Creative Thoughts Challenge: If I were the product manager of Nord ...

1. yashwant24
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2020

yashwant24 , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 27, 2020 :
    Where did you design?

2. W1595868102701
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2020

W1595868102701 , Jul 27, 2020 :
    1. Frosted back design - would attract less fingerprints and gives a subtle premium feel to the design.
    2. Triple main camera setup - 48MP primary with OIS, wide angle lens to be atleast 12MP to get that tad bit more quality in images and depth 5MP. Personally I don't prefer the 2mp macro lens as the image quality is not satisfactory.
    3. Headphone jack - wireless audio is not on par with wired audio yet, but at the same time most people are not audiophiles. The lack of a headphone jack becomes a big deal, since these wireless earphones are not affordable, according to the indian market atleast. Most people will be satisfied with a sub 1k earphones. So to meet somewhere in between, a USB type C to headphone jack dongle in-the-box should do the trick.
    4. Single selfie camera - It is sufficient for a midrange device and is less obtrusive than the pill shape cutout. "Clean viewing experience".

Other than the above, the midrange SoC, 90hz fluid amoled display, NFC and quick charge, are all here to stay.

3. obakesan
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2020

Stickied Post
    obakesan , Jul 27, 2020 :
    Well, let's be honest, I'm not an artiste, although I try, I know what I like, but can't really express what my mind thinks to what I end up trying to create. I think of an amazing vista, complete with sunset, rolling windswept hills, animals frolicking around, etc. However, when I try to draw it, in reality, it just comes out like a bunch of stick figures.

<sigh> it is what it is I guess, not my forte, so I no I have no chance to be even considered for this type of contest, neverless, I had a couple of simple perhaps thoughts if I indeed was the product manager. Always lots of ideas, but here are the first I came up with for now. Hope someone enjoys:

1) Dedicated Camera Shuttter

The first I'd add was a dedicated camera shutter button on the outside of the phone. I'd probably place it on the right side of the device along with the alert slider and power button, but near the bottom. Holding the phone in landscape mode would be ideal to hit the button for focusing and taking photos. Why? Just because, sometimes the screen gets in the way of tapping and taking a photo. A dedicated button would give you the feeling of an old style camera but on a modern device. It is also something that could make the product more unique for it's camera facilities compared to other devices on the market. This is an area that hasn't really been done before, plus the button could be configured in OxygenOS for some other purpose when not in camera mode. Like hold it for voice memos or call up the assistant for example.

2) Camera Layout.

Maybe this is not possible given the positional elements of the cameras, but I thought, why not try to move them around. How though? We currently have a line of 4 cameras, that pretty much all phones have, it's a bit boring to be honest. So, let's change the layout and tie it into the supposed brand's direction of North or True North.

I re-arranged the cameras into a triangle housing. The housing acts like an arrow in a compass, pointing North, thus at a glance you get a visual identity of the Nord and it's New Beginnings motto, always pointing true, just as you would your camera when taking a perfect shot. These are just some starting point ideas. I wasn't really sure what the contest itself was about cause it seems quite broad and not terribly specific. Anyway, perhaps I will add additional ideas as I go along.

Here's are some simple renders I did of the designs with some other other thoughts:

The Nord A? need think of a name for it haha. Anyway, you can see what I was thinking for the camera array, it stands out more, like an arrow, pointing North. I also added the camera button on the bottom left to get a sense of what I meant. This is still 4 cameras, 1 top, 1 middle, 1 bottom left / right and flash in the middle.

Marble Blue

OnePlus NordA Blue.png

Classic OnePlus Red?

OnePlus NordA Red.png

Had a try at some case ideas, thinking of the North, made me think of mountains, ice, etc.

Ice Bumper
    OnePlus NordA Ice Bumper.png

Mountain Bumper
    OnePlus NordA Bumper Mountain.png

Anyway, I have no chance to win, I'll admit defeat there, that way I won't be saddened or disappointed haha, but wanted to share anyway, since I did some work on it already. I wasn't planning on even doing that cause maybe wasn't good enough, but I kind of think it has an interesting look, start of something kinda vibe.
    Enjoy

4. marcvento12
    Jelly Bean Jul 27, 2020

5. ashish2002
    Gingerbread Jul 27, 2020

ashish2002 , Jul 27, 2020 :
    Let's talk consumer segment and market share...

