Custom NavBar trend - Reasons why its a regression from stock android exp.

?

How should Oneplus fix this

1. Revert to stock android behavior for color of navbar

66.7%
  2. Provide ability to select default navbar color (a.l.a LG UI6.0)

16.7%
  3. Link the Navbar color with the system theme - Dark, default or White

16.7%
  4. Do nothing (leave it as is)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. subashchandran
    Eclair Nov 22, 2017

subashchandran , Nov 22, 2017 :
    It seems like Oneplus implemented a custom navbar to support the hiding functionality ? does this break the app based navbar color selection which works well in stock navbar. (I am wary of this route OEMs take as most ppl won't like the glaring white navbar over dark apps like spotify/netflix as seen on MIUI and LG UI6)

At least on LG you have a choice between selecting white or black navbar, in the case of Oxygen OS on Oneplus 5T this will be a regression from what stock android navbar offers by default. I hope this is fixed in future builds as I cant stand seeing that white navbar on an ink black display running apps like netflix or spotify with deep dark themed UI.

[​IMG]

Picture ref: XDA https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5t-everything-new/

Attached Files:

X1511206666460 likes this.
  2. imattv4
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2017

imattv4 , Nov 22, 2017 :
    Damn. I was hoping this wouldn't be an issue. I usually rock custom ROMs anyway, so I'll just hide it until then.

3. subashchandran
    Eclair Nov 22, 2017

subashchandran , Nov 22, 2017 :
    This looks really bad, im gonna have to disable the navbar using build.prop hwkeys =1 option as soon as I get TWRP installed. Im probably better off using Pie or gesture navigation from the bottom corner rather than having to deal with this eye sore white navbar on dark apps.. This is the first phone from oneplus that has on screen nav as the only option and I guess they didnt analyze the use case very well as they customized the stock behavior.

4. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Nov 22, 2017

Salt505 likes this.
  5. Jardani
    KitKat Nov 22, 2017

6. Jardani
    KitKat Nov 22, 2017

7. Jardani
    KitKat Nov 22, 2017

8. Ryster
    Froyo Nov 22, 2017

Ryster , Nov 22, 2017 :
    We heard you the first time ;)

subashchandran and Salt505 like this.
  9. Random Indian
    Gingerbread Nov 22, 2017

Random Indian , Nov 22, 2017 :
    Having been used to the capacity keys, I was irritated by the navbar on screen.

The bar was whitish and was standing out below my black keyboard. Wanted to have the navbar in black forever or atleast when the keyboard is open.

Found no way to do that in oxygen os on OP 5t.

Starred using this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.damianpiwowarski.navbarapps

Oneplus, if you are listening, please provide an option to change navbar color on the phone's settings.

MentalDraco likes this.
  10. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Nov 22, 2017

MentalDraco , Nov 22, 2017 :
    Well at least there is an app for now ^w^ i'll keep this in mind when i get mine.

11. subashchandran
    Eclair Nov 23, 2017

subashchandran , Nov 23, 2017 :
    navbarapp is not the end all solution.. it just makes in broken in a different way. Its too much work setting up custom colors and rules for individual apps. Setting it to black all the time helps a little + disabling the animation to change to black makes it look tad seamless - but then, this is not MIUI, where you settle for a half assed user experience.

This issue has plagued every custom OEM skin who tried to mess with the navbar. MIUI 9 and LG were worst offenders which is basically why an app like "navbarapp" exists.
    @Carl - I've considered Oneplus to be the antithesis of MIUI-like systems which go against the android purist experience. Why change something which works well in stock.

12. Jardani
    KitKat Nov 23, 2017

Jardani , Nov 23, 2017 :
    Obviously it was a system glitch.

13. subashchandran
    Eclair Nov 23, 2017

subashchandran , Nov 23, 2017 :
    after some discussions with folks on reddit, I think this is an intentional change given the recent trend towards removing capacitive navigation keys. If we think about it, most mainstream OLED flagships in last 4 years were either from Samsung or Oneplus and they all had capacitive/hw keys until S8 and OP5T happened. This might also explain why S8 had a software gimmick to move the positions of the softkey buttons ever so slightly in regular intervals - possibly to prevent burn in. Pixel 2 XL burn ins validate this arg further as that nav area is sort of static and ever present on the screen. All said and done, for me personally its just a plain sore sight when it contrasts with the app color.. may be we need a gesture based navigation like iphone X to alleviate this problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