Data recovery from OnePlus 9 pro after factory reset

1. Alexenius2
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2021

Alexenius2 , Nov 26, 2021 :
    I've got an update of the system v. 11.2.10. After update process my phone can't boot and stacked on the page of choosing recovery mode, fastboot and etc. I tried to reboot it multiple time, removed the caches but the result was same.

I chose and option to reset only applications without removing my personal files, but for some reason it was removed all my personal data as well.

Currently I am trying to restore my files but all applications seems like require a root access.( I've tried all this apps https://www.stillbonarticles.com/best-android-data-recovery-software/)

I will appreciate, if someone can suggest me an file restore option. I don't want to get root access

2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 26, 2021

Best Answer
    Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 9 Pro Morning Mist , Nov 26, 2021 :
    When it wiped everything you also needed to set everything up again? It's not just wiped but it also encrypted storage again. A regular undelete would only work if not encrypted or if you just accidently deleted a few files. Not wiped the whole phone.

Most apps I can read about avoids talking about encryption. Or show samples of phones that did not have forced encryption. Most probably because they can't do anything when the phone is encrypted.

A user comment on one such tool.

"It is not necessarily true that you can recover deleted data. In the case of new Samsung devices it is not possible to do it after factory reset because the newer devices use FBE (File-Based-Encryption) which means: once a file is deleted, you can longer recover it unless you have a specific token (which you never do, because it's deleted). A standard recovery tool will not help in this case, you will need much more powerful tools. "

3. Swejuggalo

4. Alexenius2
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2021

I was on 11.2.9.9. I am not sure that is open beta or not. I only get usual updates.
    After reset phone still on that version - 11.2.9.9

5. Swejuggalo

11.2.9.9 is last stable.
    Most often recovering files is very hard since they were inside a encrypted storage.
    While it has not happened for me ever, upgrading could potentially go bad. This is where backups of your important content is good to have. You can't normally restore stuff after wiping a phone. This is also kind of the point. Otherwise stealing phones, wiping them and then restore files that could possibly be harmful in other people hands would be easy for everyone.

6. Alexenius2
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2021

Got it, thanks. Anyway, I wonder to know if I root the phone and try again with backup apps, will they find my files (currently they not showing my deleted files) ? I want to know will it worth the time which I am going to spend on it. In case of it possible to recover files, in 50-60 percent I will do that.

I thought that, recovering either encrypted or non-encrypted storage are the same in case of you have access to that storage. But I am not sure how wiping works for encrypted ones.

7. Alexenius2
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2021

Yes I needed to set up everything again. Seems like it's not possible to recover my data and I haven't any chances to do that :( My case is much more complicated than I thought. It didn't even come to mind that phone was encrypted my data and everything else. I thought that phone lock or other security features only was working on os level without any under the hood encryption processes.

Nevertheless, thank you so much for you help. I might try root and waste a lot of time on this but, hopefully your point put me on the right way and I know that is not possible.

8. Alexenius2
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2021

Also for me still not clear by phone removed personal files if I only tried to reset the system applications. Does it related with new update bug or no ?

9. Swejuggalo

Don't really know how it happened. Corruption or whatever it was the root problem to begin with.
    I never used that option in recovery myself.

Was it the top option?
    1637964056574.jpg

10. Alexenius2
    Cupcake Dec 2, 2021

Alexenius2 , Dec 2, 2021 :
    Yes I have chose 1st option from the list - Reset System settings only