D.I.Y. Tell your story.

1. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Jun 9, 2020

MosheG1 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    diy 2.png

Hey everyone! I'm back with a new thread!

Many people have been stuck at home for a while now, and subsequently their has been plenty of boredom, and boredom when utilized correctly leads to creativity and innovation!

This thread was inspired by my friend @luxuskamel who recently shared pictures of his closet which he converted into a desk and computer area in his spare time.

I thought that was really cool and so I started thinking about different projects I've seen around the forums, and I realized that there are many people in this community that have created things themselves! from charging stations to cutomized cases to building their own treehouse! and I realized that we have many creative people in our forums that are a big fan of DIY and creating things themselves and so I decided to host a thread dedicated to the creative and DIY culture we have here in the community.

Here is my story.

I had recently taken over my school gym and had bought all the equipment off of the previous owners and much of the equipment was rusty and old. I knew I needed to replace all the rusty equipment but it was very expensive to do so.

1591627958653.jpg

1591627958684.jpg

I did some research online and I discovered there is a way to restore rusty weights, and while it's a labor intensive process I knew it would save me a lot of money.

So I spent a lot of my breaks over the course of a month or 2 restoring the weights by soaking them in vinegar which eats at the rust.

Then I scrubbed them down with steel wool to take off all the rust and old paint until there was just bare metal left.

1591628014136.jpg

Then after some research online I found out about Rust-Oleum which is a paint used for metals and I spray painted all the weights black to make them look nice and prevent future rust.

1591628065938.jpg

I then took a special type of sharpie paint pen used for metal amd painted all the numbers on the weights gold so they will be more visible for users. I was able to save myself a nice amount of money while having fun throughout the creative process which is what D.I.Y. is all about! (and I would like to think they came out pretty nice too!)
    1591628170686.jpg

1591628170712.jpg

1591628170657.jpg

That is my D.I.Y. story where I got creative to solve a problem.

Now it's your turn! Please share stories and pictures of things you've done or created, whether it be building something cool or making your own version of a phone case you can't buy, or really anytime you got creative and decided to do something on your own. There is plenty to share!

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jun 9, 2020

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Hi everyone, @dsmonteiro here again.

We're thrilled to host this thread as the second Writers' Club thread by a guest writer. Do you have any ideas for an amazing topic? Feel free to reach out via personal message. We're always looking for great content to share.

3. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 9, 2020

Stickied Post
    Starcommander , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Hey @MosheG1 that's a great thread.
    If anyone knows me on forum they might know how much I love those DIY stuff.Here is the latest DIY product I made using packaging of OnePlus products.

DIY magnetic case using OnePlus packaging
    The entire story and the process is in this link. 😊
    I would be more than happy if you guys check them out.
    1271097-d9c3c6a4c139422d90f5689b9a938e61.jpg

1271098-c4132ef4fc1aaba9a1495a6b21e1a95e.gif

The second product which I made is really close to my heart.

The OnePlus charging station with glowing OnePlus logo.

The story behind it was pretty simple. I loved the glowing apple logo of MacBook so decided to make one charging dock having similar glowing OnePlus logo.

More on this :
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...rything-oneplus.1095754/page-14#post-20727377

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020

4. Batman360
    Lollipop Jun 9, 2020

Stickied Post
    Batman360 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Yaaaaaayyyyyy @MosheG1 congratss for the thread😍😍😍😍🔥🔥🔥🔥
    They way you have shined the weights is really soo cool, i looks like new, and you saved alot of money too, all the hard work really pays off and also the attention to details, i love it 🔥🔥

My entry:

There are lots of bottles lying around in my house, so instead of throwing it away, why not grow life in it 😉 Compressing the hours, it took around 2hours maybe, my sister helped me with it too😊

IMG_20200611_113020_001.jpg

IMG_20200611_113030_001.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020

5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jun 9, 2020

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Jun 9, 2020 :
    The thing that mostly resembles a DIY project is my tiny Raspberry Pi 4 (and 2).

