Decision To get OPO has been solidified! :( :)

1. Jesmer84
    Eclair May 10, 2014

Jesmer84 , May 10, 2014 :
    OK this is a true story. In October 2013, I bought my Wife a Nexus 4 as an anniversary present straight from google while they did their crazy price drops. I was happy rocking my SG S2. So me and my wife go jogging and the stupid phone literally flies out of my pocket. It so happened this was the one time My Epic 4g touch didn't have its ballistic case on, and it shattered. I was devastated! So after a month and a half of no phone. I decide what the heck I will buy myself a Nexus 4. It's a fabulous phone in my opinion(but it's no OPO).

So In December, I meet a guy from Craigslist Who is selling his Nexus 4 due to getting a Nexus 5. I meet him up at a T-Mobile Store and the employees there confirm its a clean IMEI and there is no issue with me buying the phone. So I buy it. Fast forward to TODAY 5/9 as I get home from work, I reach for my phone and it says no signal. "No Mobile Network Available", I take out the sim. reset the phone, and nothing same error message. I contact T-Mobile Support through Chat. She troubleshoots it, and can't get it to work. She asks for my Sim Card #, and it's okay, and then asks me for my IMEI. As I am powering on my phone again. A quick message flashes that says "Restricted Access has Changed". I mention it to the lady. She then proceeds to tell me that my IMEI has been Blocked! I start to freak out, and argue that it can't be possible it must be an error.

I go to the same T-Mobile store that I activated the phone at and they say the phone was financed, and wasn't paid for. The account went 3 months without payment, then went to collections where they finally blocked my IMEI. So as of right now I literally have a phone that is no good to me, and very frustrating.

The good news is this has solidified my reason to get an OPO!

The Bad news. I have to wait for a freaking invite, if not I have to wait potentially 2 months before I get a phone again.

2. ryaldo
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 10, 2014

ryaldo , May 10, 2014 :
    You poor bastard. You should have a new OPO at the end of June.

3. Ibtisam
    Honeycomb May 10, 2014

Ibtisam , May 10, 2014 :
    I can totally relate to that except I didn't actually purchase the phone from Kijiji or Craiglist. Due to this particular fear, I intend to wait to buy OPO for my wife as a birthday present in July.

4. Zach Mauch
    Gingerbread May 10, 2014

Zach Mauch , May 10, 2014 :
    Dang, that sucks!!! Honestly, that is T-Mobile's fault for not identifying it as being on financing. They owe you.

The good news however is that it should still work on any AT&T network. I would suggest selling it yourself with the caveatclearly stated to any potential buyers.

5. Zach Mauch
    Gingerbread May 10, 2014

This experience really makes me worry as I've never thought about phones being sold having payment plans on them. With those becoming so popular, that is going to become a big issue if sites like swappa.com don't have access to that info.

BTW, do you still have the guy's contact info in you email? If so, I know I'd want to confront him/her about it.

6. ziprom
    KitKat May 10, 2014

ziprom , May 10, 2014 :
    This is why I never buy a used smartphone.

No matter the source, the risk is real and the potential consequences are more than I find acceptable.

Hopefully you'll get one of the early invites and put this behind you. :)

7. ziprom
    KitKat May 10, 2014

ziprom , May 10, 2014 :
    In my state the carriers share info to help protect one another and comply with the new law. Therefore they would not allow the phone on their network either. Shortly it's expected this will become federal law.

8. Zach Mauch
    Gingerbread May 10, 2014

That sucks. I know it's good in most cases, but in this case T-Mobile REALLY owes you here.

9. ziprom
    KitKat May 10, 2014

ziprom , May 10, 2014 :
    Respectfully I disagree. Here's why:

Yes, if they are truly making their customer number one, they need to make this right.

However, it's just one employee that was in error. He or she may also been given bad information. Mistakes happen. I'm not standing up for them or making excuses, but rather I'm just discussing the various aspects of this unfortunate situation.

There's an appropriate saying:
    "Buyer Beware" no where does this apply better than it does to this situation.

10. Jumpman23
    Honeycomb May 10, 2014

Jumpman23 , May 10, 2014 :
    [​IMG]

nativeazn612 likes this.
  11. nativeazn612
    Gingerbread May 10, 2014

12. ziprom
    KitKat May 10, 2014

13. Pipebomb
    Gingerbread May 10, 2014

Pipebomb , May 10, 2014 :
    Wow! That's a horrid story. I hate to see that you were ripped off like that!
    There's some really cruddy people in this world.
    Just be careful.
    Make sure you get an OnePlus One directly from them and ONLY them!
    Best wishes receiving an invite.
    I am waiting for mine too :)

14. Zach Mauch
    Gingerbread May 10, 2014

You may be right, this is one of those things that really ignites me and can get me angrier than the person it happened to. I mean, you did the due justice and still got burned.

On the plus side, I've got a new question to ask when shopping.

swent1 likes this.
  15. Ryan
    KitKat May 10, 2014

16. BluepointVance
    Cupcake May 10, 2014

BluepointVance , May 10, 2014 :
    I spent half of my day today in Verizon trying to return a Note 3 (bluetooth problems)... Dealing with customer "service" has pushed my over the edge to OPO.

17. bhotE
    Gingerbread May 10, 2014

18. nickh8su
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 10, 2014

nickh8su , May 10, 2014 :
    why would t-mobile have any responsibility in a private transaction. happens all the time. people sell their phone's on active accounts and then let their accounts go delinquent. it's not t-mobiles fault that people suck.

19. Jesmer84
    Eclair May 10, 2014

Jesmer84 , May 10, 2014 :
    Yeah I guess you live and you learn. Never buying a used phone off craigslist again!!!

And if anybody has a spare invite I would appreciate it. Would like to get a phone ASAP.

20. virgil1981
    KitKat May 10, 2014

virgil1981 , May 10, 2014 :
    That sucks. I never do Craigslist. Usually Amazon since its pretty much guaranteed but it would have been more expensive. Unfortunately people suck and because of that you got screwed. I would just get a really cheap phone till you get an invite.