Dear Carl Pei, we need to talk

1. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Jul 14, 2018

pa5t1s , Jul 14, 2018 :
    Could be, yes, although they don't need to pay anyone to do 'the show'...
    But time waster, definitively, if you're looking for some kind of elaborated information. Off-topic threads are the place where I like to spend my time: you have nothing to expect but non-sense and fun, which is never a waste of time ;)

2. jeewanct
    Gingerbread Jul 14, 2018

jeewanct , Jul 14, 2018 :
    They only online when they have to sell their product[e]1f602[/e][e]1f602[/e]

Damonp87 likes this.
  3. nyzproof333
    KitKat Jul 14, 2018

nyzproof333 , Jul 14, 2018 :
    Agreed. I like to read user opinions on tech and debate from time to time.

I chuckle at threads like this....as if Carl, Pete or any executives owe anyone on this forum anything. That includes conversation as well.

4. xnutzii
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2018

5. Sandeep Kaushik
    Donut Jul 14, 2018

Sandeep Kaushik , Jul 14, 2018 :
    No, he did not said anywhere that he wanted him to reply to his thread. Maybe you are bit slow or didn't read the thread.

he just want him to be active in forum....not his thread.

And for why?.....bcoz it will make boost the others

idkwhoiam322 and the_o2 like this.
  6. nyzproof333
    KitKat Jul 14, 2018

Read the title of this thread and come again.

This thread is feels like it's turning into weirdo stalker crap. If I were Carl I would stay as far away from some of the loonys that hang here.

Damonp87, idkwhoiam322 and pa5t1s like this.
  7. Vidnomenon
    Gingerbread Jul 14, 2018

Vidnomenon , Jul 14, 2018 :
    As a OnePlus device owner, who only jumped on the bandwagon with the 3T after all the hype, after all the products were tested and trusted and is constantly looking out for which "bang for your buck" flagship will be a good replacement or play it safe and sheepishly ship an iPhone, I can say the authenticity of this post is well beyond me.

Rational minds making decisions motivated by big marketing budgets probably don't understand the need for community. Maybe until success is defined by more than economics and transactions it will be hard to see who ("little" people) and what ( a "small" act) truly creates value.

keithgpowell likes this.
  8. MikeMp
    Honeycomb Jul 14, 2018

MikeMp , Jul 14, 2018 :
    This is a great piece of narrative.

While it gets too far on some lengths, l agree with the spirit behind it. Wholly that is.

When introducing a new product, some guys get to the front line and behave like friends of this huge community.
    As soon as (and that's my issue) complaints appear from users/ buyers, they disappear and get really "buys like a bee" somewhere.

Let One Plus attend to the 5t camera problem.
    For how long shall l complain about this, and no one seems to care!?

The 5t and the 5 were marketed as phones with clear pictures from dual cameras.

And to see the opposite happening, it's sad.

9. Danielarr45
    Honeycomb Jul 14, 2018

Danielarr45 , Jul 14, 2018 :
    this is well written and spot on. I posted something the other day stating I was shocked by the utter silence. if folks are willing to part with their hard earned money to buy your products, and are facing issues with the product, do not leave the response to some hack to defend by belittling a person they do not know. One Plus needs to own it and this starts at the top...Carl. leading with a red addition of the OP 6 while users are looking for answers for issues they are facing is irresponsible. OP may not have the fix, but be open and communicate so that these issues are not left for YouTubers to answer.

10. nyzproof333
    KitKat Jul 14, 2018

Can someone at OP HQ please just log into Carl's account and like a few posts every now and again? Please?

People's feewings are getting hurt.

Damonp87, meatandy and pa5t1s like this.
  11. MikeMp
    Honeycomb Jul 14, 2018

MikeMp , Jul 14, 2018 :
    That's the thing. It would even make sense, as far as marketing philosophy can demand, to stop introducing new products or product line items and concentrate on solving consumer problems. And don't say OP may not fix, they have. No choice here. It's a matter of dedicating time and resources.

Oneplus must learn from others. Companies die if customers are taken for a ride. And like it or not, no company will survive if it starts loosing customers...even one by one.

pa5t1s likes this.
  12. hotsauce
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2018

hotsauce , Jul 14, 2018 :
    I don't feel anything because I don't want anything from Carl. But I've been indifference to Oneplus for a a long time now.

Damonp87, Cheetosdust, SJBoss and 3 others like this.
  13. florincostescu
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 14, 2018

florincostescu , Jul 14, 2018 :
    Great thread, we're here with you, man. 100%

Cheetosdust and the_o2 like this.
  14. Waterdroid
    Community Veteran Jul 14, 2018

Waterdroid , Jul 14, 2018 :
    You're addressing Carl individually, but he's nothing but a spokesman and has no personal relation to this community. I'm going to refer to the other party as OnePlus rather than Carl for that reason.

I have not been very active on this forum, but I used to be. I'd say 3-4 years ago, before I worked as a moderator and before the total member count hit 100.000. There are reasons I was active then and not anymore, and I suppose OnePlus has their reasons too.

