Dangerous Out-of-spec USB Type-C Cables

1. Rick Manders
    Community Veteran Nov 16, 2015

2. fionny
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2015

3. AndMaz
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2015

AndMaz , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Benson Leung is an engineer at Google responsible for development of Pixel C.
    Check his review of Oneplus Type-C adapter

"This is Benson again, Engineer at Google on the Chromebook Pixel and Pixel C teams.

I bought the Oneplus USB Type C Adapter directly from Oneplus on their web site instead of this reseller on Amazon.

I found that this adapter does not correctly charge the Chromebook Pixel and other Type-C devices. My analysis shows that this cable, although will charge and provide data through to the devices, does not correctly follow the USB Type C specification for power delivery identification. The Oneplus adapter advertises itself as 3A capable, but that is not appropriate because this is a legacy host port adapter.

Just as reminder, you can find the Type-C specification at usb.org under developers/usbtypec/.
    Please see the document named "USB Type-C Specification Release 1.1.pdf" section 4.5.3.2.4, which provides Figure 4-28, a circuit diagram that describes how Rp is used to identify the device as "Default USB Power" on a legacy host adapter.

Please see Section 4.11 and the following note :

1. For Rp when implemented in the USB Type-C plug on a USB Type-C to USB 3.1 Standard-A Cable
    Assembly, a USB Type-C to USB 2.0 Standard-A Cable Assembly, a USB Type-C to USB 2.0 Micro-B
    Receptacle Adapter Assembly or a USB Type-C captive cable connected to a USB host, a value of 56 kΩ
    ± 5% shall be used, in order to provide tolerance to IR drop on V BUS and GND in the cable assembly.

In other words, since you are creating a USB Type-C plug to a USB 2.0 Micro Type-B receptacle assembly, you must use a resistor of value 56kΩ. According to our testing, your cable uses a 10kΩ pull-up, which is not legal when the other end of the cable or adapter is a legacy Type-A or Type-B connector or receptacle.

By using this cable, your phone, tablet, or laptop computer may attempt to draw 3A, which may be more than the micro-b to A cable you attach to this adapter may be able to handle. This may cause damage to whatever cable, hub, pc, or charger you plug into this.

Please let me know if there is any more information I can provide about why these adapters are problematic."

More USB cable review by Benson are here

4. flobengogen
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 16, 2015

flobengogen , Nov 16, 2015 :
    People always seem to forget that oneplus two cables r designed and made for oneplus two... Voltage required pass through is alot less since opt is only usb 2 with a type c connector. *correct me if I'm wrong.

Ceasedd likes this.
  5. wmm
    KitKat Nov 16, 2015

wmm , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Thanks for posting that; that's more detail than was present in the news reports I had seen.

At a guess, they intentionally used that value because they wanted the OP2 to be able to use the adapter to charge at its maximum rate, which draws about 2 amps, if I recall correctly. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I don't know how significant this problem is for legacy cables and chargers.

6. rrsarge
    Donut Nov 16, 2015

rrsarge , Nov 16, 2015 :
    I just read that article on 9to5google.com and was about to post it on the forum, but you beat me to it.

Long story short, I'm done with these posers. For all the hype their marketing folks have generated, the people making the critical decisions have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with poor execution and engineering design choices. This OP2 I have is the last thing I'm buying from them.

And forget about recommending to anyone.

jasraja likes this.
  7. adamtore
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2015

adamtore , Nov 16, 2015 :
    It would make sense. But then why claim "future proof". Since its only 2.0

#falsemarketing

8. v.suragin
    Donut Nov 16, 2015

Krishna442 likes this.
  9. ppod
    Jelly Bean Nov 16, 2015

ppod , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Ahhhh i remember the days when every manufacturer used different chargers, fun days.

Tokolozi likes this.
  10. maniatiko
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2015

maniatiko , Nov 16, 2015 :
    And every type c phone or accessory that comes out in the future. Oneplus just stuck a type c head on the end of a micro USB connection basically.

11. bjornknoop
    Gingerbread Nov 16, 2015

12. akxyz
    Eclair Nov 16, 2015

akxyz , Nov 16, 2015 :
    lol @ flagship killer still chuckle every time I visit the main page.

13. simonlee.ca
    Honeycomb Nov 16, 2015

14. wmm
    KitKat Nov 16, 2015

wmm , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Hmm, I wonder if that's what happened to me? I was on a business trip a couple of weeks ago, using a very old iPhone charger (little white cube) that my son gave me years ago when he ended up with a spare for some reason; I kept it in my laptop bag because it was so small. I plugged in my OP2 using the OnePlus cable; everything was fine for an hour or so, and then the charger died. No smoke or fire or anything dramatic, it just wouldn't charge any more. Thankfully I had packed my OnePlus charger in my suitcase so I wasn't left without a charger for the duration of the trip. I assumed that the Apple charger just broke from normal wear and tear, basically old age, but maybe the OnePlus cable had something to do with it.

terrorjoseph likes this.
  15. wmm
    KitKat Nov 16, 2015

wmm , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Maybe me; see my preceding post. No proof, of course. It could just have been old age for the charger, as I assumed at the time...

16. mwayner
    Lollipop Nov 16, 2015

mwayner , Nov 16, 2015 :
    All this brouhaha over some perfectly fine cables. The cables can safely handle a transfer of 10A; yes, I checked, so there is nothing about them that makes them inherently unsafe for a 3A load. Again, the only danger lays in the use of improperly designed chargers with non-Oneplus devices. Such chargers, if they do indeed exist, are few and far between. Ask yourselves why a 5W wall charger from a couple years ago doesn't melt down when used to charge the OPO or OP2. Both expect a wall charger to be able to provide 2A. As I said, this "issue" is a tempest in a teapot.

17. mwayner
    Lollipop Nov 16, 2015

mwayner , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Are you implying that the cable made the OP2 request a 3A transfer from the charger? And that, somehow, killed it? Your initial assumption was the correct one.

18. wmm
    KitKat Nov 16, 2015

wmm , Nov 16, 2015 :
    I don't know what happened. This was the first business trip I had taken with the OP2 and so the first time I tried to charge it with that charger. It certainly could be coincidence that the charger died under those circumstances. I also had previously been using a thinner cable with that charger, which probably limited the current and might have protected it from faulty current limiting, so it might have died with any higher-capacity cable. Hard to make any conclusions from one data point, in any event.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

mwayner likes this.
  19. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Nov 16, 2015

Baymax , Nov 16, 2015 :
    Sorry, I posted my reply in another dupe thread. Let me quote it into here.
    ↑ this says all

20. aaziz
    Donut Nov 16, 2015

aaziz , Nov 16, 2015 :
    So is it dangerous to the OP2 to use the nexus 5X charger?