IMG_20200609_163506.jpg

The Raspberry Pi opens a world of possibilities but, for now, I'm using it for a few nifty things:

- Recursive DNS Server. A DNS server turns the addresses you type, e.g. oneplus.com, into an IP address that allows your PC to talk to a specific server. Usually, you connect to certain DNS servers online that do that for you. By implementing my own DNS Server, I don't have to rely on third parties that can go through my internet traffic and I also avoid the (unlike) scenario where a DNS server becomes compromised and connects you to a fake website.
    - Adblocker. Rather than running an adblocker on my Chrome or Firefox, I have a solid adblocker for my entire network, across all devices.
    - PLEX Server. The Raspberry Pi isn't that poweful, but it's more than enough to host my PLEX Server (provided that I don't use transcoding). This means I have a tiny power-efficient server that sips a couple euros of energy per year, rather than something more power hungry.
    - Personal File Server. By implemeting my own personal file server, I can easily share a disk across all computers and phones at home, making it easy to wirelessly copy files between devices.

6. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 9, 2020

Stickied Post
    You reminded me of this currency counter I made using arduino uno r3...

7. Swatiranjan
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 9, 2020

Stickied Post
    Swatiranjan , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Hi there,

So here it is ... My D.I.Y,

I am having a Xiaomi make10400 mAH power-bank.

1591725307320.jpg

One day while commuting from my home to office ( approx 100 kM) my phone was running out of juice and I was travelling without the phone charger ( Was not a OnePlus user then [e]1f61c[/e], and I have never forgetten to take the charger with me before)
    Fortunately I was having the power-bank but unfortunately it stopped working on that day. [e]1f633[/e]

Sometimes Facing difficulties lead to innovation.

I could have borrowed a charger from someone, or buy a new power bank, but I decided to do some experiments.

I have never seen the inside of a power bank.

I just tried to open it to see what's inside and guess what I felt like - Eureka ! I got it

1591726066757.jpg

There are 4 cells which are interconnected to boost the capacity to 10400 mAH. I found top of one cell was completely rusted and was creating a short circuit ( the reason why it didn't hold the charge).
    I didn't have much to do and decided to throw the power bank and buy a new one.
    wait a minute !

If, 4 cells = 10400 mAH
    then 3 cells ??? 7800 mAH. I am an Engineer, I can't let it go so easily.

So, I did the needful. ( Just disconnected one cell from the bank) and cleaned the rest of the portion.

1591726354448.jpg

All this and I am not sure whether it'll work or not...

Hurrey! I have converted my 10400 mAH power bank to a 7800 mAH power bank.

1591726575581.jpg

Now it's working fine and I felt truely like an Engineer after that.

P.S : Photographs are taken today with my OP device for representation only.

❣️ SRD

8. fragargon

Stickied Post
    fragargon , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Hey @MosheG1

It's a story the way I like it. There's nothing like bringing things back to life, transforming them to suit your taste. Personally I get more pleasure out of using them. DIY a smart way to consume objects.
    You did pretty good, those alters look new. I like the little touch of red paint to define the weight of the alters. :)

I'll present you to simples DIY object, buy a Euro coin from a Swedish furniture giant who makes it easy to assemble. I did that some time ago on winter evenings. I watch TV distractedly, I settle down with a good cutter and cut out bets from the chard that I don't feel necessary.
    In the beginning there was this:

[​IMG]

Then with a little time and effort, it changes and becomes that:

[​IMG]

I present another one. I'm not showing you all of them, I've got a whole wall of them. A photo frame, a cutter, a little wax, patience and ideas are enough. It's more pleasant to look at and better enhances the picture that will reside there.

[​IMG]

Voila this is a little DIY story.
    Your great thread is whispering some idea in my mind... I will see if I find whatr i want. ;)

9. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Community Expert Jun 10, 2020

Stickied Post
    cdnfarmer , Jun 10, 2020 :
    Great thread MosheG1!! I'm impressed with your hard work and how beautiful the end project turned out.. Those weights look nice. Black is a great idea...then the marker for the weigh numbers. Awesome! :hearteyecat:

As requested, I'll post three DIY projects around the farm and home below. Please note pictures will be added later.

Impressed with your projects. Keep up the good work!

MosheG1, when we talked, you mentioned about projects around the farm. I don't have pictures (yeah I know but long story) :eek: of the probably more useful DIY project: fence wind barrier... but will describe it and hopefully get some pictures of the completed fence later. Other project is a gardening option, close to home and adjustment to some recent changes. And third is DIY transforming halloween costume.

