Creative Thoughts Challenge: If I were the product manager of Nord ...

1. bennyjiang02
    Donut Jul 26, 2020

bennyjiang02 , Jul 26, 2020 :
    Personally I think it's important to keep costs down for the OnePlus Nord series, having a mid-range/flagship killer series that suits the average daily user needs to be both priceworthy and low cost.

I think this is the series that can be used for experiments, the prototype that Carl Pei showed on MKBHD's interview was definetly something that I would work on further. It's unique design could set OnePlus aside from Oppo, Huawei etc. These should be introduced to the Nord-series as I don't think that would hurt the reputation of OnePlus as a phonebrand and later brought into the flagship series. Of couse I understand that this shouldn't be the first phone in a new series but as a second or third phone wouldn't hurt.

I would try new ways of cutting costs and see how it's recieved by the custormer, maybe changing the materials changing glass for plastic when not having wireless charging to make it both more durable and cheaper. Having only one color and less options to make the production more streamline and so on.

I would be using the Nord series to make experiments, maybe not all in one phone, but one small experiment for each phone.

Amanda W. likes this.
  2. DrKTM1+7t
    Eclair Jul 26, 2020

DrKTM1+7t , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 26, 2020 :
    price range 22999/-
    pop up front camera with 32 megapixel
    back camera 48mp, 16mp without camera bump
    3.5mm jack
    type c charging port in lower and on left side ( gaming while charging)
    765 chipset
    8gb ram 128 internal
    6000mah battery
    125 wat fast charging
    2 year warranty
    hard bumper case with full cover
    led notification light
    on screen fingerprint
    dolby atmos with 2speakers front facing upper and lower
    6.5 inch screen
    straight amoled display
    90hz refresh rate

buntycubal likes this.
  3. suryadileep7737
    Cupcake Jul 26, 2020

suryadileep7737 , via OnePlus 5T , Jul 26, 2020 :
    If Iam the product incharge instead of intern fingure print would have changed to side mounted one and use the cost saved photo cromatic lens / bringing SD865 to the board

4. bindu_verma
    Eclair Jul 26, 2020

bindu_verma , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 26, 2020 :
    I'd make the cable as Marble blue color (instead of the red one in the box) for the OP Nord [e]1f61c[/e]

buntycubal and Starcommander like this.
  5. bindu_verma
    Eclair Jul 26, 2020

bindu_verma , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 26, 2020 :
    Stereo loud speakers is the major missing feature in this OP Nord. I'd be waiting (and saving) for the next upcoming version of Nord. But I'm very much interested in OP buds.[e]263a[/e]️

6. buntycubal
    User of the Year 2017 Jul 26, 2020

7. A1591623164568 , via OnePlus 8 Glacial Green , Jul 26, 2020 :
    if i were a product manager.. i would have create software like iphone has, when Mobil snatched by someone or stolen by some one they can easily find out. why all the specification in iphone ? why not oneplus?? lets have it.. because one of my friend phone has been snatched by unknown people[e]1f612[/e]

8. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jul 26, 2020

TibiTibi , Jul 26, 2020 :
    If i would be a product manager...
    The next NORD will be
    • better and more affordable 😁
    • with practical design
    • balanced HW and SW
    • improved UI
    • Without invite codes.
    I cannot tell more until I will be the PdM.
    I cannot spread more leaks 😃

9. Subhranil95
    Donut Jul 26, 2020

10. sudeepg95
    Froyo Jul 26, 2020

sudeepg95 , Jul 26, 2020 :
    Please find areas that I feel are important enough to focus on for any upcoming OnePlus device in the budget premium category: 

