Other Data recover with broken screen

1. jack_the_beast
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2020

jack_the_beast , Jun 25, 2020 :
    Hi all, yesterday my beloved 3T fell and the screen cracked :(
    At first half of it was still usable and visible, shame on me for not recovering the data I needed at that time. now the upper bottom is still usable but completely black, also the battery died without me noticing so it turned off.

Now I'm stuck with the following situation: phone is turned on, but the pin is preventing me from logging in (I can't type the pin blindly as the bottom half of the screen doesn't get touch inputs), the pc doesn't recognize the phone beyond the driver "disk", so sending commands via adb it's not an option.

Next thing I'm trying is to go into recovery and try access adb from there, but I don't remember anything about the recovery so I'll have to do some research.

I'll later try an otg cable and connect mouse/keyboard as a last resort.

I'm running out of ideas, so if anyone has any idea on how to recover files (don't care about contacts and stuff) from the phone is more than welcome.

2. jack_the_beast
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2020

jack_the_beast , Jun 25, 2020 :
    UPDATE: I tried booting in recovery mode with volume down+power and I think it got booted in recovery, but I don't remember If I can use the buttons to navigate it. I pressed volume down 3 times to move to english, pressed power to select english, pressed power to select "install from adb", pressed power to select "Ok". at this point I expected the phone to be visible (assuming everything is set up correctly on the pc) when running "adb devices" on cmd, but it doesn't. can anyone confirm that these steps are correct?

3. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 29, 2020

keithgpowell , via OnePlus Community App , Jun 29, 2020 :
    Yes, you made a mistake. You ended up in "install from internal storage". After selecting English ,you need to press volume down once then power to get to ADB. Good luck!

4. jack_the_beast
    Cupcake Jun 30, 2020

jack_the_beast , Jun 30, 2020 :
    I tried but I don't see anything when I connect it to the pc. unfortunately I've no idea if the phone even booted cause I don't even see the screen backlight anymore and I don't have any feedback with vibration or anything. Any advice on how to be sure I'm giving the right commands? otherwise I'll just surrender

5. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 30, 2020

keithgpowell , via OnePlus Community App , Jun 30, 2020 :

jack_the_beast

I tried but I don't see anything when I connect it to the pc. unfortunately I've no idea if the phone even booted cause I don't even see the screen backlight anymore and I don't have any feedback with vibration or anything. Any advice on how to be sure I'm giving the right commands? otherwise I'll just surrender​

1. Did you have a protective case fitted? 2. In either case, remove the case. 3. Plug into your dash charger and note 3. The notification LED should momentarily turn on as red, then to blue continually untill fully charged then green. 4. Did you see anything on the screen?

6. jack_the_beast
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2020

jack_the_beast , Jul 1, 2020 :
    yes, the notification LED behave as expected, I do not see anything on the screen, full black. I think my only feedback are the white LEDs under the physical back and tasks buttons (on the sides of the fingerprint reader)

7. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 1, 2020

keithgpowell , via OnePlus 3T , Jul 1, 2020 :
    Re: ADB
    To connect via USB to your PC for ADB, in your phone settings you would have already to have enabled Developer Options and then USB Debugging?
    Otherwise, you would get no response to ADB enquiries.

8. jack_the_beast
    Cupcake Jul 2, 2020

jack_the_beast , Jul 2, 2020 :
    it was enabled, but since I cannot enter the initial PIN usb debugging is not starting. But it should work in recovery

9. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 4, 2020 at 4:51 PM

keithgpowell , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 4, 2020 at 4:51 PM :
    If you continuosly hold down the power button, it should continuouslycycle through turn on(vibrate and LEDs,back and recents, turn on) briefly then turn off etc. If you immediately remove finger when leds turn on, it should then continue to a full boot up? We may be able to get somwhere from there?

10. jack_the_beast
    Cupcake Jul 7, 2020 at 3:44 PM

jack_the_beast , Jul 7, 2020 at 3:44 PM :
    it does that, I guess it boots up but what's the point of that? since I can't input any command while staying on the "enter pin" screen

11. keithgpowell
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 7, 2020 at 5:09 PM

keithgpowell , via OnePlus 3T , Jul 7, 2020 at 5:09 PM :
    This was to get you into a recognisable state, because earlier post 30/6/2020, you said you didn't no where you were at.

I would now check to see for sure if screen is touch unresponsive/resposive, by drawing a V gesture in top half of screen and repeat . The torch would normally turn on and off. Now try in the bottom half.

If the bottom half is responsive, you should ask Google Assistant for the time. If that's ok, ask Assistant to get Gmail.
    I should respond with you need to enter your PIN - it will now bring up the numeric keypad,(obviously you can't see it), but looking at smudges on the screen enter pin???? If this doesn't work,try the keyboard via OTG? If this does not work, I think not all is lost. Two options:-
    1. Replace the screen and digitiser for about £20 plus tools if necessary and some double sided tape if necessary. There are some excellent guides on the web and YouTube - I did this, the screen is LCD. OLED is much more expensive
    2. If you had set it up on your phone, much/all your data would be stored in the Google cloud under your account. So if you buy another Android phone, it should be offered to install it under that account onto your new phone?