to design new cases for this type of phone, I would have also obtained exclusive and artistic versions for the Oneplus Nord back with attractive and unique designs.

(The design was created by me in Autodesk Sketchbook for the 8 series wallpaper contest)

OnePlus.jpg

Fleming F., Cakepips and buntycubal like this.
  2. JashnChhabra
    Eclair Jul 24, 2020

JashnChhabra , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 24, 2020 :
    IDEAS AS PRODUCT MANAGER PART 2

2. As most of us throughout the world are maintaining social distancing by either working from home or keeping safe distance when we are out in public.
    The Nord team can have a competition of most creative and unique answers to questions such as:-

Q1. What will be the first few things you will keep in your Nord tote bag when you step out in public.

Q2. What will be the refreshing drink that you will carry with you in your Nord S'well bottle.

Q3. What will be the first picture you will click from your OnePlus Nord and post it where.

Q4. What will be the first song that you will hear on your new OnePlus Buds .

The most creative and unique answers according to the Nord team gets a chance to win these goodies.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020

3. Karthik_sridhar
    Eclair Jul 24, 2020

Karthik_sridhar , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 24, 2020 :
    First of all, cheers to Team OnePlus for delivery a stunning mobile at a great price. Really dig the phone.

According to me, Nord is a near perfect budget smartphone.

Things I would like to change to the existing OnePlus Nord are:

1. Would definitely add a side mounted fingerprint sensor over the on-screen finger sensor since it's more convenient and faster. On-screen is cool, but inefficient most of the times

2. Stereo speakers.

3. Choice of the chipset. Instead of going with the latest 700 series 5G chipset, I would choose a previous generation 800 series non 5G chipset since 5G connectivity does not currently exist in India.

4. 6GB Ram/128GB variant sounds like a sweet spot.

5. Headphone jack, if possible, or atleast include a dongle in the box since it's a mid range budget phone.

6. Design wise, I really liked the dual tone prototype that was actually rejected. Hence in the below quick design, I tried to incorporate a dual colour tone in Caribbean Blue for the OnePlus Nord.
    I love minimalistic and clean design without anything flashy or gimmicky which OnePlus nails.
    1595630990587.jpg

Cakepips and buntycubal like this.
  4. Deepakmudaraddi
    Gingerbread Jul 25, 2020

Girish.Pranav likes this.
  5. G1594747823200 , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 25, 2020 :
    No need of Snapdragon 865+ and expectations of other improvements: Let's start,
    OnePlus I just love your software because it is smooth with no bloatware and ads. But OnePlus is lacking something i.e, improvements in oxygen os camera hardware(5x,10x Periscopic lens and other new sony Imx sensors) and software (more modes, more editing options, pro night mode, perfect protrait with less noise in the edges,pro sports mode, ultra cinematic mode, ultra stabilization,etc).
    Also add a setting to adjust the background while taking protraits ;i.e, different levels to blur the background.
    OnePlus please don't add such big charging adaptor that may damage the phone battery in future(45 or 50 watt is perfect).
    OnePlus please don't use Snapdragon 865+ in upcoming OnePlus phones (8t,8t pro,etc) since it is costly and makes difficult to add other better features (specs) in the phone. It's ok to have Snapdragon 865 or 765G.
    And please try to add ultrasonic fingerprint sensor(that should cover atleast half or one-fourth of display) rather than optical fingerprint sensor.
    And please try to add a proper camera module in OnePlus phones, 2MP and 5MP is just useless because it does not gives better picture quality try to add better camera and new camera sensors (like 5x or 10x Periscopic optical zoom, tof depth sensor, 125degree or 130degree wide angle camera, a new sony Imx camera).I just love the Matt colour it just look crazy we expect more colours in future.
    There more options like while seeing videos we can zoom the display that should not cover the punch hole camera, more customisations and also more wallpapers for punch hole camera display and change please change the battery animation in the status bar it just look very old

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020

Fleming F. likes this.
  6. L1594216278224 , via OnePlus 8 Glacial Green , Jul 25, 2020 :
    one very generous suggestion as a one plus user @Fleming F.

