Crushed Blacks OnePlus 7Pro

1. ronjamesmajor
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2020

ronjamesmajor , Feb 25, 2020 :
    I have done some googling and cannot seem to find an answer to this anywhere. I have totally crushed Blacks in my display.

I purchased my 7 Pro in November, and have loved being a OnePlus owner. however, about three weeks ago I noticed a strange occurrence where while viewing the phone in the evening, everything seemed rather dull and muted. sort of washed out.

I adjusted the brightness and carried on.

I have since come to discover that a lot of gifs I send have very crushed Blacks. like no detail at all in dark pixels. my girlfriend received her 7T today, and I sent her a crushed out gif, which displayed perfectly on her phone.

To test if this was a "me" problem I also checked Netflix, and my Google photos to discover even dark pixels in Netflix shows and trailers are fully crushed to no detail at all on dark pixels. this doesn't occur on UI elements. mostly just video and pictures. occasionally websites as well.

I have tried adjusting the different color and saturation levels in the display settings and nothing seems to resolve this problem.

1582601210090.jpg
    Has anyone else had a similar issue or a solution? What is my best course of action to diagnose or fix this problem?

2. Shocky
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2020

Shocky , Feb 25, 2020 :
    The display has been fine so me, sounds like your describing the difference from a standard LCD to OLED, the OLED image will appear darker overall in video, it's just something you will have to get used to.

If it was a TV you could compensate by increasing the black level, obviously we don't get this option on phones, but it's odd that you've only noticed it recently.

Is the video enhancer enabled?

flither likes this.
  3. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Feb 25, 2020

The_Unkown , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 25, 2020 :
    I have same problem , reported to customer care ,they didn't respond well , I went to OnePlus care 1200km traveling only to hear it is not a bug so it can't be sorted out.

rest is a joke.

ronjamesmajor likes this.
  4. Shocky
    Honeycomb Feb 25, 2020

Shocky , Feb 25, 2020 :
    It's not a fault and neither is it a bug..... So what do you expect them to tell you? They probably could increase the black level but it would affect everything and not just video.

It looks fine to me and I've been using OLED displays for years..

I would disable video enhancer though as I think it makes things worse.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020

5. flither
    Froyo Feb 25, 2020

flither , Feb 25, 2020 :
    The best way to check your black level is checking with some test images, for example this one - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php .
    Set a full screen brightness and check in dim/dark environment. If you can see all rectangles up to #3 then it means your display black levels are quite ok for Amoled, if you can see #2 and #1 than your display is fine (I can see up to #2 in the dark)

6. ronjamesmajor
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2020

I tested this, this morning. Turns out I can see all rectangles on the full screen test in a dimly lit environment with full brightness, with the exception of rectangle #1.

I assume this means it's good?
    I still am not sure how there can be very crushed blacks on my amoled panel but not on my partner's. despite the difference in resolution I had thought those two panels were the same material.

I suppose I can get used to it. It is a minor irritation. It just seems to have appeared out of no where, and I swear it had not been like that before.

I did download (and subsequently buy the pro version) of an app which adjusts brightness and contrast and turning the contrast down on that app will bring the blacks back to life.
    However, that too makes everything pretty washed out and is just drawing over other apps.

flither likes this.
  7. ronjamesmajor
    Cupcake Feb 25, 2020

I checked all of the display settings, and even factory reset the phone last night thinking it was software. Perhaps my eyes simply hadn't noticed this, but I think I would have before now. Checking the test images in another post, I can actually see most levels of black and greyscale without crushing but certain levels, lines, and rectangles simply don't appear at all once it gets down to the darkest levels. l believe that should be normal for oleds.

color mode is set to natural, and video enhancer is off. dark mode is on, 90hz on, and nothing else that may affect it is turned on. It's almost as though somehow the contrast has become ultra high, which is maybe something with OLEDs as well. however I never faced this problem on my pixel 3.

flither likes this.
  8. flither
    Froyo Feb 25, 2020

flither , Feb 25, 2020 :
    Yeah, this is pretty normal for OLEDs, black crush seems to be minimal in your case so nothing to worry about.
    Also there is a matter of what apps are you using to watch media, some of them can just cut out parts of the signal, depending on decoders. The same of course goes with the quality of the material itself (codecs and their quality used for movies, streams etc.).
    Additionally, automatic brightness behaves little bit different than manual (in manual the contrast gets higher after 40% brightness, at least for me) so there are many variables :)

Shocky and ronjamesmajor like this.
  9. The_Unkown
    Jelly Bean Mar 13, 2020

10. Z1531589987685
    Cupcake Mar 26, 2020

11. Roger.T
    Honeycomb Mar 26, 2020

Roger.T , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 26, 2020 :
    It also depends on the quality of the gifs.
    Most of them are bad and often limited to 500 pixels..
    This always looks bad on a QHD + display.
    I understand the service center if they cannot help you...[e]1f601[/e][e]1f609[/e]

12. E1581022147889
    Honeycomb Mar 26, 2020

E1581022147889 , Mar 26, 2020 :
    Can u send me source of movie u notice this and also the image u talking about. Just link to movie and attach picture.

13. Ashish_Sebastian_
    Cupcake Apr 20, 2020

Ashish_Sebastian_ , Apr 20, 2020 :
    Even I have the same issue with OnePlus 7pro, blacks feel greyish in colour when in low brightness and sometimes it even feels greenish in colour. It was working completely fine until 2 weeks and just before 2 weeks i have been noticing this issue with my phone. I had also replaced the display of my phone last month through servify as i had broken it. Can anyone help me with this?
    1587387467023.jpg

1587387480435.jpg