1. Wind Barrier.
    Purpose:
    • to provide shelter to livestock during the winter months
    • to help protect the ground from soil erosion, and
    • to collect snow for ground water.
    Materials:
    Pallets. Those wooden items on which products are shipped. These are great. They have small lats of wood with space in between then. This is very important to diffuse the wind and not build up a swirl and cause other issue. In fact, it actually provides better shelter than a solid fence. ;)
    lumber 2x4, 2x6 and screws.

Background:
    There were pallets laying around and with the recycling mind frame and reusing projects instead of sending them to the landfill, this pellet fence was created. At first, I thought, oh...that is pretty straight forward.... It actually required a few more engineering thoughts and approach.

There was an existing post and barb wire fence. It was soon obvious that the pallets could not be fastened directly on the existing posts. So up went a 2x6 pieces near the top of the post and below. Then the pellets were heavy... too heavy to be solely fastened so then, used small leftover wood that could not be used elsewhere and made somewhat 'pilings" and a place where lumber can be put ontop. Several layers of pallets were needed... these layers were attached by "leftover or scrap pieces" of wood. Then the pallets where lifted into place and screwed ontop on the lumber and pilings. It turned out to withstand strong winds, improved shelter and soil condition.

Edit (15 June2020): picture added.
    IMG_20200613_205055__01_001.jpg

2. Gardening
    For many reasons, having a big in ground garden is not possible this year. However, that doesn't mean that limiting the types and amount of vegetables grown should happen. There are the possibility of using various containers or building wood planters. However, that comes with a cost too. The simple and most cost effective solution was to get plastic tubs, make a few holes for draining, put dirt, and plant seeds.
    IMG_20200608_163117__01_001.jpg

3.Transforming Optimus Prime Costume
    Had seen transforming costumes on YT. It looked neat. Lots of work that some were discouraged with the idea. But when someone young so important and close to you is sooo excited with the idea... well the sleepless nights are less of an issue. ;)

Got some cardboard boxes, foam, straps, indoor sample paint from local hardware store (very important as other paints run and don't withstand or can't get enough layers on it to cover the box, zipties, glue, tapes, and construction papers.

Watched a couple of you tube videos and on repeat. ;) And yes, there are steps not shown but important and time consuming to make the project successful.

Took boxes, cut out holes, looked to see how it fit, had to add foam layer to make it fit better and more comfortable. Drew flames using stencils then marked them with paint, painted in the rest, used tape to make the black windows, used black consutruction paper with strips of duct tape to make the grill, ensure that there was a flipping hood so when the kid stood up, it flipped backwards and when "transformed" and laid on the floor, it covered his head. Pieces were made for the arms to look like front fenders, and on the back to look like the wheels.

It ended up inspiring a transforming bumblebee costume... and not the one Carl wore.

IMG_20181022_234443__01_001.jpg

IMG_20181023_013944_001.jpg

IMG_20181023_013926_002.jpg

IMG_20181024_002850__01_001.jpg

IMG_20181024_002901__01_001.jpg

IMG_20181025_094210__01_001.jpg

IMG_20181026_192948__01__01_001.jpg
    yes, Bumblebee is in "transformed" mode.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020

10. Plenkske
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Jun 10, 2020

Stickied Post
    Plenkske , Jun 10, 2020 :
    Great thread, with lots of nice projects already !
    D.I.Y. projects are really nice to do and can be super satisfying.

Personally I'm not qualifying myself as very creative or a super handy man. But I can handle with things involving electronics, networking and other gadgets or IT stuff. When projects become too large I get help from friends and family, and by doing that you also learn a lot !

A bit over 3 months ago we got the key of our new place. So there is always lots to do. I wont bother with the many small things. Two D.I.Y. projects were a bit larger and we are very happy with the results.

Bedroom closet
    We wanted a whole wall, a corner and a part below a window covered with a closet. Looked up some things and it seemed to be perfectly doable with the IKEA Pax system. Price/quality is also perfect with this :) So we got the materials, the idea and a drawing. Time to build, we had help from family.

IMG-20200307-WA0008.jpg
    Here the complete frame is done. As you can see the left part needed adjustments. Also the far left corner we filled up and we made sure the part under the window perfectly aligned with the rest.

IMG-20200309-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20200309-WA0025.jpeg
    IMG-20200310-WA0012 (Large).jpeg
    The doors also needed some adjustmenst in the left part.