first of all fix the call screen issue,like when a call comes and you click the pop up by mistake and it comes on the whole screen
    then u have to swipe down to answer the call instead of swiping up
    like it's obvious everybody swipes up to answer a call I also did that a lot of times and I cut the calls so plzz fix this issue

after that improve the wifi connectivity and latency, like what I have experienced while using one plus is that whenever u connect to wifi first it shows ( CONNECTED , NO INTERNET ) then I have to reconnect to fix the issue
    thanks

8. Andy lone
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2020

9. Girish.Pranav
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2020

Girish.Pranav , Jul 25, 2020 :
    I liked how you went so detailed[e]1f632[/e][e]1f632[/e]. Nice one @Swatiranjan

Cakepips and Swatiranjan like this.
  10. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

11. camohan
    Marshmallow Moderator Jul 25, 2020

camohan , Jul 25, 2020 :
    Not taking part in the contest, because it is quiet difficult to bridge the gap between ideal smartphone and practical smartphone.

I had some spare time so I made this for fun.

Nord 1.png

12. siddiquianas , via OnePlus 5 Midnight Black , Jul 25, 2020 :
    @FlemingF. Here is my design , My Oneplus Nord look is different but I m sure you like it.

OnePlus NORD 2 :

HARDWARE :- 1) 6.8.INCH OLED CURVED DISPLAY, 2) FRONT CAMERA 48 + 16 MP , 3) REAR CAMERA 64 + 48+ 48+ 16+ 8 MP ,. 4) NETWORK 5G DUAL , 5) SD 865+ WITH 12GB RAM 6) SCREEN REFRESH RATE 144hz 6) DOLBY ATMOS 7) UNDERDISPLAY FINGERPRINT WITH 8)BATTERY ABOUT 5000 MAH WITH 65T THUNDER CHARGE

HARDWARE 2
    1) FRONT AND BACK GORILLA GLASS
    2) GLASS BODY WITH 5 CAMERA 1. WITH 64 MAIN CAMERA 2.WITH 16 MP BOKEH EFFECT CAMERA 3.WITH 16MP COLOR FILTER CAMERA 4. 48 MP PERISCOPE CAMERA 5. 48MP TELESCOPE CAMERA WITH 50 X ZOOM
    3) HIGHLY SPECIFY BACK GLASS WITH AURORA DESIGN

SOFTWARE :-
    OXYGEN OS WITH BOOST PERFORMANCE AND UPTO 12GB RAM AND 256 GB ROM AND THUNDER CHARGER WITH 65T WARP CHARGING
    1595681051970.jpg

1595681052015.jpg

1595681052037.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020

Fleming F. likes this.
  13. Bhargavesque
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2020

siddiquianas likes this.
  14. JCCarlos
    Froyo Jul 25, 2020

JCCarlos , via OnePlus 6T , Jul 25, 2020 :
    The Nord is awesome already but it may good to have a double sim. It would be good for travellers or places where you need two sim cards.

Also it should be released in all regions. It's tough watching the hype and realize you can't get one directly in your region. (ie North America.) Nothing like spending extra $ to get a product that you know is better than what is available.

15. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

Stickied Post
    Swatiranjan , Jul 25, 2020 :
    Hi, @Fleming F. , Onemore Design came to my mind when I though of another device " ONEPLUS NORD Z".
    We were pretty confused whether the name would be Z or Lite of NORD; So time to name it NORD Z.

I asked the same question in AMA with addition of 20 $, but unfortunately no body answered my question, I have asked to @Shawn L. , @Andy Liu. & @Carl.

AMA - OnePlus Nord x OnePlus Buds

Anyway, Let's come to the topic:;

I would have designed The NORD Z with the following details:

NORD Z.png

I have already designed a logo for NORD series; My first post:

Creative Thoughts Challenge: If I were the product manager of Nord ...
    NORD Logo Design.png

