Deep Dive: Collaborating with McLaren

1. Eric L.
    Product Manager Staff Member Oct 21, 2019

Eric L. , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Forum - McL Deep Dive 1.png

Hey everyone,

I'm Eric L., the Product Manager for the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition. I'm very happy to meet you all and to be here with the Community, to tell you a bit more about the story behind our collaboration with McLaren.

Looking back at every generation of OnePlus limited edition, they all had their distinguishing factors – JCC, Avengers, McLaren.

When, in early 2018, we were considering a limited edition, everyone agreed on a super car brand collaboration. It just made sense: tech and speed were born to be next to each other. OnePlus also was regarded as an example of speed and performance in the mobile industry. We design our products to be Fast and Smooth, providing a burdenless user experience. Speed is in OnePlus’ DNA, so collaborating with a super car brand, an area where speed is paramount, just made sense.

So, who to work with? Who is famous for tech and speed in the super car industry? There might be several brands that come to your mind. But when we learnt the history of McLaren, it just clicked.

McLaren was founded on the race track. When Bruce McLaren founded the company, there were already well-established giants on the race track, like Ferrari, Porsche, Ford, Mercedes. Trying to build a brand and grab the victory from these players was no easy feat. But Bruce McLaren made it. Without a big factory, all was started in a storehouse; without a huge team, everyone was multitasking. After long days and nights of thorough testing and constant improvement, McLaren became one of the giants in its own right, and papaya orange took its rightful place on the podium.

Similarly, when OnePlus was founded, there were also well-established giants on the market. At first, there only several members in OnePlus, even a team leader would go to the warehouse to help pack the phones before the open sales. Now OnePlus has earned its fame in the industry, and OnePlus' signature Red color became familiar to more and more people.

On the way to victory, it was tough. The greatness of McLaren was innovation, breaking the limit. It was the first team to apply carbon fiber to a F1 car. At first, people had their doubts about carbon fiber, but McLaren knew that one must challenge the impossible to become a legend. After hundreds of hundreds of tests, they did it – the McLaren MP4/1, the first Formula One car to use a monocoque chassis wholly manufactured from carbon fiber composite, something that later became an industry standard.

OnePlus is famous for innovation too. The bamboo back design on OnePlus One, industrial first 3D Anti-Glare glass design on OnePlus 6, the first 90 Hz Fluid Display on OnePlus 7 Pro. People were impressed with every innovation brought by OnePlus, which only strengthened the brand.

Inside McLaren, we saw our very selves. So, we chose to work with McLaren. And impressed by the leading performance and design, McLaren found itself in OnePlus. Seeing how the two brands are alike, we worked even closer together this time, to craft the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition.

2. Liehjan
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2019

Liehjan , Oct 21, 2019 :
    I really love the idea of a McLaren collab, but the McLaren edition should be something really special... This time it's only a different color of the 7Tpro

Fingers crossed for a better phone next year :)

3. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Oct 21, 2019

gaster , Oct 21, 2019 :
    As a McLaren fan and a owner of the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition, I really like the way you are collaborate with McLaren guys and providing the limited edition variants. I hope this will be continue every year.

But next time I believe you should use a new technology in the McLaren Edition that it will prepare users to understand what's coming in the next future OnePlus devices. Like it happened with the 6T McLaren Warp Charge 30 :) All the best and thanks for the post Eric. Have a great week everyone.

4. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2019

Shuller , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Now all OP7T Pro seem to be McLaren, only with cheap Painting :D

I agree with above guys... going with a supper car in parallel I would add something that would make to feel the difference, and that is in reference to the power , speed and so on.

Next time ask me for some ideas :D

Cheers,

5. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2019

Impersonal , Oct 21, 2019 :
    The 6T McLaren Edition was so amazing, that anything that fallows is "meah" at best, just a personal opinion, don't take it to serious, I get why a fallow up is great on paper, the 6T McLaren Edition really was AWESOME, many people missed out only because it sold out, that's a statement in itself, also the 7pro is a marvelous, well received, device, that (as I said a few times already) will probably be picked "phone" of the year overall...
    The case for the 7TPro McLaren is absolutely magnificent, hope it will be sold separately...
    I liked most of the colabs special edition OP devices, Star-wars, Avengers, McLaren... not to diss on anyone, but why Settle, a truly nice, new and fresh colab, I enjoyed this year was by the sister company Oppo, Reno FC Barcelona Edition, I'm sure there are other brands that also capture the Never Settle mentality besides McLaren (which in itself is a very exclusive brand, while OP is for the people)
    I would like to see a Community Edition OnePlus device, or a Anniversary LineageOS (ex CyanogenMod) throwback edition, or a PUGB edition (since another sister company Vivo is very involved in mobile gaming, so the network is already there), or even a India edition since it's OnePlus biggest market, think of all the colors...

That being said, after actually reading @Eric L. well written article, that has a lot of insight, of course I'm thinking of buying a 7Tpro McLaren Edition...

6. ronnyhawks
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 21, 2019

7. rameshshreyas

rameshshreyas , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Oh yes a community edition! I wonder what all would it include.
    Ooo maybe it would have your ranking in the community, the posts made, and threads created or something.

8. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Oct 21, 2019

Impersonal , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Hahah yeah, that would be something else for sure !

9. Prof.ashutosh

Prof.ashutosh , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 21, 2019 :
    McLaren 7T Pro packaging is not as good as compared to McLaren 6T Edition. Surprise factor was missing in the latest one. Also the case cover wasn't so great wow factor (as it was tried by hiding it within the bottom of the box). Still McLaren edition 6t packaging was far better than the present one.

10. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Oct 21, 2019

Cheetosdust , Oct 21, 2019 :
    I read this like "as a McLaren owner" for a split second :eek::cool:

11. GeNiUs5
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

12. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Oct 21, 2019

gaster , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Haha. I wish you could be true about me buddy :D

Starcommander and Cheetosdust like this.

14. malidan
    Marshmallow Oct 21, 2019

malidan , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Steady on mate don't get carried away, the claims you made are so not true.

IPad
    Sony
    ROG

Renaming stuff doesn't make you first.

15. Naveen2959
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2019

Naveen2959 , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Most of my friends are using OnePlus phones but I'm the first one among my group got the McLaren edition really awesome.. The performance of the phone is absolutely great..

16. Ant91
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2019

17. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 6T Midnight Black , Oct 21, 2019 :
    I love the concept of a "special edition", particularly on the OnePlus 6T Maclaren edition. This time wasn't so good... Maybe becouse we already "see it" something similar last year... The package it's a little "poor".... Missing something
    ... I don't know... This time it's just the color?! You just think in something really different... For example the phones signed by the f1 drivers from Maclaren or by Pete from OnePlus or someone from the community forum's, numbered phones just like all the limited editions, offering a Maclaren car in scale for example. This isn't a destroying post... Just an opinion from a user that loves booth brand's. "Never Settle"

Messagepads likes this.
  18. pmfeijoo
    Donut Oct 21, 2019

meatandy and S1556326855904 like this.

meatandy likes this.
  20. jayaprakashpollachi
    Honeycomb Oct 22, 2019

jayaprakashpollachi , Oct 22, 2019 :
    6 T mclaren display and OPPO k1 display are same and op 7 display too .just by increasing by Ram n rom and placing them fancy box u sold it for very high price.