Dash Charge source code not released

1. jerrymilton
    Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2016

jerrymilton , Jun 20, 2016 :
    please do all of the folks on the forum that tire of the constant moaning and return it and move along.

shamil, AzuriaN, mceman and 2 others like this.
  2. Keshiji
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

Keshiji , Jun 20, 2016 :
    You can't blame them tho. Specially if OnePlus already knows and has acknowledged the developer community plays a hugely important role in their devices and it's one of its best features. Samsung and HTC ain't like that as their focus is somewhere else.

But I'm sure this will be sorted sooner or later. Just don't blame those who expected a "sooner" answer.

Kumelenator and Dattack like this.
  3. cezarvrabie
    Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2016

cezarvrabie , Jun 20, 2016 :
    This is the only thing I truly don't like about the OP3. The rest is awesome. I'm going to get this phone very soon. I just wanted them to make it that little bit better.

4. Mythblaze
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

Mythblaze , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Why would they release the source code for anyone to use? That does not make sense from a business or profit aspect. The DASH charge from what I've seen works better than quick charge. You are essentially asking for OnePlus/OPPO to give away their developed technology.

5. Mythblaze
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

Mythblaze , Jun 20, 2016 :
    It will get better over time with software updates just as the OP2.

6. pushpak jain
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2016

7. njain2686
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

njain2686 , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Expect people to continue moaning on each and every custom rom thread of OP3, just like they did with OP 2 for FP.

Dattack likes this.
  8. samnaction
    Cupcake Jun 20, 2016

9. inffy
    KitKat Jun 20, 2016

inffy , Jun 20, 2016 :
    That topic is completley false.

Of course the app shows it is not spec compliant as it only checks it to show with USB-C spec

As it's a dash charging cable it won't be spec compliant with USB-C. It doesn't mean it will harm your device as there are circuits in the cable and the connector.

gaster likes this.
  10. Konskla
    Froyo Jun 20, 2016

Konskla , Jun 20, 2016 :
    I wish people understood the importance. My previous phone was a note 4 with all the issues that exynos chipsets come when it comes to developing due to violations of gpl and now oneplus as well ? Really it feels like nexus phones are the only choice. Too bad oneplus cause i really liked the phone. I hope at least the topic gets some publicity. Maybe they will at least clarify upon this.

11. Hassan_Abdul
    KitKat Jun 20, 2016

Hassan_Abdul , Jun 20, 2016 :
    ;-) I do not have any problems with FP as I clean the display every five minutes ;-)

12. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2016

jak , Jun 20, 2016 :
    They did not release the tree they actually used, but another one. That's like pretending to be your brother. Now, they actually do not have to release the tree here - they can also provide it on request to those who received the phone and/or downloaded a kernel image from them. In any case, they have to provide a written offer valid for at least 3 years (GPL 2, section 3B) if they do not ship the source with the binary. The One missed this offer, and was thus theoretically not GPL compliant (practically it did not matter much, though).

What I want to say is: If you received the phone, and ask them for the source code, they must provide it (and you can share it). If you don't have the phone, you have no right to the full source code.

dr.anel likes this.
  13. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2016

jak , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Now this thing is probably a bit delicate because the driver has an oppo header and they don't want you to know that Dash Charge is actually VOOC...

14. inffy
    KitKat Jun 20, 2016

inffy , Jun 20, 2016 :
    The kernel sources are delivered, they are on the github page as you know.

They don't have to provide all source codes, but they will propably just give you the binary for the driver

Kumelenator and rarog like this.
  15. NisseCool
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

16. Durzel
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

Durzel , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Because without the ability to flash custom ROMs OP3 (and OnePlus phones in general) start to look a lot less attractive - or in this case a core feature being unavailable to custom ROMs.

OnePlus don't make money from Oxygen OS, they do make money from customers buying into an ethos that their phone is open and unencumbered.

17. inffy
    KitKat Jun 20, 2016

inffy , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Sorry but you can still flash custom roms. Nothing is stopping that.

Read the Github link: https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_msm8996/issues/1

It's clearly stated there that they are working on it. Normally you wouldn't even have custom roms at this point (under week from the launch).

rarog likes this.
  18. Eeroz
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

Eeroz , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Yes, you can flash it. But they made DASH charging a key selling point, which means that you're flashing a crippled ROM.

Good to hear that they're aware of the issue and are actively working on it.

Durzel likes this.
  19. Durzel
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

Durzel , Jun 20, 2016 :
    I wasn't saying you couldn't flash custom ROMs, only that - as the guy above me said - why would anyone consider it when a core feature would be missing, especially when the battery is smaller and OP's answer is "you can just Dash Charge"?

Anyway, looks like it'll come eventually - so hopefully it won't be too long since phones are already in peoples hands. Bit worrying that this wasn't in place for launch.

Eeroz likes this.
  20. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jun 20, 2016

dsmonteiro , Jun 20, 2016 :
    AFAIK, only the kernel is licensed under GPLv2. Android AOSP code is licensed under Apache 2.0, meaning that derivative work, like OxygenOS, can be distributed under a different license. I also don't see anything that makes this statement true:

"If you received the phone, and ask them for the source code, they must provide it"

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016

otto2 and rarog like this.