So, The specification is very Basic; I would have made small small changes in design:
    1. Rear Camera position would be taken to Centre.
    Tripple Rear Camera set up is used instead of 4 Cameras ( cameras of 7T does great and i'would have used the same configuration for rear cameras)
    2. Front camera is a single punch hole 16 MP camera. ( I really feel bad because of the space taken by dual punch holes in original NORD)
    3. Introduction of 3.5 mm Audio Jack ( mind it, it's a mid range smart phone and people should have their choice of headphone; I wouldn't have supplied the earphone in the box)
    4. Only 2 variants would have been there ( 6 GB RAM with 128 GB Internal Memory & 8 GB RAM with 256 GB memory) ( i still can't think of a 12 GB mid range smartphone)
    5. Cyan cable with the 30 Watt WARP charge Adapter in the box.
    6. Cyan color power button. ( looks cool, is n't it ???)
    7. Dual stereo speakers ;Noise cancellation support , Dolby Atmos[e]00ae[/e]
    8. A mega battery - 5100 mAH ( cyan color) I don't mind increasing the length of the phone to accommodate that mega battery.
    9. The Original Oxygen Os ( 10/11) , but clean from all bloat wares ( i don't want pre-installed apps which I would never use)
    10. 3D Corning Gorilla Glass. ( With pre applied Tempered Glass)
    11. Optical Zoom of 3X ( OIS +EIS)
    12.USB 3.1 1st gen.
    13. UFS 3.0
    14. GPU: Adreno 640
    15. The most important thing : The back side of NORD Z; I don't want a glass or a metal back ( how many people actually uses a wireless charger), I want the textured Rubber back cover with a great grip of phone

Similarity with Original NORD

1. CPU: Qualcomm[e]00ae[/e] Snapdragon[e]2122[/e] 765G 5G mobile platform
    2. 30 Watt WARP charge ( 5V/6A)
    3. Display ( i want that 4K display resolution, but because of price I have to drop it), Still HDR10+ does a pretty good job.
    4. All other specs of original NORD.

I hope I would have been able to keep the price within 400$.

I really love to be a part of such challenge. Thank you again @Fleming F. for the opportunity.

Can we get feedbacks from our experts for our designs ??? it would be great if they do so.

❣️SRD.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020

Immi007, Amanda W., Pete and 21 others like this.
  16. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 25, 2020

Dresa91 , Jul 25, 2020 :
    wow - nice one!! great work:)

buntycubal and Swatiranjan like this.
  17. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Jul 25, 2020

buntycubal and Dresa91 like this.
  18. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jul 25, 2020

buntycubal and Swatiranjan like this.
  19. SeanPlus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 25, 2020

SeanPlus , Jul 25, 2020 :
    OK --

PART ONE
    What features are a priority?

The biggest problem I have with modern phones is the size - why must they be so big? My hands can't reach the to of the display to pull down the navigation bar. Is that because of how I hold my phone. I don't use a case, do maybe it's the sort backcover that I have issue with.

My girlfriend and I often watch YouTube videos before going to sleep. This influences the design in three ways: (1) pillarboxing/letterboxing must be reduced; (2) enjoyment must not be impaired by a notch/hole-punch; (3) front-facing speaker(s) so I don't need to cup my hands to reflect sound.

MUST HAVES (or minimum requirements)
    1. Compact size (top of the display approx. 130mm from bottom of device)
    2. Fluid AMOLED display
    3. HDR10+
    4. 90hz refresh rate
    5. Long battery life (approx. 28hrs standard use, minimum)
    6. 30T Warp Charging
    7. 128GB internal storage space
    8. 8GB RAM
    9. Build must be durable and non-slip (glass and metal considered premium)
    10. Gorilla Glass 5 display with preinstalled plastic protection
    11. Snapdragon 765 5G
    12. Flagship level rear cameras
      • main, wide angle, macro, and depth
    13. Flagship level front camera
    14. Stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos
    15. UFS 3.0
    16. Notification/Horizon light
    17. In-display (or power button) fingerprint sensor

MUST NOT HAVES
    1. Curved screen
    2. Notch or hole-punch (so must have pop-up camera or bezel)
    3. Rear finger-print sensor

NICE TO HAVES
    1. 20:9 aspect ratio
    2. 5G internet speed
    3. StyleSwap backcovers (inc. Sandstone)
    4. In-display fingerprint sensor
    5. Decent haptic vibration motor
    6. AOD
    7. NFC
    8. High number of nits
    9. Headphone jack (OnePlus Buds ordered but yet to be experienced)
    10. High PPI (display)
    Some features, such as face-recognition, I can live without but are not listed as 'must not haves'.

Mock-up to follow.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020

20. rohitmarines
    Honeycomb Jul 25, 2020