1. Build
    • They say it takes 5 minutes of interaction to get to know a person; With a handheld mobile device it's the first impression that I think are the most important. Therefore I would like to focus on this point first.
    • The most striking and elegant design I’ve personally felt takes me back to the original Apple iPhone 4. It kicked us all into this realm of smartphones and all these years later, I still see people around here carrying around the device in mint condition. I even see articles in popular reseller platforms of sparkling new iPhone 4’s getting sold for a huge price for this reason.
    • The metallic frame, glass body and the perfection of that device, the world has never seen since, I believe. It would really be an awesome experience to have a hybrid of the OnePlus Nord with that as of the aesthetic finish of that of the original iPhone 4. That would be an impression that can make a mark in history, I believe.
    • The camera bump that comes in the modern handset design is a trade-off that we are taking on when we move towards really good camera hardware, which I personally don’t mind at all as long as a clear case can be provided in the box.
    2. User Experience
    • As with the first impression that a user feels when they pick up a device, the next impression that a user would feel is when they unlock their device and sees the fluidity of animations and the overall look, feel and minimalism of the User Interface.
    • 90Hz refresh screens with really good mid-premium range processors with adequate RAM usually covers the hardware side of things to provide the needed User Experience. OnePlus’ Oxygen OS with its light weight minimalist design if it comes with zero bloatware, 90Hz (turned on by default) gives the user a really mind blowing & snappy experience of the operating system and this would definitely cover the User Experience side of things.
    • In 2020, we’re seeing that processors are getting faster, screens are getting snappier and we’re able to provide users with more fast RAM’s to provide consistent experience using their favourite apps. However, it is equally important to ensure that read-write operations using the device, like snapping a picture and saving it into their memory are fast as well. UFS 3.x standard memory with their blazing fast read-write speeds ensures that there’s no bottleneck within the device with any components. It also would ensure longevity with the device, that the device, 2 or 3 years down the line, hours and hours of usage, multiple software updates, etc., does not slow the device down drastically.
    3. Cameras
    • Rear
    • It is one of the pillars that divides sub-par handsets from that of value-for-money king handsets. The importance should not be given to adding more number of cameras but to giving users more options to look at the same subject from different perspectives.
    • The primary camera, equipped with Optical Image Stabilisation should be a really strong contender that is able to handle popular lighting conditions and produce stunning results for both image and video. The 48MP primary sensor currently equipped in the OnePlus Nord, borrowed from the OnePlus 8 which was passed on from the OnePlus 7T is the overall candidate to this position.
    • If it can take Super stable videos upto 4K 60fps making use of the OIS feature, then the videography front is set as far as the back camera is concerned.
    • The auxiliary cameras’ importance is, as I’ve mentioned previously, to provide different perspectives or field of view for the subject in any given situation. Therefore an ideal smartphone should need only two more helpers in addition to the primary camera; A wide-angle camera and a Telephoto camera.
    • It is worth mentioning that these 2 additional cameras should be able to deliver promising results instead of just being a feature that’s there but never used. I believe that a 13MP wide angle lens can capture just enough details to produce really wide pictures that covers large frames. In case of the telephoto lens, a 3x or a 5x zoom powered by the lens would produce wonders. If it is not too much trouble, it would help to have Digital zoom as an added bonus on top of the results produced by the telephoto lens, but it’s not a deal breaker if they’re not there.
    • My understanding is that software algorithms of the modern day can be used to produce bokeh effects with the primary camera itself without the need for adding another depth sensor. I also believe that Macro shots can also be taken by using the existing sensors but with different configurations, which can also help omit the need for having more cameras.
    • 3 Camera’s, covering all major scenarios that an end user might face in their day-to-day normal smartphone usage.
    • Front
    • Selfie pictures, selfie videos and video calls are the main purposes for which every user uses their front-facing camera in this time.
    • A single wide (or super wide) angle camera of a higher resolution, like 24MP or 32MP would do wonders. 
Normal Selfies vs Wide selfies —> Wide selfies (Can produce awesome wide angle portraits)
Group Normal Selfie vs Group Wide Seflie —> Group Wide Selfie (More people fit into the frame)
    • If this camera can take shots really good quality video in 4K 60fps then we’re done ere’.
    • Good-to-have feature for bonus points

