Deep Dive: 120 Hz Fluid Display – Beyond resolution and refresh rate

1. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 22, 2020

Chinda , Apr 22, 2020 :
    It definitely isn't a big deal as smooth motion is nothing revolutionary. If it was a big deal like you claim then the tech industry would be raving about the smooth motion feature on televisions. Whereas the 10bit display with over a billion colours actually is a big deal for smartphones.

Read any in depth flagship television review and they always recommend turning off smooth motion. You are in the minority who use smooth motion turned on. All the OnePlus 8 Pro reviews the reviewers have all said smooth motion messes up the video content. With the reviewers then saying they eventually turned off smooth motion in the OnePlus 8 Pro settings.

As I previously stated higher frame rates are the future. But only for content that is actually filmed at a higher frame rate, artificially changing the frame rate is like artificially colourizing a original black & white film. It just doesn't look right, you can easily spot the image has been manipulated to look differently than how it originally looked.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020

2. AnonymousAnas
    Froyo Apr 22, 2020

AnonymousAnas , Apr 22, 2020 :
    It is not technically possible because that memc feature requires a MEMC chip to work.

3. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 22, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 22, 2020 :
    ... Well, a software based solution would atleast not be effective enough to be suitable for mobile phones even if the hardware would be capable of rendering the extra frames.
    I probably test the MEMC chip a few minutes and forever leaving it off unless I need it to replicate some bugs 😋
    I don't think I like either the end result or the added battery drain when using this function. Even if the chip does this in a pretty efficient way it still adds drain. But we will see. My delivery seems to run late...

Mr.xsingh likes this.
  4. AnonymousAnas
    Froyo Apr 22, 2020

...moreover the content look unrealistically smooth which just ruins the overall experience.
    Even most of the reviewers prefer MEMC turned off.

Chinda, Mr.xsingh and Swejuggalo like this.
  5. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 22, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 22, 2020 :
    Exactly. May be fun to use for some content but probably best off most of times.
    Either an easy on/off function while using an app or per app configuration would probably make people use it more. (as far as I seen there is only a on/off inside phone settings, right?)

Mr.xsingh and AnonymousAnas like this.
  6. AnonymousAnas
    Froyo Apr 22, 2020

Yeah as of now the option is there only...According to me, the biggest change they have made in the display department is a '10-bit' display...A feature that is so underrated. It's something worth appreciating...even the biggest reviewers did not put enough light on this feature.

Chinda, Mr.xsingh and Swejuggalo like this.

Mr.xsingh likes this.
  8. Aathif_Mahir
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 22, 2020

Mr.xsingh likes this.
  9. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 22, 2020

YRJ and Mr.xsingh like this.
  10. X1587283939221
    Cupcake Apr 22, 2020

Mr.xsingh likes this.
  11. Neeraj_Porwal
    Honeycomb Apr 22, 2020

Mr.xsingh likes this.
  12. Jeetesh Kodwani
    Cupcake Apr 22, 2020

13. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 23, 2020

meatandy , Apr 23, 2020 :

Now when will the 8 be offered in the referral program ?

14. R1573365762257
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2020

15. aenews
    KitKat Apr 23, 2020

aenews , Apr 23, 2020 :
    You're missing my point. It's a big deal because this is the first time we've ever seen frame interpolation in any form on Android, let alone a dedicated hardware solution with an MEMC Chip. I'm not arguing that FI is for everyone. Even if you aren't a fan of FI, understand that this is a major technical achievement that simply hasn't been done until now on Android (to my knowledge anyways). I've personally wanted FI on Android for the better part of a decade, so this is a rather surprising development.

I haven't tested FI on the 8 Pro. I'll have to see. I suspect the reviewers dislike FI in general (or possibly even HFR in general), so I have no idea how well the implementation is on the OP8 Pro. That's the important question. As I said, how well FI works depends on the quality (i.e. resolution, frame rate) of the original source. Even if the hardware/software currently isn't well-optimized, I'm sure it would work well on 4K/60 content (Interpolated to 120FPS). I've used SVP on Windows. Another issue with FI, is that the results are highly dependent on the software settings. If OnePlus doesn't (currently) allow much in the way of customization then the FI may result in excessive unwanted artifacting and jittering depending on the content. Obviously, low quality interrim frames means the resulting video output is less useful and even useless to some people.

Given what you said about HFR being the future, I don't see the disagreement (other than my personal preference being FI on everything even at cost of artifacting). Issues with FI become increasingly less relevant as the quality of the source improves and interpolated frames become more accurate. I am all for HFR.

Yes. I'm excited that we're getting a 120Hz Panel (240Hz Touch Sampling), True 10-Bit Panel, QHD+ AMOLED from Samsung. I was already incredibly impressed with the 7 Pro, which was revolutionary at the time for being the only QHD+ OLED on a smartphone with a high refresh rate. The 8 Pro steps up the game on every front which makes me very excited.

16. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Apr 23, 2020

YRJ , Apr 23, 2020 :
    That's a question for another AMA ;)

MosheG1 likes this.
  17. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2020

Chinda , Apr 23, 2020 :
    We will agree to disagree on smooth motion 😁 and judging by most of the comments on here most people don't like using smooth motion for viewing video content.

In agreement for more content movies, shows and sport getting filmed at high frame rates. But it's not going to be a immediate thing, it will gradually happen over time.

18. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 23, 2020

19. Chinda
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2020

Chinda , Apr 23, 2020 :
    I agree with that, the 10bit panel producing over a billion colours is a much bigger deal for smartphones. I can imagine Ultra HD HDR movies on Netflix will look amazing on the OnePlus 8 Pro. Plus photo editing will be better with the display showing much more colours in the images than a 8bit panel smartphone.

AnonymousAnas likes this.
  20. Q1587645617243
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2020