IMG-20200328-WA0001.jpg
    Here you see the closet completely done ! :)
    As you might notice, we also filled up the top part with the same material. So no dust collecting on the top side. Atleast, we wont notice it :D

Wooden gate
    At one side of the house we can access our backyard, but it was completely open. So we wanted a small wooden gate there. We build it ourselves and later painted it in the same color as another part of the house. Last weekend we adjusted the gate a little bit, now it stays better in place and better leveled.
    IMG_20200319_123930 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20200521_133311 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20200521_133322 (Large).jpg

Its glossy paint, so the weird looking parts on these pictures is actually reflection :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020

11. Mr. BG
    Marshmallow Jun 10, 2020

Stickied Post
    Mr. BG , Jun 10, 2020 :
    Nice thread @MosheG1

We've recently renovated our barn/shed whatever you may call it, after 20 years the roof started leaking, and it could use a new coat of paint.

DA8E4A0E-378D-43EF-AD15-24ACF4A7A6F5.jpeg

In front of it is our 110 year old Appletree :)

12. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Jun 10, 2020

Stickied Post
    luxuskamel , Jun 10, 2020 :
    Great thread @MosheG1

Here's my project:
    I built a table table that fits perfectly in some spare space. I used an old wooden table top and cutted its shape to fit between the window and a wall. Additionally I used the shelf behind it for my audio system, Notebook docking station, light management for the room and the desk, and a monitor. With wireless mouse and wireless keyboard the desk is very clean and there are no cables. There are some minor things I still need to work on but it's working great so far. Advantages of this desk are the better light thanks to near windows, and the windows so that soldering doesn't smell that bad in the whole room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20200612_101110_001.jpg

What I still need to do:
    • Install Bluetooth music receiver
    • Expose USB on the desk
    • Add a socket strip
    • Add OnePlus charging cable

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020

13. fragargon
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 11, 2020

Stickied Post
    fragargon , Jun 11, 2020 :
    @MosheG1 I told you that I had an idea.

I wanted to use some Serigraphic technic to enhanced my desktop computer's frame

1.jpg

so i tried with to "transfert" this printed copied on a 80gr normal paper (I cut around)

2.jpg 3.jpg

But it failed, I need to master this. At least the final aspect doesn't meet my expectation.

4.jpg

Sometimes, you tried DIY and can't succeed at first try.
    Il will keep on with this, I will try on different way.
    I wanna point that sometimes DIY could failed, this story worth telling it because that's how I learned and lead me to go forward

m2c ;)

14. Number_Six
    Eclair Jun 11, 2020

Stickied Post
    Number_Six , Jun 11, 2020 :
    More than 1 year ago I decided tu build a small Jeep for my nephew 3 years old.... so I did!

1591876536735.jpg

1591876536816.jpg

1591876536883.jpg

1591876536928.jpg

1591876536973.jpg

1591876537024.jpg
    It was a beautiful work, and testing it....Funny!

Now it's time to upgrade, the original 2 motor 35 watt are too small, the little driver request more power for grass and mud... so bought an used motor of mobility scooter,
    1591876921769.jpg
    More Watt, and also differential gears.
    Little difficult to adapt it:

1591877010110.jpg

1591877010220.jpg

1591877010312.jpg
    And now, to balance the power, I need to put the batteries over the front tires

1591877142236.jpg

1591877142343.jpg
    Now it is all ok, but.... I prefer to expect some days prior to invite my nephew in my home, risk of virus is high, and the safe of children is in first place.
    In next weeks I hope to see the child to drive it in the grass...

15. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Jun 11, 2020

Stickied Post
    Bouncer71 , Jun 11, 2020 :
    Hi there @MosheG1...

Sorry...
    I'm a bit stressed out here...

But here's one project I still have the pics on the phone...

D.I.Y. 37mm Lens Case..
    Since I made this a long time ago for the 3T..

IMG_20200104_174028__01_001_001.jpg

I thought of doing the same for the 7Pro...
    On the 3T it was easy just having one camera lens, but on the 7Pro...?
    How to do this without getting in the way or covering one of those cameras...?

