Deep Dive: 120 Hz Fluid Display – the best you’ll lay eyes on in 2020

1. sudhir16820
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2020

sudhir16820 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    Damn...That time isn't far away when OnePlus will bring 144Hz and/or 240 Hz refresh rate into the mainstream making Smartphones Really Damn Smart !!

2. riffraff81
    KitKat Jan 17, 2020

riffraff81 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    looks like oneplus is going to come close to this but no cigar.

the 120hz is there, the QHD is there, there's rumors going around that there will be 50watt charging but the rumor is only a 4500mah battery.

there's still time to change that, hope they do. such a package would satisfy most people but i'm gonna need that extra 500mah to get me to trade in my newly bought oneplus 7 pro for the 8.

ShokuninKento likes this.
  3. jaba1404
    Donut Jan 17, 2020

4. Joyal@Nightwalkr
    Donut Jan 17, 2020

5. dan_0272
    Froyo Jan 17, 2020

dan_0272 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jan 17, 2020 :
    I know the method but it does not works on my 7t Pro...Tried both the adb command as well as the jOnePlus tools method separately but none works for me...

6. arijeetc
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2020

arijeetc , Jan 17, 2020 :
    Good that OnePlus is also bringing it in but didn't Asus already do this with ROG 2 phone. What's new?

malidan likes this.
  7. raju.palagiri
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2020

8. Pikachooooo
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2020

9. sakearzoo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 17, 2020

sakearzoo , Jan 17, 2020 :
    please take care of battery also . with 2k 120hz 10bit . display would draw higher power . And from op7t we have realised the battery life is poor . if display size is 6.5 + then put atleast 5000mah + battery . a little bit thickness will not matter to anyone .

10. kaldpils
    Froyo Jan 17, 2020

kaldpils , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 17, 2020 :
    to the people who say 120hz is overkill the video don't play in 120hz.
    they put in memc technology. that will make it play in both 90hz and 120hz.

read the post properly.

I love the never settle on OnePlus.

you are the best company.

if you want a cheaper phone buy the 8 or the 8 lite.

please put wireless charging one the 8plus.
    I will pay the money if you make the best phone

and to make the best phone you need wireless charging..

so please make the best phone in the world on the 8plus

it's just a thin small patch on topp of the battery and a small connector..

we need wireless charging to have the best phone in the world.

so Please putt the wireless charging one the OnePlus 8 Pro

we will pay for it.

The people who wants a cheaper priced phone can buy the 8 or the 8 lite.

the 8 Pro should be your premium device.

that means you need to putt all the premium technology on the OnePlus 8 Pro

so please putt wireless charging on the premium phone OnePlus 8 Pro.

you are releasing OnePlus 8 lite for the people who wants a cheaper phone.
    the OnePlus 8 for the people who wants a good phone.
    and the OnePlus 8 Pro is for the people who wants to pay for a premium phone.

so again please give us what we want. a premium phone with premium specs.
    that means wireless charging. and all the new technology that makes a phone a topp notch phone. a FLAGSHIP phone.

hope you listen to us.

I have asked you for this since the OnePlus 7 pro came out.

you are releasing 3 phones this year so make the premium OnePlus 8 Pro with wireless charging and the best software you can develop.

all people who wants the best phone will pay for it. if you do this

if it's no wireless charging on the 8 Pro I will not buy it.

than I will wait for the 9 pro.

the wireless charging is only a small patch on top of the battery with a connector
    you can even change it not unless you already started mass producing the phone..

so do what you stand for "Never Settle"

that means you should make the best of the 3 devices the 8 Pro with everything that to days flagship phones have..

if not Samsung will beat you again. like thay did last year (2019)

so lets make the 2020 model the real flagship killer.

you can do it. And we will pay the price you need to set it at..

trust me with this screen your best software and wireless charging
    (the best hardware)

no phone can beat OnePlus 8 Pro.

we will have the best phone in the world

and if you give us that it will be the best ad you can ever get. (the best phone in the world is OnePlus)

that means more people will change to OnePlus..

so please put on all the best hardware .

like I said I and a lot of others will pay for it.

and next year more People will.

wireless charging and to charge and reverse charge to charge other phones..

it's wireless charging spots almost in every city now.
    even the bench in my country Norway in the city have wireless charging.

so make the flagship killer phone that you started to make.

and than we need the best hardware and software..

rabineldhojohn likes this.
  11. B1574785688803
    Eclair Jan 17, 2020

B1574785688803 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    Samsung indicated their S20-series have 120Hz, but not in the QHD-mode, only in FHD mode. Oneplus has it for both....

