Deep Dive: A look into our new Brand Visual Identity

1. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 18, 2020

Its.Leandroo , Mar 18, 2020 :
    It already was perfectly unified. There's 0 reason to change something that was just beginning to become more known to the average consumer.

It honestly looks rushed. The ONLY thing I can get behind is fixing the weight of the "ONEPLUS" logotype, good move. Everything else is literally just multiple steps backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm open to change. But only if it's something that is objectively better and can be proven to improve recognition and/or consistency, something this does not do.

Whenever I need to use the Never Settle "logo", I'll keep using the old one, as the new one looks cramped both in letter spacing and line height.

Edit: The color usage has also gone backwards, with the light blue on red failing accessibility tests by a long shot. And then we have the font name, you do know Grotesk is Latin for Awful right?

2. afsar001
    Cupcake Mar 18, 2020

afsar001 , Mar 18, 2020 :
    new logo is looking good.. but thing is OLD LOGO is way much better than this.. We love CLASSIC OLD ONE PLUS LOGO

zerosixteen and G_plusone like this.
  3. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Mar 18, 2020

buntycubal and K.R.Soos like this.
  4. sam311
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 18, 2020

5. omendomen
    Froyo Mar 18, 2020

zerosixteen and G_plusone like this.
  6. mdta
    Gingerbread Mar 18, 2020

mdta , Mar 18, 2020 :
    What will this new branding mean for Oxygen OS branding, UI design, font choices, and theming in the future?

TheJuli likes this.
  7. Drewbikscube
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Mar 18, 2020

Drewbikscube , Mar 18, 2020 :

Well said!

Don't mean to hate on it or seem like I've just been ranting in threads lately but some of these choices are confusing and overall poorly executed. Just wish they involved their community more on making these type of changes. This is all bad.....Just being honest.

Laree, YRJ and Dresa91 like this.
  8. SassholeOnTheRoll
    Froyo Mar 18, 2020

SassholeOnTheRoll , Mar 18, 2020 :
    I don't like the new VI. The "never settle" has way less impact like this and the "OnePlus" logo does not read "One Plus" anymore, it says "OH-NEE-PLUS" which sounds like a French disease.
    This "never settle" now reads like a stranger is telling me to do so. It doesn't have any meaning or impact without the back drop AND in small letters. It's just like "maybe never settle, maybe don't, we don't care".

It's like when kids used to make fake knock-off logos using MS Word. And the kid didn't even bother to change the font from default Calibri!

You'd be better off not changing the logo, not changing who you are and who we've known you for since the beginning. I had a OnePlus One, am now a proud owner of the 7T Pro McLaren Edition and I loved how OnePlus never changed its core. Now it has and that's a shame

Laree likes this.
  9. NoInspiration
    Honeycomb Mar 18, 2020

10. K.R.Soos
    Donut Mar 18, 2020

K.R.Soos , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Mar 18, 2020 :
    At first, I didn't like the new logo but now... Now I'm okay with it. I really like the minimalist and clear styles, so I think this step is welcome. Nice work.

No doubt, the new typo is way much better. I want to use it one day.

The accent colour... That's too much. Ugh.

All in all, I think these small changes are in a good direction.

Thanks for the deep dive!

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  11. agoinfly
    Marshmallow Mar 18, 2020

buntycubal and G_plusone like this.
  12. sumesh1188
    Cupcake Mar 18, 2020

13. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Dresa91 , Mar 18, 2020 :
    I don’t hate it either . But it could have been a little bit better or more accurate:) ;)

14. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 18, 2020

YRJ , Mar 18, 2020 :
    Hello @Rob M. ,
    First of all, congratulations on the new look.
    When it comes to design and looks things can be veeery tricky, looks are subjective and it's difficult to please everyone. However, just looking at the initial response since you changed the forum typeface people are not very happy, to say the least. Thanks to @Dresa91 for pointing it out in the very first post. Please do go through @SJBoss 's thread if you'd like feedback.

Secondly, the old logo was just fine. I am not saying that you should stick to it forever but if you are changing it do so when you think you have found something much better. Do no mistake me, I'm not saying that the new one is bad but let's just look at this:
    1260729-8936235359de42635dedf931499fcb97.png P.C. @Its.Leandroo
    Well we all can agree that „alignment” is one of the most important part of a design and this happens to be the logo - the most important and distinguishing element of the brand.
    Back when @dsmonteiro announced the OnePlus TV logo he was very specific about the spacing and also reasoned the made choices. However, I see that this particular aspect is absent in your post.
    1097264-9544c3e32e9935d9cb1d2f77f3e9bac2.jpg
    With this deep dive I was actually keen on learning about what inspired the changes in the new logo and look. What spacing technique was used?

Anyways, as of now I don't really like the logo very much but I think my feelings will change over time. Maybe it will grow on me, maybe it won't. Who cares? And the topic itself is very subjective so it's best to leave it.

The most surprising part of the thread is that you did not use the new typeface. When the very purpose of the thread is to announce the change?

All that aside, I have to commend the induction of the new lavender and teal color. It's really pleasant I'm sure you got the color right.

P.s. Can we have the option of switching between OnePlus slate and the new typeface across the forums?

Congratulations again and all the best with the new look and the future. :)

Best,
    Y

15. JalananFreak
    Honeycomb Mar 18, 2020

JalananFreak , Mar 18, 2020 :
    Yes, just stop this. This design, the colours, does not felt premium at all or even minimalist. A 7 years old could do better than this.

FlixbusLennart likes this.
  16. Dresa91

Dresa91 , Mar 18, 2020 :
    thanks for this great post, my friend:)!

YRJ likes this.
  17. Its.Leandroo

Attached Files:

18. Dresa91

19. Its.Leandroo

buntycubal, suhantm and Dresa91 like this.
  20. Dresa91