[DAY 8] Looking back at 8 years of Never Settle

1. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Dec 1, 2021

Daniel D. , Dec 1, 2021 :
    A couple of weeks ago, Jade, from the Industrial Design Team, shared with us several sketches of OnePlus products throughout the years. How time flies. I can’t believe we are just a few days away from our 8th anniversary. As part of the celebrations, we would like to reveal these sketches one by one in the following days and invite you to join this journey of Never Settle.

Day 1: Any luck getting an invite code?

OP1 1.png
    Do you remember your first memory of a OnePlus product? For me, a fan of Star Wars, that would be the OnePlus 5T limited edition launch. For @dsmonteiro, a friend that's been around for nearly 8 years, definitely is the invite code. Here’s the very first invite email he received;

OP1.jpg

@antidanis, another Community friend, also shared the screenshot of his original invite e-mail. It seems like his OnePlus One stood the test of time.
    Image_20211201184157.png

I'm sure the invitation system brings back a lot of memories – funny and unforgettable moments, stories of how you bonded with like-minded friends, and how you came to be part of this Community. We invite you to share your OnePlus One and invite system stories. Do you still have a screenshot of your first invite? Share it in this thread! Let’s throwback together to the very beginning of Never Settle!

2. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Dec 2, 2021

Stickied Post
    Daniel D. , Dec 2, 2021 :
    Day 2: Recording Your Best Shot

Image_20211203020602.png

If we speak about the OnePlus 9 Series, what comes to your mind? I’m sure the Hasselblad Camera is high up there. This year, our partnership with Hasselblad led to many firsts – we built lunarland with Hasselblad, launched XPAN mode, invited Hasselblad Ambassadors to record and share the natural beauty of life with OnePlus 9 Series, invited Hasselblad Masters to host Community-exclusive Photography Workshops…

We also had a fair share of Photography events – we launched OnePlus Photography Awards 2021, we brought back Offline Photowalks in Frankfurt and New York, and received tremendous stories and moments captured by our users.

Every photo tells a story, and every story is worth sharing.

For the second day in this thread, we invite you, our talented community friends, to share your best shot with OnePlus, whether that is with the OnePlus 9 Series or any other OnePlus device!

3. Zeta.Z
    OnePlus Branding Manager Staff Member Dec 3, 2021

Stickied Post
    Zeta.Z , Dec 3, 2021 :
    Day 3: Friends with Never Settle Attitude
    5T.jpg

Let’s revisit the OnePlus 5T today.

You might not know this, but when we designed the OnePlus 5T, we initially placed the fingerprint sensor on its front. We made prototypes with the fingerprint sensor on the front and on the back and placed all of them on a table. After testing each of the prototypes, Pete insisted that the fingerprint sensor had to be placed on the back because this would result in a better user experience.

Everyone thought that the R&D team, would be mad about this decision, but they gladly accepted it, because they also believed it was the right decision. For those that still need convincing, @Pete asked them to turn on the screen and check the effect, and this time they understood Pete's thoughts. Everyone agreed that the increased screen-to-body ratio made the user experience so much more immersive.

This is also the generation that partnered with my favorite film series.

When I was a little kid, I was really obsessed with sci-fi, especially the stories of the brave Tatooine farm boy. I believed in the dreamy and fancy galaxy world built by George Lucas, and kept waiting for my R2-D2.

OnePlus had co-branded with countless Never Settle friends from different industries, brought tremendous and imaginative works, and unlocked more potential in the ways of collaboration.

What’s your favorite OnePlus partnership in the past 8 years? Please share below and we are eager to know the stories behind that.

4. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Dec 5, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Dec 5, 2021 :
    The countdown took a little break during the weekend and will resume tomorrow! In the meantime, we want to ask:

What OnePlus device was the most important to you in these 8 years, and why?

5. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Dec 6, 2021

Stickied Post
    Daniel D. , Dec 6, 2021 :
    Day 4: A camera that stands out

6.png

There are OnePlus devices that are instantly recognizable – and the OnePlus 7T is definitely one of them. The centered, round camera was a clear departure from OnePlus 7 Series more understand camera module design. The result is one of, if not the most unmistakable OnePlus smartphone to date.