Why do people buy Iphone, is it only brand, fluent software/ecosystem ? Including high percentage of women..

Relatively smaller phone, can be operated from one hand and one charger fits all..

So, nord is near perfect, need another smaller variant (5"), little slimmer, lighter and wireless charging...25% new segment captured..

Second post will follow..

Amanda W. likes this.
  6. Cakepips
    Honeycomb Jul 27, 2020

Stickied Post
    Cakepips , Jul 27, 2020 :
    Here is what My Nord would be like... (as a product manager)
    Disclaimer - I have no technical ability nor proper understanding so... if something is wrong, I can only apologise!
    Kutos to product managers, there's certainly a lot to think about! This was certainly a challenge.
    I literally have no idea what everyone else has done btw so will be having a look once this is complete.
    Edit (wed 29th July) - removed Macro lens. Software should be able to enable this maybe with the telephoto.
    Edit (Sunday 2nd August) - forgot to remove macro on colours part. Now removed.

Details
    Nord - explorer ed (CP)-01.jpg
    Nord - explorer ed (CP)-02.jpg

Extra information
    • Parameters - Size: 6.44 inches, Resolution: 2400x1080 pixels 408ppi, Aspect Ratio: 20:9, Refresh Rate: 90 Hz, Type: Fluid AMOLED, Support sRGB, Display P3, Cover Glass: Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5, Glass backing with aluminium frame
    • Features - Video enhancer, Reading mode, Night mode
    • Performance - Operating System: OxygenOS based on Android™ 10, CPU: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 765G 5G mobile platform, GPU: Adreno 620, RAM: 8GB/12GB LPDDR4X, Storage: 128GB/256GB UFS2.1, Battery: 4500 mAh (non-removable), Warp Charge 30T fast charging (5V/6A) with ability to wireless charge
    Camera
    • Rear camera – Main - Sensor: Sony IMX586, Megapixels: 48, Pixel Size: 0.8 µm/48M; 1.6 µm (4 in 1)/12M, Lens Quantity: 6P, OIS: Yes, EIS: Yes, Aperture: f/1.75
    • Telephoto - Megapixels: 12mp, OIS: Yes, EIS: Yes, Aperture: f/2.4
    • Ultra wide angle lens – Rear, Megapixels: 8, Aperture: f/2.25, Field of View: 119°
    • Depth lens - Megapixels: 5, Aperture: f/2.4
    • Flash - Dual LED Flash
    • Autofocus - Multi Autofocus (PDAF+CAF)
    • Video - 1080P video at 30/60 fps, 4k 60 fps. Super slow motion: 1080P video at 240 fps. Time-Lapse: 1080P 30 fps, 4k 30 fps. Video editor
    • Features - CINE aspect ratio video recording, UltraShot HDR, Nightscape, Focused macro (selects area which to macro on), Portrait, Pro mode, Panorama, AI scene detection, RAW image, Filters, Quick share
    • Front Camera - Sensor: Sony IMX616, Megapixels: 32, Pixel Size: 0.8 µm/32M; 1.6 µm (4 in 1)/8M EIS: Yes, Autofocus: Fixed Focus, Aperture: f/2.45
    • Ultra Wide Angle Lens – Front, Megapixels: 8, Aperture: f/2.45, Field of View: 105°
    • Video - 4K video at 30/60 fps, 1080P video at 30/60 fps, Time-Lapse
    • Features - Face unlock, Adjustable fingerprint scanner (either front or side button), Touch buttons (Power and volume which can be programmed from settings) HDR, Screen flash, Face retouching, Filters, Ultra wide selfie, Stereo Speakers (of some kind)
    Colours
    Decided with three colours, Blue representing the Nord, Black for the classics and red for Oneplus.

Nord - explorer ed (CP)-03.jpg

Bonus - Nord Box
    Added bonus... I kind of thought of it whilst doing it and thought I might as well pop it in. it folds up and has a drawer compartment in the top. Everything is an experience, so presentation is important too!

Nord - explorer box (CP)-01.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 6:47 PM

7. Q1595885498818
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2020

Q1595885498818 , Jul 27, 2020 :
    I would simply suggest to go back to original one-plus success rules. Offer less but really solid product
    If there is no IP certification and wireless charging then why 6 cameras? and why mediocre ones. just to increase counts? My suggestion.
    (1) One camera in front 16mp, 3 Cameras in back 48mp standard+16mp wide+5 (depth sensor)
    (2) Solid aluminium frame instead of plastic one
    (3) Charging cable in new nord series blue or grey to have its own brand identity.
    (4) If possible (by cost) put stereo speakers

And stop Oneplus 8 and Oneplus 8 pro models. instead have only the pro version on the top and nord on the economy side. Make less but make good stuff.

