Credit Card Fraud

?

Have you had fraudulent charges after a recent OnePlus transaction?

1. Yes, purchased 0-2 months ago

341 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. Yes, purchased 2-4 months ago

24 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Yes, purchased over 4 months ago

13 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. No, purchased 0-2 months ago

81 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. No, purchased 2-4 months ago

14 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. No, purchased over 4 months ago

96 vote(s)
    12.9%
  7. I Purchased with Paypal

177 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. Davidroid80
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

Davidroid80 , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Hello all,
    I would, unfortunately, add my entry to the list of people which found their credit card data stolen. I bought the OP5T on Dec. 9th at about 10am, and two days after got an unauthorized attempt to buy with my credit card on an online dress store for about 800GPB. Immediately my bank suspended the card and I blocked it definitely. Recently used this card just for the OP, so most probably I am victim too of the online payment process of the OP website.
    I think I will send the phone back and ask for a refund.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018

2. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Jan 15, 2018

rarog , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Yes, I see people being targeted, this doesn't rule out my theory and doesn't make it less probable.

I don't see a better fitting forum. Other websites are linking to this thread and it's pretty well found.
    But I'm also waiting for some official statement, which would be in Announcements subforum.

Hydra Bob likes this.
  3. Andres
    Eclair Jan 15, 2018

Andres , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Hi everyone, I'm just posting this because I see something suspicious around here... Although more than 30 people have said that they have these charges after purchasing a OP devices, only 5-7 accounts seem legit to me.

I have wriitten down some users that say to have been scamed, but they are all new accounts (onliy one or two days old) with just 1 message (Isn't it strange that they say what happenned to them and then they didnt even reply?)

These are the accounts:
    @Njut, @G_E_McManus_tEtL ,@bjorkeberget ,@Frankusky, Kamal Chowdhury, @Johnbksc7 , @fiftysix , @savvybynature ,@Henkie1337, @H1515869246802, @ashtaru, @av1978az , @tonnywong , @G_Joel_Sureda_DQHn , @romas_vks , @RalP, @brettrog82, @rayerdi_89.

They all have 1 message and are new accounts. Of course I'm not saying they are all fake, but I see something suspicious that I think should be checked. Maybe someone is trying to mess up with the company image?

Stealth777, meatandy and izzykasha like this.
  4. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2018

izzykasha , Jan 15, 2018 :
    I suggest we all wait for the official Oneplus announcement, I stopped myself saying coverup then....ooops there it is (remember free speech is aloud and I think we all need a bit of levity at this stage!)

Whilst waiting for the internal investigation from oneplus it would be handy to do the following to give a clearer picture of the dates affected and how/what you used affected the outcome

1) Run virus scans on the hardware you bought your oneplus device from
    2) If you can post device used and confirm virus scan run
    3) Confirm dates you were affected by this issue, purchase date from website and the subsequent fraudulent activity
    4) Type of payment credit card/paypal etc

5. Andres
    Eclair Jan 15, 2018

Andres , Jan 15, 2018 :
    I wrote their names in case they want to reply and say they are not fake. I just gave my opinion

izzykasha likes this.
  6. RalP
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

RalP , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Don't you think a brand new phone qualifies as a brand new account too? Seems legit to me :)

Paul_W_, G_E_hanan and akil2305 like this.
  7. RalP
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

RalP , Jan 15, 2018 :
    ugh there was a smiley there too, no offense taken off course

8. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2018

Yes and some users only get involved when they have been affected, until then they are silent.

Both plausible opinions lets see how this pans out

rarog likes this.
  9. achibula
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 15, 2018

achibula , Jan 15, 2018 :
    I disagree totally with your opinion that PayPal is not more secure!
    No one who had paid with PayPal on OP website could have issues, because it's a 3th party payment!
    It is handled by a different secured and own website, not OP!!!
    If you have a very strong password and 2 factor security enabled, you will never have issues.
    And BTW there are some phishing mails about PayPal, but there are phishing attacks about all services, even about your bank!!!
    BUT RULE NUMBER ONE: YOUR FINANCIAL SERVICES WILL NEVER ASK YOU ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNTS OR PASSWORD IN MAILING!!!
    And all Paypal messages in mail are with https and a green locked hanglock!!!