Depending on the number of people present in the frame, if the camera can change perspectives to toggle wide or super-wide would be a really awesome feature to have. 
That is, normally it would show a cropped portion of the frame when the camera is opened and depending on the number of people present in the frame, if the camera can automatically change the perspective to a wider view or this particular feature present as two different modes within the front-camera.
    4. Multimedia content consumption
    • In 2020, we have everyone using their mobile device as their central point or media hub to consume all sorts of multimedia content, movies, music, games, pictures etc.
    • A 1080p AMOLED screen that can accurately represent the colours of the content while displaying a wide range of contrast content is everything anyone would need for this purpose. OnePlus has sufficient experience with maintaining this standard and this is highly applaudable.
    • As for music or audio content, there is an interesting set of options that I feel are available. However, there are three categories of people:
      • One that consumes content like movies and the like which does not need much focus audio video sync issues. Wireless audio solutions can b adopted to cater to these category of customers.
      • The other category of people play games like PUBG or Call of Duty where split second decisions either have you be the shining winner or the weeping loser. Latency can be a huge factor for this category of users and wireless solutions, regardless of how low-latency we can make them, will be enough to satisfy them.
      • Audiophiles
    • My solution to this problem is to
      • Provide users with a strong single bottom firing speaker along with the earpiece doubling as the top firing speaker to produce a minimal stereo effect.
      • Provide Bluetooth 5 or 5.x solutions that makes use of protocol that ensure minimal latency while providing high definition audio.
      • Provide users with a type-c to 3.5 mm dongle within the box so that users who absolutely need the cutting edge experience of hearing low latency audio can make use of the facility by connecting the device with their own 3.5mm headphones.
      • Added bonus if the type-c to 3.5mm adaptor can provide results equivalent to that of High Res DAC solutions available in the market today so that Audiophiles, people who focus on the specificity and the quality of the sound to a step beyond what normal people listen to, can also be catered.
    - Other decision points that needs little focus:
    • 6/128GB and 8/256GB storage variants.
      With people shooting videos in 4K60, it just simply does not make sense to have the 64GB variant. It should simply die.
      No need for expandable storage, as the ext memory cards available out there do not provide consistent speeds and can be a factor that leads to deterioration of the user experience.

12GB RAM doesn’t make much sense either. Nobody’s ever going to be keeping more than two games that could be sized at 2GB each on their phones for more than 2 hrs.
    • I still believe that wireless charging is still just not there yet to match with that of the standards of wired charging I believe that’s a feature we can omit from this budget premium segment.
    • 4000+mAh battery pack with Warp Charge 30 support for one day’s worth usage and instant top-ups
    • Smart charge facility baked into the OS so that the users have more controls over their battery cycles.
    • Bonus points if the charging wattage can be higher for the provided charger. If that’s too much to ask for, then support for higher wattage chargers that we can buy outside the box is also something worth having.
    • Always on Display feature to view notifications or important information without unlocking their phones. (Either that or notification LED’s, but we already have AMOLED, so why have more hardware?)
    • Factory-applied screen protectors on the devices
    • Average/Above average haptic feedback motor
    • Properly configured proximity sensor for the device to ensure uninterrupted or unexpected fails on calls
    • Dual VoLTE, Dual VoWiFi standby
    • No curved screens, long live the flat displays for the budget premium segments
    • Weight of the device, not more than 180-185gms
    • Display sizes not more than 6.4 inches for comfortable one-hand usage (Bonus points for 6.3 inches size)
    • Pixel density ~400+ppi (Bonus points for 430+ppi)
    • Corning Gorilla Glass 5 (Bonus points for Corning Gorilla Glass 6)
    • Widevine L1 certification out of the box.
    • Bonus points for supporting WiFi 6 (ax) or (WiFi 6e, depending on which becomes the upcoming standard)
    • Designer Sandstone cases
    • Kevlar full body cases

Fleming F. likes this.
  11. Sylvester.David
    Froyo Jul 26, 2020

Stickied Post
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020

12. brian.sedore
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 27, 2020

13. Akshat V.
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2020

14. rahulchaks
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2020

rahulchaks , via OnePlus 7 , Jul 27, 2020 :
    If I was a product manager I would have incorporated the following changes -
    1. Single punch-hole camera (2 is overkill and uglier than teardrop notch)
    2. Have a metal frame
    3. Remove the depth and macro sensors and instead go with 7t like setup (regular+macro capable wide+2x telephoto/depth)
    4. 6gb/128gb base variant
    5. Stereo speaker

These all would have made it more attractive to met at least....

