Dbrand Skin Review (Carbon fiber & Bamboo - with pics!)

1. onyxvalkyrja
    Eclair Mar 16, 2015

onyxvalkyrja , Mar 16, 2015 :
    I have to admit, had it not been for a stark, homely supply of OnePlus cases, I never would have stumbled across from dbrand. There was NO way my klutzy *** was going to risk sacrificing another flagship device to the merciless grips of its concrete archnemesis, so after far too much deliberation (and a lack of decision making skills), I ended up with both Dbrand's white carbon fiber and bamboo skins, as well as a basic Ditztronic case to slap on whichever skin didn't make it on the naked device. A phone within a skin within a case within a skin: Skinception!

FIRST IMPRESSION: Arrived in plastic pouch along with large, shiny cardboard logo cut-out. I tried peeling corners to see if it was sticker. No sticker. T_T
    The skins were visibly textured; not really sure what "carbon fiber" is supposed to feel like, but the woven, basket design resembled a nylon material. Both bamboo and Mahogany appeared to have an identical pattern of tiny ruts and grooves lending to their "woody" feel and were completely matte in appearance. I had to resist continuously help sliding both skins between my fingertips. Much impressed.

APPLICATION: First of all, let me take a moment to mention that my personal OCD hell is filled with decals, screen protectors, and other obstinate sticky things. But astonishingly, this thing was one of the easiest skins/stickers/decals I have ever applied. The adhesive was more "grippy" and sticky, which allowed a much more forgiving medium than was expected, and as advertised, the carbon fiber fit seamlessly around my device.

VERDICT: It almost looks like a literal slab of bamboo was carved into the ditztronic case; and the white carbon, likewise, fits precisely enough to serve as a believable new back plate.
    Does not add any noticeable bulk to the slim design of the phone, either.
    Ultimately, I was more than pleasntly suprised at how flawlessly the bamboo upgraded a plain black case while it still confidently framed the OnePlus cutout. This company also has some of THE most stellar customer service, too. Whichever "robot" resolved my ordering fluke (my fault) deserves a shitload of gold star stickers. Will definitely purchase again!

My only reservations..
    1. It did require a bit more effort to completely adhere to skin around the edges of my slightly textured sandstone back, but i can't really fault them for not fully adapting to a device that probably wasn't intended to have other things deliberately stuck to it in the first place. Though I briefly attempted the hairdryer trick, the persistent fear of accidentally frying a several hundred dollar device prevented me from applying heat for more than a split second; so it may have stuck better had I not wimped out.

2. For some reason, the bamboo skin was missing its tiny, circular microphone cut-out. Though I had no problem using a safety pin to poke the hole myself, the hole on the carbon case served as an alignment guide, so straightening the bamboo skin with a makeshift one on the ditztronic case posed slightly more of a challenge.

3. Though this is by no means a flaw, it'd be great to see a wider variety of styles. In brute honesty, I chose both the carbon fiber and bamboo designs more due to their appeal to uniqueness than my infatuation with the patterns themselves.

TL;DR: Aside from a few infinitesimal gripes, these skins were impeccably designed, a breeze to apply, and sheer umami for the fingertips.
    Needless to say, Dbrand doesn't f**k around.

**Please forgive the fuzzy, poor quality on some of the photos. They were shot with an ancient HTC Evo 3D. >_<

Attached Files:

ammyt likes this.
  2. Sunny
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2015

Sunny , Mar 16, 2015 :
    The white one looks dope... Really good..
    Question.. Does the skin wrap all the way or were there any gaps/ uncovered edges?

3. Sunny
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2015

Sunny , Mar 16, 2015 :
    One more thing, for the white carbon skin, why dont I see the sides of your phone in white? Did you get just the back skin?

4. navarde
    Honeycomb Mar 16, 2015

5. onyxvalkyrja
    Eclair Mar 16, 2015

onyxvalkyrja , Mar 16, 2015 :
    No, lol; actually I have the sandstone, so the black you're seeing (under the carbon) is the phone itself - ditztronic beneath the bamboo. They're the same size as the back plate, so if you're expecting it to offer any protection.. It doesn't lol.

6. Jspectro
    Gingerbread Mar 16, 2015

Jspectro , Mar 16, 2015 :
    Looks cool! Thinking about getting the matte white back to look like the white nexus 5 did. Quick question, I also have the sandstone black, how does the transition from the skin to the sandstone sides feel? Feel weird, or can you even tell? Thanks!

7. ravik2511
    Donut Jul 31, 2015

ravik2511 , Jul 31, 2015 :
    Hi,

Thank you for the detailed review. Could you please guide me. I have
    Plastron Premium Transparent Matte Finish TPU Back Case Cover for Oneplus One

Can I apply the Skin cover on top of it, so that I get even a case protection and also the beauty of the bamboo cover ? Kindly help

8. ravik2511
    Donut Jul 31, 2015

ravik2511 , Jul 31, 2015 :
    I think she has applied the skin over the sandstone back itself. That could possibly be the reason that you cannot see the phone in white on the sides

9. CasperTFG
    KitKat Jul 31, 2015

CasperTFG , Jul 31, 2015 :
    How do you get perfect application of these skins? Are the skins wet and dry over time?

10. Samavedula
    Gingerbread Jul 31, 2015

11. OllieHorne
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 31, 2015