10. Andres
    Eclair Jan 15, 2018

Andres , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Yeah yeah sure there might be real accounts. But I don't think they all are. Sorry if someone gets offended by what I said hahaha, I was just giving my opnion

izzykasha and RalP like this.
  11. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Jan 15, 2018

rarog , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Please don't start a witch hunt. People can read about these problems in the news and after this find this thread and then writing about this. I think OP will have some announcement soon, so the people will be able to contact OP directly and those who had the fraudulent payments will be able to send their data to OP, who will be able to help and will be able to investigate.
    Not everybody comes into a community just because he has some product. But people tend to go into the forums of a manufacturer, when they have problems. And credit card fraud is definitely a problem. I don't see any direct correlation between fresh accounts and don't being legit.

SoniaB, meatandy, G_E_hanan and 2 others like this.
  12. rdpayne
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

rdpayne , Jan 15, 2018 :
    I ordered through oneplus with a credit card in mid November.

Amazon called me on Saturday to verify whether or not I had created a new account with my credit card. They blocked any payment before Mastercard was aware of an attempted purchase of an Xbox One S.

Thanks to Amazon being proactive, I quickly cancelled that card before any fraudulent purchases were made.

13. Adam_nerell
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

Adam_nerell , Jan 15, 2018 :
    And may be, we haven't seen a reason to hangout in the forums, just because we're buying a phone, until now that is.

Again, anyone recently bought a phone through the OP webstore should cancel their cards immediately, this is not a coincidence.

That said, I'm a huge OP fan and advocate, but right now that doesn't matter. I've bought two phones in december, and one last Friday, and last Thursday my card was used to purchase an AA ticket in Zurich. That leads me to believe that the info was stolen prior to my latest purchase.

I use this card almost only for OP-purchases as they don't accept my regular company card.

G_E_hanan and rarog like this.
  14. ashtaru
    Donut Jan 15, 2018

ashtaru , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Hi there,

just to shed some light on this from my side: I generally don't post on forums - saw the link to this thread on reddit - didn't even think my card info got out from OnePlus until then. Didn't have a registered account here - but I thought it might be beneficial if I also added my story to the whole. Not everyone lives on internet forums who has a phone.

15. Njut
    Donut Jan 15, 2018

Njut , Jan 15, 2018 :
    I'm not fake. I created my account today because I wanted to share my misadventure. During more than 3 years, I never had any problem with my different OnePlus (OPO, OP3, OP5T) so I didn't have any account on the forum.

rarog and izzykasha like this.
  16. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2018

Thanks for your reply Ashtaru

Is there any chance you could let us know the device you used to purchase your oneplus product on and if you can run a virus scan on it please.

17. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2018

Thanks for your reply Njut,

COuld you confirm the device you used to purchase your oneplus product and run a virus scan on it if possible

18. H1515869246802
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

H1515869246802 , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Hey Andres
    just to reassure you that mine is a real account.
    I only created this account to share my case since I've been affected too.I think that a lot of other people will do the same.

have a good day

akil2305 and izzykasha like this.
  19. izzykasha
    Lollipop Jan 15, 2018

Thanks for your reply - could you confirm the device you used to purchase your oneplus product and run a virus scan on it please

20. rdpayne
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2018

rdpayne , Jan 15, 2018 :
    Before this reply to you, my credit card fraud post was my first.

Be careful with what you are insinuating, and particularly going so far as to call out specific usernames.

My Oneplus account was created a few years ago with another purchase before my current 5t, and yet I only just came to this forum to contribute my take on this subject.

rarog likes this.