I think it's important to remember OnePlus started this forum to advertise on and learn from. Their weekly reports and occasional thank-you's had a personal touch to them, but they were advertisements nonetheless. The feedback the members gave on these threads would be analyzed so that the company would know whether their target audience thought they were doing well or bad. The sense of community came naturally because everyone shared the same interest.

Then the first phone launched, and the forum saw a change. More and more users without this common interest joined, mainly to secure an invite to a cheap phone. OnePlus could still get feedback from their users, but there was some 'invite-spam' in the way, and because of the nature of invites, this spam grew exponentially.
    Around this point in time, I was asked to moderate the forum, along with a few dozen other active members. Besides our role as moderator, I suppose we were also considered the core of OnePlus' target audience at the time. Their name and products were still a bit geeky, after all. I've been reached out to a couple of times in these months to give individual feedback where they could not make sense of the voice of the entire forum. I'm sure others were too.

And then OnePlus kinda did it. Their first phone was a great success and they launched some more devices. The forum still has its community of members with a common interest, but there was more to it. The interest that attracted the first bunch of members has kind of faded from the forum. OnePlus now has a rather large audience to analyze besides the relatively few people on the forum, and as a result invests less time in getting feedback from the forum. In this stage, I left the forum because it felt complete to me. I was proud to say the small startup had listened to me and had grown into a notable company, inter alia, by my feedback. I have nothing to tell them anymore, and they have nothing to tell me.

Thing is, not everyone chose to leave. Many people from other stages of the forum are still here, as well as people that have recently joined but still associate with this group that makes 'the community'. You share interests amongst yourselves, and you spout feedback at OnePlus just like before. Difference is that OnePlus doesn't need it anymore, and therefore doesn't reward you as much with these personal stories and updates like they used to. This is the lack of activity you and many other members complain about these days. Sure, they post every now and then because this forum is still free advertising to them. There's just nothing they can learn from here anymore.

So, having read all that, and realizing that their customer count is well in the millions, why do you think they should pay so much attention to such a small group?

15. Danielarr45
    Honeycomb Jul 14, 2018

Danielarr45 , Jul 14, 2018 :
    because OP, the brand, will erode over time with disgruntled customers. Customer retention is always easier and cheaper.

16. risky1301
    Lollipop Jul 14, 2018

17. the_o2
    User of the Year 2018 Jul 15, 2018

the_o2 , Jul 15, 2018 :
    Totally agree with you @Cheetosdust , they don't care this forum anymore, now they are more depends upon the media houses for marketing and HYPEing.
    They said they listening to us and then launch a phone with a notch not giving a damn! about the users anymore.
    I'm sure you would gonna get a response from him which not gonna satisfied you or we(except few) in any way.
    This is a great read again :)

18. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Jul 15, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Jul 15, 2018 :
    Do you remember/know the history of OnePlus? How it was started? I wouldn't care if Carl doesn't visit here even once, but then he must stop printing "Created together with our fans" on all the products!

Coming to your "Why" now. If he wants to keep on using that tagline everywhere, he needs to interact here. Or he should simply stop using the word community during product launches and during interviews! He keeps on using that word as if he interacts with them, which is not the case.

You're saying that he has people to do everything. Pete manages those people, being the CEO of the company. So, what exactly does this co-founder of OnePlus does, except giving interviews and re-tweeting some positive stuff?

You do not realise how important this community was for OnePlus Team. And it is still important for people like us. It is so important that it has been our second home. No, you won't understand that and I don't expect you to.

19. Akhshay Srinivasan
    Nougat Jul 15, 2018

Akhshay Srinivasan , Jul 15, 2018 :
    Well now, @Cheetosdust I think this issue can't be closed with a single thread.

Firstly, I thank you for your bold move in opening a thread that points out @Carl's pros and cons w.r.to, his absence in his / this / our community which is almost filled with feedbacks.

Secondly, you cannot merely give it a shot in complaining him that he isn't communicative enough in his responses to us as that's the job of his staff members and that's why he has nominated you guys to review the threads and give feedbacks to him. This includes even the mods tbh !

Thirdly, I would say that you have missed out few points.... viz.,

> @Carl must be more innovative than being a replica of other giants.

>Well, @Carl ,we know that you're busy with Oppo or Op but, inspite of your schedules, do get updated from your staff members be it @Ruby G. or @Crystal Z. or @Gary C. etc.... etc.... about this community and take actions in developing your cust OS, bug fixes, battery drains, etc....

> Please do conduct some events in the form of a thread naming it as "Interactive week" so that the forum users will be able to speak viz., share with the staff members who are sufficient enough tbh though Carl or Pei can't be closer enough with us.

But, staff members are co-operative till today with us. Aren't they ? So are mods :) But, let this not loose the grip Op team.

@Cheetosdust, I felt the above points were vital issues which were missed or hidden somewhere in this thread.

Anyways a shout-out for this bold thread !

Cheers !

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018

20. NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams
    Lollipop Jul 15, 2018