Death of music - when did it happen?

1. lassmat
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

lassmat , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Music has gone back to Africa where it all begun. Just like the Chinese, nothing will be sustainable when copied.

2. HiiP0WER
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

HiiP0WER , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I like Mozart and I'm a 90s baby....

But I also love gangster rap...

Hm...

redleema and koltiwa like this.
  3. 65daysofleon
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

65daysofleon , Jan 12, 2015 :
    You don't get it, do you. A wicked guitar solo is irrelevant for talent and musicianship. Music has evolved, guitar solos are a thing of classic rock, and though they can still be implemented in contemporary rock (and be awesome), the guitar solo in itself is pretty outdated. Good guitarists are guitarists that develop a unique style, something most of the guitarists in your 70s list didn't have.

Since you so desperately want names, I'll give you a few great, contemporary guitarists: José González, Damien Rice, Jack White, Brian Aubert, Jónsi, Alex Turner - oh, and he can pull a mean solo.

But the fact that you're so obsessed on guitarists and classic rock prove just how narrow-minded you are. Call yourself a fan of good music? Try stepping out of your 3 genre comfort bubble. I'm sure electronic music is per definition awful, right? Just like the electric guitar was awful in the 30s and 40s, or The Beatles were awful in the 60s, rock music was the devil's crap the kids listened to and all metal is just chaotic noise. Congratulations, you're officially a grumpy old man.

Electronic music has caused the widest diversity in sounds possible within one generation's worth of evolution. Don't like Skrillex? Fine, don't listen to him. Try Bonobo, Kiasmos, SBTRKT. 65daysofstatic (surprise), Little Dragon, Broken Bells, Woodkid, Timo Maas, just to name a few.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

chri... and koltiwa like this.
  4. chri...
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 12, 2015

chri... , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Without the blues, without jimi, without beatles and without many other you did not have any electronic music and didn't even have any music from '80 and from Avril Lavigne (that anyway would have been better)...
    But you at least were right for one thing, I am tempted to kill you.

5. chri...

chri... , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I agree...
    I love and play music from '60 and '70 in partiular, but people didn't have to be blind and close in their nostalgia...

6. cyclopsoz
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

cyclopsoz , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Yes. Music hasn't been the same since they started dancing on their heads and sniffing bex.

7. MackTheTaylor
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

MackTheTaylor , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Guthrie Govan, the lead guitarist for Steven Wilson's current solo work is amazing. Check out his solo in a song like the Watchmaker.

Pat Metheny is unbelievable, and his 20 grammy awards can vouch for that.

8. T3STY
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2015

T3STY , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Glad to hear that! Let me know when you'd like to come over to my house so I make sure I won't be out for other business! ^_^

9. chri...

10. teuchterloon

teuchterloon , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Napalm Death!? I used to listen to them when I was a kid :) Lawnmower Death too...

70's pop though, is the best pop music there has ever been and Glam (in the UK) was the very definition of mainstream in the 70s. I can't vouch for other countries.

11. teuchterloon

I'll give it a go, thanks :)

Finished? You list a lot of good bands. The music I talked about was all within my lifetime. I am 41.
    I don't listen to pop radio either. I don't listen to and love Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Kate Bush etc because I think I'm supposed to; I listen to them because they produced some of the best music the world has ever heard.

I guess you weren't finished...

I YOUR opinion, a guitar solo is irrelevant. Any cockwomble can strum a guitar. Not everyone can play like those I listed. I'd say Slash, Gilmour and Knopfler all had their own, unique style.

Thanks for the list of names, I'll give them a look although I'm already familiar with Rice and White.

I'm not obsessed with guitarists. Did you even read my original post? Rick Wright didn;t play guitar. Nor did Kate Bush or Freddie Mercury, John Bonham, Keith Moon...

The music I listen to varies greatly. I have albums by ABBA, Barry Manilow, Bettye Lavette and so on and so forth, right through the alphabet to Zlata Ognevich. My all-time favourite band is Old Blind Dogs and my favourite singer is Ian F Benzie. Some of my favourite songs were by a band called The Lorelei. I highly recommend them :) You're right though, I do feel electronic music, by definition is crap.

I never said I wasn't a grumpy old man. In fact, if you ask my friends and family, it's something I take great pride in.

Thanks for the contribution.

12. Timotis
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

Timotis , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Henry Rollins, after his departure from music......It all died..... Well good music did, anyway!!!

teuchterloon likes this.
  13. teuchterloon

Henry Rollins. Haha. I forgot about him. Used to listen to him when I was a skater back in the ate 80s / early 90s.

14. Timotis
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

Timotis , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Pretty much when I started (showing our age here pal)
    But the thing I liked (and still do) about Rollins, he knew when his time for making music was up and gave it in.... Unlike many of these come back kings and queens.... Sickening...

teuchterloon likes this.
  15. abo231
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

abo231 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    I have to disagree with you on this.. each generation has it's own taste .. like 60's blues 70's reggae, 80's pop, 90's teens pop, 2000 pop continued to be hits and electronic music..

What I'm trying to say it's young people decision.. I guess they feel sorry for us too :D, so ...

16. marc.teixido

marc.teixido , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Hey dudes!
    I was listenig to Queen (live at Wembley 1986) and the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert, and they are absolutely amazing!

teuchterloon likes this.
  17. Chudynasty
    Gingerbread Jan 12, 2015

Chudynasty , Jan 12, 2015 :
    Yea you guys are old. Teenagers now will probably think the same way you guys think right now when they become old too.

abo231 and teuchterloon like this.
  18. teuchterloon

@marc.teixido Yeah, Queen were amazing. Freddie Mercury would be rolling in his grave to see what has become of the band now.

@Chudynasty You're only as old as the woman you feel... or something. I don't see people in 30 years looking back on 1D and saying how great they were and how they influenced so many bands.

marc.teixido likes this.
  19. teuchterloon

Music is not the property of 'young people'. Any and everyone can buy music and go to concerts.

20. abo231
    Jelly Bean Jan 12, 2015

abo231 , Jan 12, 2015 :
    So.. you agree with me that music is not dead rite :D. I mean feeling sorry for the youngsters doesn't count.
    They like the music , they purchase it, and they make it hit. which means we as an elder generation or even minority of current generation should not underestimate or question their taste .. :rolleyes:

Chudynasty likes this.