The design, as in every radical design shift, was polarizing. While some, like @rocketsql, seemed to love the approach,
    MicrosoftTeams-image (50).png

others, like @Codes codger, were quick to call it ugly.
    MicrosoftTeams-image (51).png

What about you? Are you team round camera module? Or do you prefer an entirely different design? Let us know in the comments, we can't to hear your thoughts!

6. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Dec 7, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Dec 7, 2021 :
    Day 5: Speed in all its forms

OP 8-1.jpg

We often talk about speed – the OS, charging, high refresh rate, 5G. Well, the OnePlus 8 Series has it all. This was also a set of devices filled with many firsts: It was our first full 5G lineup, our first 120 Hz display, and it was also the first time we extended our Warp Charge technology to wireless charging, on the 8 Pro.

But what captured my attention on this device was something else entirely: one of its CMF (Color, Material, Finish).

OP-3.jpg

I've always been a sucker for frosted glass finish, with its not-metal-but-kinda-feels-like-it vibe, so you'd think my preference would go to the Glacial Green or Ultramarine Blue finishes. While those two are beautiful in their own way, but one other finish was the one that caught my eye: Interstellar Glow.
    OP 8-2.jpg

There was just something about its many colors that made this finish one of my all-time favorites. While I eventually turned to the OnePlus 8 Pro for its better specs, I always thought 'what if...'.

CMFs are always something I look forward to with each release. The colors, the materials, the finish, all combined for an experience that is the sum of its parts. There have been many different ones across the years. So, I ask, what's your all-time favorite CMF? Pick a winner and tell us why!

7. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Dec 8, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Dec 8, 2021 :
    Day 6: Imagine a pop-up camera?

7 Pro.jpg

It now seems a distant past, but there was a time, not that long ago, when almost 30% of the front of a phone was NOT occupied by screen. Then, the fingerprint sensor moved to the back, freeing up space for taller screens. The notch was next in line, for even better screen-to-body ratios. But before the punch-hole camera became a familiar name, OnePlus tried a different, radical approach – the pop-up camera.

With the OnePlus 7 Pro, the camera was hidden from view, tucked away behind the screen, waiting to be called to action. The result was a totally unobstructed screen experience. Pop-up cameras weren't without downsides, though, While thoroughly tested to ensure they endure a lot, moving parts always have a higher than zero chance of failing. What's more, it also made it harder to ensure no water would enter the device.

In the end, despite being a loved feature by many, the compromises were too big for our Never Settle, leading to the rise of the punch-hole camera, immediately-available cameras, and water-resistant phones.

As we remember pop-up front cameras, it only makes sense to ask: How important are selfies to you? Do you look forward to new technologies, like under-display front cameras?

8. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Dec 9, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Dec 9, 2021 :
    Day 7: A notch above the rest

6.jpg

Yesterday I talked about the OnePlus 7 Pro's pop-up camera and the rise of punch-hole cameras, but before all of that, there were... notches. Yes, the screen cutouts for camera modules, sensors, and speaker grills were a thing for a couple of generations, from the OnePlus 6 all the way to the OnePlus 7T.

As other technologies matured, notches were a vital stepping stone in the journey to bigger displays and better screen-to-body ratios. They helped increase the screen real-estate so that more information could be at our disposal. Comparing the OnePlus 6 with the similarly-sized OnePlus One, there is a considerable increase in screen size, from 5.5" diagonally to 6.3".

With that in mind, I ask: How important is your phone's display these days? Do you see your phone as your primary source of entertainment?

9. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Dec 10, 2021

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Dec 10, 2021 :
    Day 8: That's so metal
    3.jpg

When the One first launched, OnePlus was achieved the impossible... make plastic sexy. The Sandstone finish became a trademark for OnePlus and helped turn a material usually associated with cheap products into something premium. The OnePlus 2 explored different materials for its back and the OnePlus X was the brand's first exploration of glass for the phone's back.