15. PurplePulp
    Donut Jul 27, 2020

Stickied Post
    PurplePulp , Jul 27, 2020 :
    Wow! This contest is so interesting!!

I initially started with some designs and gradient shades on the back of the current Nord device... But if I were the Product Manager of Nord, I would really like for the device to have a distinguishing appearance from current OnePlus phones, and this design language only specific to the Nord Series of phones. Hence, I started experimenting with the back and camera design (come on, we really can't change much about the front).

Prototypes:

prototypes.jpg

After quite a few prototypes, finally settled on a design and a color scheme for the device.

Final design:

final.jpg

I've kept the dimensions of the device same as the current OnePlus Nord. The device would have a distinguishing band with a contrasting color scheme from the remaining back panel that houses the 3 Cameras, flashlight, camera flash, and a notification light (implemented much like Gaming phones these days but towards one side - I will explain the reason further below.)

Specs:

Display: 20:9 Full HD+ AMOLED 90 Hz (same as the current Nord), but with a max brightness of 1200 nits

Processor: Snapdragon 765G

Variants (RAM, Storage): (6GB, 128 GB), (8GB, 256 GB) UFS 3.0 storage

Battery: 4300 mAH

Camera:
    Front: only 1 camera, 32MP
    Rear: 3 cameras
    Main: IMX586, 48MP with OIS (same as the current Nord)
    Wide-Angle: 8MP (same as the current Nord)
    Telephoto: 2x zoom, 8MP​
    Flash: Dual-tone LED​

Back: Curved Glass, Gorilla Glass Protection.
    Glossy finish with Violet (bottom), Ultramarine (middle-bottom), Yale Blue (Rest) color gradient.
    Camera Band: Matte finish with Orange and Chrome color gradient.​

Front: Gorilla Glass Protection, Oleophobic coating

Sides: Metal. Turquoise color.

Buttons: Gestures and on-screen navigation support
    Left: Alert Slider (Turquoise color), Volume (Turquoise color)
    Right: Power (Orange)​

Notification light: (bar-shaped light covered with back glass, implementation like gaming phones)
    Position: Left side of the device when seen from the front. This way the light can be seen from left side too as the back glass is curved. Also, as the placement is just behind the alert slider, it will not need any separate cutouts on cases for visibility.
    Purpose: This would work as normal LED notification light (like on OP3). But in Gaming mode it can also act as feedback for various actions as, naturally, hand rests behind the device while gaming and once can see the light falling there. Once implemented, many purposes can be thought of. Eg, as a blinking light during alarms. It would also consume very less battery.​

Finger-print: In-display sensor but placed a bit higher than the current placement on Nord

Audio:
    Speakers: Stereo-speakers (on top-front and bottom of device)
    Microphone: 2
    3.5 mm Headphone-Jack on top.
    Reason behind this placement: when device is held sideways, with left side (alert sliderside) facing ground, for gaming or video consumption, the headphone jack and speaker both come at the top portion. This will allow proper grip while playing with headphones and charging at the same time. Also, when not using headphones, the hands will not cover the speaker, and hence game or video sounds will be unobstructed by the hand holding the device.​

Ports:
    USB Type-C 3.0
    Dual nano-sim
    Micro SD card slot​

Sensors: Same as current OnePlus Nord

Hope y'all like my submission! Please upvote if you like it! ;) <3

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020

16. ars03
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2020

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020

Kevin Thomas Tom likes this.
  17. yashwant24
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2020

18. Sylvester.David
    Froyo Jul 27, 2020

19. yashwant24
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2020

20. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 27, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 27, 2020 :
    @Fleming F. , @Crystal Z. , @Trista W. , @Amanda W. , and other staffs, I know you guys are having a hectic monday, so take a break and watch the video I just uploaded in the comment😉😉 If it makes you laugh, it's an accomplishment 🙈