I started with measuring and placing the lenses...
    IMG_20200119_091823__01_002.jpg
    IMG_20200119_174357__01_002.jpg

Those are unused lenses...
    I cut off the bottom thread to get more surface to clue the parts onto the case..
    Also had to cut out the parts where the top threads collide...

Mixed up the epoxy and fix the parts with clamps...
    IMG_20200119_132618__01_002.jpg

For the devided thread in needed a lenscap to apply pressure evenly and keep everything in place...

IMG_20200119_134447__01_002.jpg

Couple of hours later...

IMG_20200120_093521_001.jpg

The fun fact is that 37mm is the perfect diameter to not cast a shadow over the main and tele lens, laser auto focus still functioning..
    Wide-angle lens only showing an attached lens but not the thread itself... ;)

More to follow...
    Sunday maybe.. ;)

Have a great day y'all...

Now I need to have a look at all those other projects... :)

16. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Jun 11, 2020

Stickied Post
    jlasensiofi , Jun 11, 2020 :
    Look @Bouncer, equal, equal, equal to what I did with an ND filter for my OnePlus 7 Pro :tonguewink::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

IMG_20190227_102558_1.jpg

17. JustASoftwareEngineer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 11, 2020

Stickied Post
    JustASoftwareEngineer , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jun 11, 2020 :
    Here's my low effort DIY of the month. My sincerest apologies for this not being more exciting, but here it is.

My N95 mask's head band snapped.

So, I armed myself with a trusty hot glue gun and set off on a journey of self-discovery, practicality, and redemption.

I applied a bead of hot glue right by the staple originally holding the elastic band in place. I refit the elastic band into the glue, and waited a few minutes.

Pictures (Shot on my OnePlus 8 Pro):

1591909412339.jpg

1591909412437.jpg

1591909412528.jpg

1591909412620.jpg

Voila, all fixed, and I sure did do it myself.

I hope you read this and find inspiration to take yourself on your own DIY journey.

buntycubal, B.I.T.S., Neposis and 5 others like this.
  18. Number_Six
    Eclair Jun 12, 2020

Stickied Post
    Number_Six , Jun 12, 2020 :
    Wow!
    How many fans!!
    Some seconds of the first test with original small motors more than 1 years ago....

19. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 9, 2020

Dresa91 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    great one dude:)
    I am curious about all the entries:)

20. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    I've seen both of these before from you and yet I'm still blown away by how cool these are! it's really great!

thanks for sharing!

21. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 9, 2020

:)

jlasensiofi, luxuskamel, YRJ and 8 others like this.
  22. Swatiranjan

Hi @MosheG1 that's a great story. Rust cleaners are easily available in market, but they are bit costly, soaking in Vinegar was a great idea. VITRIOL is a great solution as well which is less costly.
    Thanks for sharing your story.

luxuskamel, YRJ, script and 7 others like this.
  23. Swatiranjan

@Starcommander you are awesome.
    Such small small innovations are really worth it. Great to see these red glowing #OPlogo.

luxuskamel, script, Bouncer71 and 6 others like this.
  24. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    thanks! [e]1f604[/e]
    do you have a story you could share? (it could be anything creative!)

25. Swatiranjan

Haha everyone does have stories in their daily lives. Sometime we missed to capture. 'll remind & post one.

Thanks

26. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    awesome! I can't wait to see what you did!

27. MosheG1

MosheG1 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    thanks! can't wait to see your entry when you update it!
    I would say that raspberry pi is the definition of D.I.Y. [e]1f602[/e]
    that is really cool! I want to build my own raspberry pi computer one day!

28. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Jun 9, 2020

G_plusone , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Awesome thread Moshe.
    And good use of time and mind to Recycle old gym weights.
    I will see if I still have my Automate Flow for Volume Control when Volume button got stuck :D

29. Anshu3110

Anshu3110 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    That is just brilliantly done, Moshe! Absolutely love it! :D

I honestly thought it was a dessert until I saw the picture. :p
    I can't possibly think of how this was made, but understanding all the functions, I think it's a brilliant job done there! :D

(Great, I'm still thinking about a raspberry pie dessert that I can't possibly have right now)

30. Ashwinprakash
    Donut Jun 9, 2020

luxuskamel likes this.
  31. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016 Jun 9, 2020

Dresa91 , Jun 9, 2020 :
    is it a D.I.Y project of yours?

32. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jun 9, 2020