Dash Charger Tingy sound

1. Sobakel
    Gingerbread Jun 30, 2016

Sobakel , Jun 30, 2016 :
    Yes, the sound continues without the phone connected and even without the cable connected to the charger itself

2. Kaaylim
    Honeycomb Jun 30, 2016

Kaaylim , Jun 30, 2016 :
    But that's what I mean, I can hear mine ONLY when the phone is NOT connected

3. alexferdean
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 30, 2016

alexferdean , Jun 30, 2016 :
    I'll ask a friend who is an electrician, but as far as I know, it's no issue. I think you guys are sending back perfectly normal chargers.

Kaaylim likes this.
  4. Grizzle_34
    Froyo Jun 30, 2016

Grizzle_34 , Jun 30, 2016 :
    Most power conversion devices contains coils, such as transformers or inductors. These components use electromagnetism to convert AC mains power to low-voltage DC power. The varying magnetic fields generated by these components can cause them to physically vibrate at high frequency, resulting in a high-pitched noise.

Most modern AC adapters are switched-mode power supplies. The internal switching frequency of an SMPS is typically low when unloaded and increases with load up to a certain point depending on the design. The no-load frequency is often low enough to be within the human hearing range. In addition, in low or no-load situations, the PWM used to regulate voltage at the inverter stage will be at a low duty cycle creating a "spikey" output profile which is more prone to causing vibration in coils, and the transformer itself will tend to vibrate as well . Together, these can lead to audible noise especially in cheaper units which fail to suppress this noise.

Under load, a properly functioning SMPS should operate at a frequency well above the human hearing range, typically 50 kHz or higher (although some older designs operate at 33 kHz). However, the same noise can occur under load with a poorly designed or defective power supply as the coils may vibrate under electrical stress at a subharmonic frequency.

Coils used as inductors or transformers in other electronic devices, including those on motherboards, graphics cards, or other computer components, can also vibrate during operation. As such, a defective device can generate audible coil whine during operation.

The Noise is perfectly normal, my Charger makes the whine while not under load, as soon as its plugged into my device the noise goes.

5. Sobakel
    Gingerbread Jun 30, 2016

Sobakel , Jun 30, 2016 :
    But what if the noise continues even with the phone plugged in?

Its a lower pitch without it being connected, like a very soft slow vibration, when plugged its a high pitch

6. kaghedo
    Jelly Bean Jun 30, 2016

kaghedo , Jun 30, 2016 :
    No sound whatsoever :)

7. Nudelholz
    Gingerbread Jun 30, 2016

Nudelholz , Jun 30, 2016 :
    For some reason my OPO original charger starts making noise as soon as the phone is full. When I'm in bed I can actually tell exactly when my phone is charged because I hear it.

It got so annoying that I charged my phone at the other side of the room from where I'm sleeping.

My OP3 charger does make the same sound as described in the original post.

MrPuma likes this.
  8. Nudelholz
    Gingerbread Jun 30, 2016

Nudelholz , Jun 30, 2016 :
    It's so annoying that I stopped charging my OP3 at night. That's also a way to get people to make full use of dash charging, I think. o_O

9. MrPuma
    Honeycomb Jun 30, 2016

MrPuma , Jun 30, 2016 :
    Can agree on both. I have my OPO charger right beside the OP3 charger at the moment.
    No phones on it. Both make sounds.
    The OPOs charger is louder though.
    So...its an improvement right? Haha

10. Sobakel
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2016

Sobakel , Jul 1, 2016 :
    The values stayed between these numbers, but this might be driving me crazy because its like the sound is going lower in pitch these days.

Plugged into wall = vibration sound
    Plugged into phone = high pitch humming sound

11. Hassan_Abdul
    KitKat Jul 1, 2016

Hassan_Abdul , Jul 1, 2016 :
    i have this with two or three other chargers as well. Most of them are slow charging for hours. The charger for my e-cig normally charges 2 batteries at about 1A each for four hours (more or less) with making a loud and ugly noise which is really disturbing, with four batteries at about 0,5A about eight hours(with this loud noise)

but charging the oneplus threefor less than an hour would not disturb me (if I had this noise)

But the problem is that people indeed do react different on noise, so if it disturbes you, you are right to try it with a replacement

I have strange ears, noises other people do not hear, can make me unhappy or disturb me while other people get mad about noises or feeling disturbed etc but I can more or less ignore them and I found out that it has not always to do with the loudness and sometimes the same noise can be uncomfortable just because of their loudness

Accustics ...

MrPuma likes this.
  12. MrPuma
    Honeycomb Jul 1, 2016

MrPuma , Jul 1, 2016 :
    Hmm sounds weird.
    But one good thing. You now know that you don't damage your phone.
    You tried to plug in the charger in different places of the house? Just curious if this maybe changes something.
    Otherwise I would really say that there is something wrong with the charger if it is really that loud.

13. Sandeepreddy0021
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2016

Sandeepreddy0021 , Jul 1, 2016 :
    Okay i been using the phone for exactly 11 days and i love it :)(my first android phone).. however i found two issues not major but concerned that it might be a problem in future. I never seen anybody stating these issueso_O

1) when i keep for charging, the back of the phone kinda vibrates wen i run my fingers on it and this is only when its on low to medium battery level. when its high it doesn't vibrate or tickle. kinda feels like a vibrator:p. Should i been concerned with this?

2) Phone manages heat issues really good but sometimes without using the phone it gets heated up:confused:, i can feel the heat raising immediately in my pocket to high:eek:(to be exact it got heated up 4-5 times in the 11 day span). I cool it down through CM master app (cools down the CPU heat). i tried restricting the background apps from running but i still see it gets heated up. Wat am i doing to get my phone heated up without usage:eek::eek:

14. rajeshrlstn
    Eclair Jul 1, 2016

Sobakel likes this.
  15. Kar Ming
    Froyo Jul 1, 2016

Kar Ming , Jul 1, 2016 :
    My dash charger has the same "tingy" noise... just submitted a ticket to see what they say !!

16. Kar Ming
    Froyo Jul 1, 2016

17. drkpie
    Froyo Jul 1, 2016

drkpie , Jul 1, 2016 :
    Idk, can't hear anything. My PC's liquid cooler fans are loud enough to cover it if it's there anyway.

18. dr.anel
    Gingerbread Jul 2, 2016

dr.anel , Jul 2, 2016 :
    this made my day.

Sobakel likes this.
  19. Kareem Hussaini
    Froyo Jul 2, 2016

Kareem Hussaini , Jul 2, 2016 :
    It's the super fast fingerprint sensor. To be able to be called the fastest sensor ever, it has to be always on. When you keep it in your pocket, it's constantly scanning your thigh, lol. That's why you might notice a drop of 10 to 15 percent in battery when the phone is in your pocket, compared to 2 to 4 percent drop at night. This problem has been discussed here and brought to Oneplus's notice. Hopefully, they'll have a fix for it in the next OTAs.

Sabbir.Naim and Sandeepreddy0021 like this.
  20. MafiaTechTeam
    Jelly Bean Jul 2, 2016

MafiaTechTeam , Jul 2, 2016 :
    coil whine affectsall electronics mainly being power supplys, and graphics cards, its not harmful at all, just uncomfortable