Deep Dive: Exploring Bullets Wireless 2's sound quality

1. Jaden C.
    Accessories Product Manager Staff Member Dec 2, 2019

Jaden C. , Dec 2, 2019 :
    BW2 DD.png

Hi there,

Today, I'm quite happy to share with you a quick chat I had with OnePlus' sound engineer, Mr. Liang. Mr. Liang had participated in the whole development process of Bullet Wireless 2. This interview focuses on the details regarding the development process, sound quality, and the fine-tuning that went on to produce the finely-balanced sound we enjoy on Bullets Wireless 2.

Compared with Bullet Wireless, we can say Bullet Wireless 2 has a huge improvement in the sound quality, how did you achieve that?
    ‘Yes, in the product-definition phase, we wanted to bring a really good pair of earphones to people. First, we asked ourselves what do we associate with good earphones?

The first thing is it must have good sound quality. We conducted multiple rounds of research and decided to use dual moving irons with one coil which could have a rich middle frequency, high definition of high frequency, but this led to one very obvious issue: the lack of bass with a tone that is not very bright. In order to satisfy the tastes of most young people, we took a high-end wireless earphone as the bass benchmark, so the aim is to keep the clarity of the moving irons and make bass deeper.’

How to define the audio structure and how to select the moving irons when you decided to use dual moving irons and single coil?
    ‘As we decided to use dual moving irons and single coil, we started to select moving iron. At the beginning, we chose the Knowles balanced armature driver with a high-end moving iron earphone. But in our tuning process, we found it was very hard to suit our coil, since there is an obvious gap between middle frequency and treble.

To solve this problem, we communicated with Knowles several times and they recommend a better solution which is made of two ultrahigh frequency drivers. In order to have deeper bass, we compared over 10 kinds of solutions and improved the vibrating diaphragm into thinner 5μm PEEK composite, for deeper F0 bass, we changed copper clad aluminum wire into oxygen-free copper wire. For the balance between comfort and sound quality, we adjusted the structure more than 5 times.’

As we know that, except for the structure, tuning is also a very important process for earphones, is there any experience that you can share with us?
    ‘Firstly, frequency dividing circuit adjustment is an important step in the tuning process. We use dual capacitance to constitute the frequency dividing circuit instead of traditional one capacitance to give more precise control.

Because the moving iron is very sensitive, working out how to lower the background noise was also a challenge for us. To control the background noise, we used two ways to solve this issue. The first was the software patch to help restrain production of current noise. The second was to add series resistance to reduce the noise.

And another improvement that many other companies may ignore is the leak-profess of earbuds which would have an effect on the bass, so for the best result we adjusted this many times until we got a result that met the high demands of the whole team. Finally, we use EQ to fine tune the tone to have better sound balance and deeper bass.’

2. YRJ
    Lollipop Dec 2, 2019

YRJ , Dec 2, 2019 :
    The BW2 threads continue to grow in number, and they are getting Louder too! :p
    Keep up the good work :D

3. eliamarisio
    Gingerbread Dec 2, 2019

4. eye842
    Lollipop Dec 2, 2019

sandi_developer and G_plusone like this.
  6. drummer79
    Froyo Dec 3, 2019

drummer79 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 3, 2019 :
    And the 7 Family!

sandi_developer and G_plusone like this.
  7. eliamarisio
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2019

8. karthik yadawad
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  10. meatandy
    Oreo Dec 3, 2019

meatandy , Dec 3, 2019 :
    At the $99* dollar price tag , They should be truly wireless headphones.

11. Starcommander
    Lollipop Dec 3, 2019

Starcommander , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Are you sure about that
    Anyways I wrote about sound quality in my review. I really, really, really liked it!

Kytharsis and G_plusone like this.
  12. Tax_Mny
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  13. HirenThakor
    Froyo Dec 3, 2019

ricomag21, Bharath1106 and G_plusone like this.
  14. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Dec 3, 2019

G_plusone , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Thanks for another amazing deepdive of the Bullets Wireless 2 @Jaden C.
    It is great to know all that thought processes that went into the making of the Bullets Wireless 2 .
    Keep up the good work on the next iteration
    Next iteration MKBHD :p

Kytharsis likes this.
  15. V1540363683824
    Eclair Dec 3, 2019

16. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2019

Impersonal , Dec 3, 2019 :
    I've already said what I have to say on the privious 4 official threads about the bw2, that came out in the last month or so....

17. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2019

18. raomohit2001
    Eclair Dec 3, 2019

raomohit2001 , via OnePlus 6 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Hey!

I have been using the bullets wireless 2 for about 6 months now.
    These are pretty good earphones and considering the value/price ratio these are unbeatable.
    The sound quality is absolutely amazing.

You know one problem which I am facing with these is that the noise cancellation on these is very poor.
    When I am on a call on my handset, the noise cancelling is pretty good but when I use these for calls, I receive too many complaints about background noises.

Also what I think is that the field of capture of this mic is very large which should be less. Person on call with me can hear the voice of a person who is standing 10 metres away from me.

I am giving this feedback because I think this is a flagship product from OnePlus and you guys market this with Qualcomm CVC noise cancellation which is not good.

So please look into the matter and try to do something for your consumers.

Vamsi438, sanjayhuda and marinobiagio like this.
  19. RAKESH J R
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2019

RAKESH J R , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Guys i have one question .. i am using Oneplus Bullets wireless 2 with my OP3T , would it sound better when i upgrade a better phone ? does the new phones like OP7pro OP7T make the music experience better on these ??

If it were a wired earphones its easier to tell based on DAC provided or the chipset used , but this is audio over Bluetooth, and OP3T supports AptXHD so i am not sure if i will have a better experience when i move over to OP8 or something.

20. Q1533267302737
    Cupcake Dec 3, 2019

Q1533267302737 , via OnePlus 7 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    the bullet wirless 2 price more high and the bass is low i think it's better invention for next update bullet 3 bass lover and good sound quality and Lower price.