Dark Spot under display Oneplus 7 Pro

1. akks Ice Cream Sandwich May 25, 2019

akks, May 25, 2019 :
    I discovered a weird problem with my 3-day old Oneplus 7 pro. I can see a dark circular spot under the display on the top of the screen. It's very subtle and can be seen in darkness only, with screen brightness reduced to a minimum on a white screen. Not visible otherwise. I doubt if it's present in all devices, or is it with me only. As it is very subtle, It's not that bothering. Seen only in darkness when display brightness reduces to a minimum. I'm attaching photos. As it's not easily visible in the photo, I've marked the spot.

Display angle.jpg

Display angle Inked.jpg

Display.jpg

Display Inked.jpg

Sorry for the photo quality. It's not easily seen in the photo.
    Please advise if I should file a return of the device, or is it present in every device!
    Thank you

Edit (12/07/2019): A better representation of this issue is given here
    And as some of the users stated here, this may be related to DC Dimming feature or some similar software glitches only, as now on 9.5.9, it's barely visible to me. So it's less likely to be some hardware issue. Hoping for an official response from Oneplus on this.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

2. Hoello Cupcake May 25, 2019

Hoello, May 25, 2019 :
    it's most likely brightness or proximity sensor, I can see it too with certain shades of gray

akks likes this.
  3. akks Ice Cream Sandwich May 25, 2019

4. saikiran4ever Jelly Bean May 25, 2019

saikiran4ever, May 25, 2019 :
    I hope it's not a permanent issue.
    One can check if any screen abnormalities exist by running this video for sometime. This test is called grey screen test and is usually used for testing OLED screens.

5. saikiran4ever Jelly Bean May 26, 2019

saikiran4ever, May 26, 2019 :
    Now, i can see that on my mobile too... What the heck

akks likes this.
  6. saikiran4ever Jelly Bean May 26, 2019

saikiran4ever, May 26, 2019 :
    It's gone after phone's rebooted.
    Looks like there are several sensors which are under the display and are getting activated randomly.

CPU-Z app activated a proximity sensor that blinks like a light in the same position as of the dark spot you mentioned.

Abhi Dahiya likes this.
  7. Stalker1984 Donut May 31, 2019

Stalker1984, May 31, 2019 :
    Black spot in the display at low brightness immediately see photo. everything already tried. Safe mode already made in android. stain is still visible. Looks like a display error. test your displays with a display test tool. you can see it very quickly.

1559336084491.jpg

1559336142845.jpg

1559336084464.jpg

Attached Files:

8. bhaumikbheda Gingerbread May 31, 2019

9. Vanessa Teixeira Cupcake Jul 11, 2019

akks likes this.
  10. Metalmurphy Cupcake Jul 11, 2019

Metalmurphy, Jul 11, 2019 :
    Friend of mine has the exact same problem, rebooting it doesn't make it go away.

[​IMG]

Has there been any official word from OnePlus on this? How did this get past all the reviewers??

11. akks Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 11, 2019

akks, Jul 11, 2019 :
    That's a good representation image. I had the same thing! But now it isn't easily reproducible.
    Hope OnePlus team gives an answer. I've intimated them

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

12. Sai KrishnaD Gingerbread Jul 11, 2019

Sai KrishnaD, Jul 11, 2019 :
    Have you guys seen any teardown video of OnePlus 7 pro it would reveal if there any sensors underneath

13. Sai KrishnaD Gingerbread Jul 11, 2019

Sai KrishnaD, Jul 11, 2019 :
    At which spot do you guys see the spot?. there are many holes on top of the screen for sensors or I don't know what
    1562866134022.jpg

14. Discostu Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2019

Discostu, Jul 12, 2019 :
    Looks like it could actually be an issue with your display rather than an under-screen sensor.

Out of interest, do you play any games that has a button or icon in roughly that spot which stays on screen either all the time or for long periods of time? I am thinking this looks a bit like screen burn-in

15. G_S_G Eclair Jul 12, 2019

G_S_G, Jul 12, 2019 :
    It's not just their display, I also have the same thing on my display(Exact same size, shape, and spot on screen). I'm always looking at my phone, and mostly in low brightness, so I'm pretty sure this issue popped up for me with the last update. I uploaded a screenshot of a gray background, hopefully it shows properly. I've also read on Google that it's been acknowledged by OnePlus and they're saying it's related to DC Dimming. I had that turned on, and just turned it off. I'll keep and eye on this thread for updates.

Attached Files:

Vanessa Teixeira likes this.
  16. karthik oneplus Honeycomb Jul 12, 2019

karthik oneplus, Jul 12, 2019 :
    OMG it looks pathetic. Show it with service center and let you know.

17. Vanessa Teixeira Cupcake Jul 12, 2019

Vanessa Teixeira, Jul 12, 2019 :

G_S_G

It's not just their display, I also have the same thing on my display(Exact same size, shape, and spot on screen). I'm always looking at my phone, and mostly in low brightness, so I'm pretty sure this issue popped up for me with the last update. I uploaded a screenshot of a gray background, hopefully it shows properly. I've also read on Google that it's been acknowledged by OnePlus and they're saying it's related to DC Dimming. I had that turned on, and just turned it off. I'll keep and eye on this thread for updates.​

Well, in my case I think that happened after I turned on the DC Dimming. I'll turn off it too.

18. akks Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2019

akks, Jul 12, 2019 :
    its exactly seen as in the image shown two posts above you. if you open WhatsApp, above and right to that status tab.

19. akks Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2019

akks, Jul 12, 2019 :
    no. no games at all

20. akks Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2019

akks, Jul 12, 2019 :
    my dc dimming had been always switched on. but now that issue isn't seen for me. still, for safety, I turned off dc dimming now.

Vanessa Teixeira likes this.