The OnePlus 3, however, brought something entirely new – a unibody metal frame. Available in Graphite and later in Soft Gold, the OnePlus 3 had a premium feel that previous devices from the brand couldn't even dream of. The unibody helped trim OnePlus 2's body while keeping the screen size, it was just a great phone to hold.

The OnePlus 3 concludes our journey through 8 years of OnePlus. Aside from the devices mentioned in this thread, is there any OnePlus device of special significance to you? Tell us its story!

10. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Writers' Club Dec 1, 2021

YRJ , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Unfortunately, I didn't get an invite for the OnePlus one but I did have the pleasure of being invited to Orbit, does that count? :D

11. BeingIncog
    Nougat Dec 1, 2021

BeingIncog , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Don't have OnePlus ONE, for me invite system was way to make new friends, by sharing invites to unknown people (they became friends later).

upload_2021-12-1_17-54-24.png
    Screenshot_20211201-180809__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-180730__01__01.jpg

@Parvm95 is one of them! :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021

13. psygarden
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Dec 1, 2021

14. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Dec 1, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Dec 1, 2021 :
    The only invite codes I've got, were for the UT Backpack and OP Nord 2 Pacman edition :D

That's a well crafted email ngl...congrats @dsmonteiro :p (not that late, am I?)

15. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Dec 1, 2021

16. SRD.
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Dec 1, 2021

SRD. , Dec 1, 2021 :
    I was looking for one but didn't manage to get one. I had to wait for 6 years to get my 7T.

17. Overzee
    Junior Moderator, The Showcase Reviewer Junior Moderator Dec 1, 2021

Overzee , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Yes Sir, received my invite in November, 2014. :cool:
    Schermafbeelding 2021-12-01 om 13.21.43.png

18. drmartin
    Moderator Moderator Dec 1, 2021

drmartin , Dec 1, 2021 :
    You missed out. One of the happiest days of my life. :)

19. HarshKK14
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 1, 2021

20. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Dec 1, 2021

Dhruv Kashyap , via OnePlus 9R , Dec 1, 2021 :
    OnePlus One was a legend, however I was enjoying my Android One Device around that time.
    I was definitely pleased to be among the Top 100 Users invited to our latest community application Orbit, and I liked it very much💫✨😄

21. kouzelnik3

kouzelnik3 , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Don't have oneplus one, only oneplus 6, but oneplus is still great company, but I am sad that their affordable mark is no more. Every flagship released means more and more expensive by high amount of money.

22. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Dec 1, 2021

dsmonteiro , Dec 1, 2021 :
    I was one of the lucky ones. My invite came in even before the device was out. Others weren't so lucky and had to join on the fun/despair of getting an invite in the Community. You know who definitely has great invite stories? @SoniaB.

23. ShreyasPatil_
    Jelly Bean Dec 1, 2021

ShreyasPatil_ , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Just checked my mailbox. I have invites for the OnePlus 2 and OnePlus X. Probably missed out on OnePlus One.

upload_2021-12-1_18-8-20.png

upload_2021-12-1_18-9-1.png

24. dom_k
    The Lab - OnePlus 9 Pro Reviewer Dec 1, 2021

dom_k , Dec 1, 2021 :
    I never received any invitation but at least I can boast the date of joining the community with the magic number 10/10/2020 . :cool: However, my first memory of Oneplus is really from 2014, when I read about it in the news section of the magazine "Mobilmania". It had the headline "The one the others are afraid of". :D

25. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Dec 1, 2021

pablofg1978 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    I got my one invite after 4 days of joining the forums, and I was lucky. I remember participating on many giveaway threads.
    Really fun times

26. thechangingtime

D1603806390336 likes this.
  27. bhaumikbheda

D1603806390336 likes this.
  28. pkg3107
    Jelly Bean Dec 1, 2021

pkg3107 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Seeing everyone here, I guess I am a much newer member of the Community.

Would have felt like an achievement to get a phone through efforts of an invite, right ?