Dash charging issue? Mild shocks when using the phone whilst charging.

1. avEmonstaa
    Eclair Jun 29, 2016

avEmonstaa , Jun 29, 2016 :
    Hey there OnePlus forum peeps!

I was wondering if i am the only one so far to experience this issue?

Whenever i hold the phone while charging, i get a mild vibrating shock and its really worrying. It started right after day one of receiving the device and occurs 2-3 times throughout the day. I have stopped doing so and resorted to using my laptop in bed to reply to messages/emails.

Is this a fault in the device? From what i've seen on Reddit it seems to be a grounding issue much like on the OnePlus 2.

What can i do? Sometimes the shock causes me to let go of the phone instantly. Anyone with a solution or clue?

2. Grizzle_34
    Froyo Jun 29, 2016

3. avEmonstaa
    Eclair Jun 29, 2016

avEmonstaa , Jun 29, 2016 :
    earth grounding issue? :O

4. PLPeeters
    KitKat Jun 29, 2016

PLPeeters , Jun 29, 2016 :
    The charger isn't earthed, so I'm guessing that's the reason. I get the same vibrating feeling on my MacBook if I plug it in with the short cable that isn't earthed either.

Rakshit_Patil likes this.
  5. saikiran4ever
    Jelly Bean Jun 29, 2016

saikiran4ever , Jun 29, 2016 :
    I don't think it's a grounding issue. I faced this while i was charging it in my office. And.. Surprisingly when connected through usb too.

6. dandypeter
    Gingerbread Jun 29, 2016

dandypeter , Jun 29, 2016 :
    I noticed a little shock the other day. Might have been a splinter, so I thought I'd find a voltmeter and try it sometime. Haven't yet.

Seems to be when touching the bottom and side, specifically the screw at the bottom, but not exclusively. If someone has a meter, could you try to find voltages across various points on the body?

This might just be par for the course with a metal body.

1+3 -1 for metal body that shocks you for fun. -1 for rounded glass corners that make it difficult to cover the screen with a screen protector. -1 for camera bump that pretty much forces you to use a case and then using the shocking metal body that has to be covered all the time as a selling point.

Rakshit_Patil likes this.
  7. saikiran4ever
    Jelly Bean Jul 7, 2016

8. drkpie
    Froyo Jul 7, 2016

drkpie , Jul 7, 2016 :
    That should definitely not happen. A few users on here have reported it and they usually RMA'd it.

9. crysen
    Gingerbread Jul 7, 2016

10. Carl
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 7, 2016

Carl , Jul 7, 2016 :
    This is safe and common occurrence when charging metal unibody products. Different people might experience the sensation differently. To verify, you can Google for "electric shock macbook".

11. rbagdai
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Jul 7, 2016

rbagdai , Jul 7, 2016 :
    Yes, this is quite true. I do experience tiny shocks while charging my macbook as well. I have done a fair amount of research, this is a common phenomenon with all metal unibody gadgets.

Rakshit_Patil and Matoja like this.
  12. OPFanBoyTillEnd
    Honeycomb Jul 7, 2016

OPFanBoyTillEnd , Jul 7, 2016 :
    Happy to read this. You may tell that to CS that told me it was a defect, first time they've heard of it, and wanted me to RMA it. Thanks!

13. sildenafil
    Froyo Sep 5, 2016

sildenafil , Sep 5, 2016 :
    I was also getting similar tingling sensation while charging the phone. Just wanted to know whether you have returned your op3

14. MISS DIVA
    Cupcake Sep 5, 2016

MISS DIVA , Sep 5, 2016 :
    Glad I found this thread, I got my phone a few days ago and have felt a slight tingling sensation (not a shock) on my fingertips. I must confess, I did have a "what on earth is going on" moment ⚡⚡

I've never had a mental backed phone before so this type of odd behaviour from a device is new to me.

15. mud4ss4r
    Honeycomb Sep 5, 2016

16. Paulemmanuel
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2016

Paulemmanuel , Sep 16, 2016 :
    The issues in macbook was in 2009,2010etc, i.e 6 years back and was definitely a manufacturing issue. And by using adapter with earth pin apple solved the issue. @Carl what have you done.

17. Paulemmanuel
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2016

Then why don't all units have this?

18. Paulemmanuel
    Cupcake Sep 16, 2016

@Carl
    When the phone is being charged by the provided dash charger a tingly or buzzing feeling is present. This is predominant when the phone is kept on a table and felt gently (on the back where metal is present) in a brushing or combing manner by finger. Later i came to understand that it was due to earth leakage of the device .

I did some research my self and consulted an electrical engineer, a friend of mine, and came to know that the problem is with the device's earthing. Some how current is being leaked to the case.

At best I'll get a shock and at worse a motor neuron disease

The service centre guys, behaved very indecently towards me.Although eventually they replaced the adapter, the problem remains the same.Now they are saying that the problem is with my skin not with the phone. When i tried to show them what the problem was they insulted me in front of other customers present there. It was a very bad experience.

Note: I tried different sockets of different buildings. Also asked my family members and friends who confirms the mild shock.

19. riffraff81
    KitKat Sep 16, 2016

AhmedZunaid likes this.
  20. rbagdai
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Sep 16, 2016

rbagdai , Sep 16, 2016 :
    According to me, it's quite random. Happens with certain devices, sometimes.