Body design of oneplus nord looks amazing. i would really congratulate your team for this. No changes needed.

8. WeRND
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2020

9. puccellino
    KitKat Jul 28, 2020

puccellino , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I'm not sure if you deserve these (one for each character)

[​IMG]

Or a trip to the psychiatrist for your condition....

:p

Only kidding......great work, very creative, and very entertaining.

10. dvdrj603
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2020

dvdrj603 , via OnePlus 8 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I wud make sure it does not overshadow the company s flagship oneplus 8
    Seriously the oneplus 8 looks like a joke compared to nord lemme tell u y
    First of all
    Camera
    To an average consumer nord is going to be preferred first has it has a quad cam (though u 2 camera s are useless)
    Selfie camera is better than its flagship smartphone s

Now i know im only talking camera s but dont the buyer s in an avg and biggest market of ur product (india) who bought an one plus 8 feel cheated that a cheaper model has a way better camera system for the avg use and he could have saved almost 20k rs if he wud have waited for 2months

11. asishgrwl
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2020

asishgrwl , Jul 28, 2020 :
    @Fleming F., @Crystal Z., @Trista W., @Amanda W., @Shawn L., @Andy Liu. and @Carl what do guys think of these ideas?:sweatsmile:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 10:46 AM

AllThingsTech, adarshgrwl and Dresa91 like this.
  12. Batman360
    Lollipop Jul 28, 2020

Batman360 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Hahaha!!! 😂😂
    Thankyouuu sooo muchhhh🙈🙈🙈😂😂😂😊😊

13. DarshanMeniya
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2020

DarshanMeniya , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I hope @Pete @Carl @Shawn L. @Andy Liu. @Steven G. @Christine L. @Tom B. @Amanda W. @Crystal Z. @Trista W. @Zach X. and @Fleming F. Will take their pricious time to atleast read my very few suggestions.

Thank You.

Fleming F. and Amanda W. like this.
  14. Thenickclicks
    Donut Jul 28, 2020

Starcommander and HASHTAGKEM like this.
  15. F1595859966266
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2020

F1595859966266 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    I would like all options of any phone available when buying from one plus website. Seems restrictions are placed on certain colours of phone. Like the Nord you can only get the 12GB Ram 256GB on the blue phone not the Gray. My only real idea would be to give newer processor and UFS 3.0. and retain flat screen or make very small curves at edges. Also I would like to see some style of phones with the Oneplus logo lit up like you find on gaming phones and accessories for example dark blue/black/gray with gold/yellow led logo.

16. yashwant24
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2020

yashwant24 , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Here is my "Re-designed OnePlus Nord"

1595961552151.jpg

The design is inspires from the "Direction Symbol" in arrow of compass.
    Features:-
    64MP Primary Sensor
    12MP Wide Angle
    8MP Telephoto
    2MP Macro
    Dual Flash light.
    Optical image stabilization

1595961611608.jpg
    The introduction of new "Alert Slider"
    the new Alert slider supports 4 modes
    -Ring
    -Vibrate
    -Silent
    -DND

Snapdragon 765(Not 5G)
    Metal sides
    Stereo speaker
    3.5mm headphone jack
    Warp Charge 30T

1595961665494.jpg
    16MP Front Camera
    90HZ F Amoled Display
    4000mAh Battery
    NFC Enabled
    1200nits
    UFS 3.0
    LPDDR4X RAM
    HDR10+ Support
    21:9 Display

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020

palc likes this.
  17. Nichani.kapil
    Eclair Jul 28, 2020

Fleming F. likes this.

18. HASHTAGKEM
    Froyo Jul 28, 2020

Thenickclicks likes this.
  19. BeardyBiceps , via OnePlus 5T Midnight Black , Jul 28, 2020 :
    Current design looks awesome especially the blue marble [e]1f499[/e]

Some features i would add rather.

I would definitely use Metal Frame rather than plastic.
    3.5mm widely used.

2mp macro is of no use, telephoto lense more useful.

Add one more color variant may be divine white or pearl white.

Stereo Speaker [e]1f601[/e]

That's all.