On the Oneplus 7T series there is a severe issue with the screen, that turns partly green when viewing grey area's on a low brightness. I'm beginning to understand why Samsung did not put the 90Hz refreshrate on their S10/Note 10 series and let Oneplus try it out first...
    Why would it be any different now with the 120Hz on QHD resolution? It feels Samsung "uses" Oneplus as guinea pig, so I'm wondering which drawbacks we will see on the 120Hz-QHD-screen of the Oneplus 8 Pro...Maybe again a discoloration?
    Makes you wonder why Samsung removed compatibility of 120Hz with their own QHD-screens....

Afterall, don't forget, Oneplus did nothing to fix the 7T screen issue but said it was no issue at all.
    Let's see how it will turn out to be...for now, I'm hesitatingly curious to the OP8 series...

The Mastermind likes this.
  12. Secondbushome
    Gingerbread Jan 17, 2020

Secondbushome , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 17, 2020 :
    That issue has nothing to do with refresh rate but rather an inferior AMOLED panel that they put in the 7T. You can try enabling/disabling DC Dimming to see if that does anything, but it seems like an issue 7T owners have brought up. Again, nothing to do with refresh rate as the 7 Pro doesn't have this problem.

13. Racha Ravindar
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2020

14. M1565888859478
    Donut Jan 17, 2020

15. Vignesh_chandz
    Honeycomb Jan 17, 2020

Vignesh_chandz , via OnePlus 6 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    90Hz was just becoming the industry standard , and now comes the 120 Hz with all the innovative tech inside comprising the MEMC Technology which already proved the fact that big held televisions are coming right into our hands. Battery consumption and the fact that makes 120hz more adaptable from user leading apps are sure worth a wait. just wondering are touch sampling rate noticable ?! looking forward to the best display of 2020.

16. Rai.physicist
    Eclair Jan 17, 2020

Rai.physicist , Jan 17, 2020 :
    120 Hz display Redmi , Asus Rog phine 2 already launched in current market. I think OnePlus lag to implement this technology. But i also excited see new oneplus device with 120 Hz display and Sony imx686 sensor...

17. soccastar123
    Froyo Jan 17, 2020

soccastar123 , Jan 17, 2020 :
    Stop with the poor battery life crap! The battery is just fine even with 5G.

rabineldhojohn and Alex_Cerv like this.
  18. TheSpoken

TheSpoken , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 17, 2020 :

harshil1903

While 120 Hz sounds cool, but I'd settle for 90 Hz refresh rate and less priced device compared to 120 Hz one.

Like Pete said most of the video content is produced in 60fps at best, so the 120 Hz screen has no impact on it.

About gaming, I read somewhere that SD 865 would support 90 Hz refresh rate for higher graphic demanding games like PUBG and other FPS. So 120 Hz would prove nothing but a source for battery drain.

And about other apps being able to use 120 Hz refresh rate, the current 90 Hz is already smooth enough and I don't think there'll be any large improvement in smoothness that can be perceived by our eyes.

That being said, this is just what my opinion on 120Hz display is about. It's cool yeah, but do we need it? I don't think so. I'd settle for longer battery life with just smooth enough display of 90 Hz.​

Keep reassuring yourself of that, 90hz is barely compatible with anything compared to 120hz, it's far more noticeable that 60 to 90hz.

The battery sacrifice is worth it for 120,but definitely not 90.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020

19. sakearzoo

sakearzoo , Jan 17, 2020 :
    it depends how you use your phone .. if you are getting better battery life that doesn't means that everyone will be fine with that .. comparing op7t pro with Samsung note 10+ , huawei mate 30 pro the battery life is poor . and if you were given opportunity to choose a device with better battery life over poor what would you choose ??