Display Damaged screen - retrieve data when locked

1. Artemissia Cupcake Oct 10, 2018

Artemissia, Oct 10, 2018 :
    Hey guys,

So my 5T sank into some water and stayed under for just one second, but I guess I didn't give it enough time in the rice bowl to dry off, so when I charged it, the screen got damaged. Silly me.

I even managed to make it worse by restarting the phone, so now I'm basically locked out of it and the android file recovery software cannot access it.

Any advice?

I searched here + googled pretty much everything about it + probably d/l some malware to my mac while trying to figure this one out but to no avail :(

Help?

Thanks.

2. camohan Lollipop Moderator Oct 10, 2018

camohan, Oct 10, 2018 :
    Are you certain that your phone is still working but it's just that your display is gone. Can you see notification lights ?

The same thing happened with my OnePlus, water, rice, charged, no life on display but I could see notification lights. I visited the service centre and they replaced the screen without any damage to data. Same happened with my boss's OnePlus 2 during screen replacement.

I think you still have chance to sent to repair and have the data saved.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

3. Artemissia Cupcake Oct 10, 2018

So, it still tries to wake me up in the morning...

The notification light works for charging but I removed the sim card, and had to change passwords on pretty much everything thanks to another issue, so I guess this is why I haven't seen it working for anything but charging.
    Although it does seem weird to me now that I haven't. However I do check my notifications on other devices, so maybe that's why?
    Also, maybe the LED notification doesn't indicate anything before you entered your pattern?

Dunno.

When you say 'visited the service centre', you don't mean OP's right? cos I've pretty much accepted I'd have to send it away, but I'd be happy to visit one if possible.

Also, I know that usually for screen repairs the data doesn't get affected, but just in case. I have some irreplaceable stuff there (such an idiot :( ).
    Also, of course I replaced the glass screen protector the evening before cos fml :(

4. stark2991_PL Jelly Bean Oct 10, 2018

stark2991_PL, Oct 10, 2018 :
    In your case the service centre may replace motherboard too, if they will find it damaged by water. Also (I'm not sure about this) they may have to flash software anyway, because in many centres it's standard procedure. In that case you will get a phone without installed apps etc.

5. Artemissia Cupcake Oct 10, 2018

Thx, yeah, like I said, I got used to the idea.

How can I get the data then? Android file recovery doesn't recognize the device, I guess because I can't enter my pattern on startup.

6. stark2991_PL Jelly Bean Oct 11, 2018

stark2991_PL, Oct 11, 2018 :
    I don't know if it's possible in your situation. Maybe someone else will help you

7. Artemissia Cupcake Oct 11, 2018

Artemissia, Oct 11, 2018 :

Thanks anyway :)

8. Artemissia Cupcake Oct 11, 2018

Artemissia, Oct 11, 2018 :

1. How much did you pay for the repair? was it out of warranty?
    2. Which service centre did you visit? was it your mobile provider?

9. camohan Lollipop Moderator Oct 11, 2018

camohan, Oct 11, 2018 :
    I am from India and you does not seem to be. I had visited local service centre and it was out of warranty and they charged me. You can find out repair cost here : https://www.oneplus.in/support/repair-pricing you may have to send your device for repair as there would be no service centre in your location.

10. Artemissia Cupcake Oct 12, 2018

Artemissia, Oct 12, 2018 :
    So, the display is back on, yay!!!

I tried connecting a mouse via OTG but it doesn't respond. Any advice on that? :)

11. stark2991_PL Jelly Bean Oct 12, 2018

stark2991_PL, Oct 12, 2018 :
    Did you enable OTG in Developer Settings?

12. Artemissia Cupcake Oct 14, 2018