Daily Driver Comparison: OnePlus 7T Speed Face-off

1. alexhpeterson
    US Brand Ambassador Oct 8, 2019 at 9:14 PM

alexhpeterson , Oct 8, 2019 at 9:14 PM :
    Speed Face off.png

Speed, what is it? And how does it impact the user’s interaction with their device? Hey everyone! I’m @alexhpeterson, one of the OnePlus Brand Ambassadors, and today I’ll be talking to you about the speed of the OnePlus 7T. With the newest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+, 90Hz display, UFS 3.0, 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage, the 7T has the internals to be one of the fastest phones around. Luckily I was able to compare the performance to my roommate’s Google Pixel 3 XL. And while I do not have any high-tech equipment to test the speed down to the millisecond, this thread will hopefully give you an idea of what to expect from the performance of the 7T.

Speed in unlocking a phone is incredibly important. The 7T combines a fast fingerprint reader and face unlock to be one of the quickest unlocking OnePlus phones ever. The in-screen fingerprint reader unlocks the phone in roughly the same time as the Google Pixel 3XL and OnePlus 7 Pro fingerprint readers, but it varied from test to test. With the face unlock, a staple since the 5T, the 7T continues with effortless access at the push of a button. Both the fingerprint sensor and the face unlock combine to get you into your phone when needed without a seconds delay.

One speed comparison will happen before the phone is even unlocked. How fast can you access apps from the lock screen? For most phones, both on iOS and Android, apps are accessed from a menu or app drawer and the phone must be unlocked prior to selecting the app. On the OnePlus 7T, it is possible to quickly and easily access apps through the screen-off gestures. By drawing an O, V, S, M, or W on your screen, you can access 5 selected apps without the hassle of searching through a drawer. While available on the 7 Pro, the OnePlus 7T operates faster because it does not require the front facing camera to pop up to unlock the device. With the Google Pixel 3XL , the time to open an app from screen-off and cleared cache was roughly 2.25 seconds, while with screen off gestures on the 7T the time was around 1.8 seconds.

A true measure of speed is opening and using apps. As seen in @KnightofScorpio 's post about gaming, the 7T holds up on the gaming side, but also goes beyond when multitasking or enabling multiple apps. While using the 7T, there is minimal lag when opening and operating apps like Adobe Lightroom, Clip, or other editing apps. Jumping between different apps is silky smooth and even with numerous apps open and running in the background, there was never an issue with opening a new app to add to the pile.

Also with the new Warp 30T charging, the 7T has a faster charging rate than any OnePlus device before. Keep an eye out for a future post by @AZaiarnyi!

In the end, phone speeds are approaching a point where differences between devices will be almost indiscernible to the human senses. That said, the 7T gets you into apps quickly and navigates smoothly to give you top notch performance you deserve. If you want to see the 7T speed in action (and buy one for yourself) come to Showfields this Friday in NYC!!! A few Brand Ambassadors and OnePlus staff will be there throughout the day and you can be one of the first to get your hands on the 7T. Hope to see you there!

AZaiarnyi and JuAnCaStRoP like this.
  2. JelleZon
    Lollipop Oct 9, 2019 at 9:46 PM

JelleZon , Oct 9, 2019 at 9:46 PM :
    I am a little bit worried about the battery life...

a lot of reviews say its "just okay enough"
    seems like the more powerful SD855+ and the 90hz display are the reason

3. Pekkause
    Cupcake Oct 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM

Pekkause , Oct 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM :
    You can always disable the 90hz screen though, and the charging is super fast so I wouldn't be worried about my battery

4. JelleZon
    Lollipop Oct 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM

JelleZon , Oct 13, 2019 at 9:40 AM :
    So disable one of the only unique features of the phone?

Makes sense ...