Deep Dive - OnePlus Band Design

1. Eric L.
    Product Manager Staff Member Jan 11, 2021

Eric L. , Jan 11, 2021 :
    2160-1040.jpg

Hi Community friends,

With the release of the OnePlus Band in India, we wanted to share a deeper dive with all our community. As our first-ever smart wearable device, it packs key features into a highly compact and stylish form factor. These include a dedicated blood oxygen sensor, continuous sleep monitoring, and dedicated exercise modes. This deeper dive will focus on the vibrant design language, providing key insights into the behind-the-scenes thinking of the ID (Industrial Design) team here at OnePlus.

04 (1).jpg

Alongside the many functional benefits and features provided by the powerful OnePlus Band, one of the key goals of our ID team was to achieve a good balance among key intangibles: usage-versatility, refined ergonomics, and comfort. These define the overall OnePlus Band experience.

Form and function
    Crucially, we had to take into account a wide range of potential usage scenarios – from casual/formal occasions, urban settings, fitness, to swimming and sleeping. Simply put, OnePlus designers had to ensure the OnePlus Band seamlessly blends function and form.
    02 (1).jpg

The main tracker unit comes with an understated and versatile dark-toned band strap (Gray and Black). The color styling choice is a great fit for most usage cases. However, design teaches us that anything worn on the wrist is naturally considered to be a style accessory, communicating and amplifying the style and image of the wearer. Consistent with this thinking, our accessory band straps (sold separately) provide additional colorway options to transform your original styling to even more expressive and premium fashion styles.

These colorways include distinctive Navy as well as the energetic Tangerine Gray – both are ideal picks for sports, fitness and street style.
    05 (1).jpg

The language of color
    Our research informed us that almost all band straps are single-tone, and too bright, dark or dull in color. The direction we took addressed this oversight, creatively transforming the user experience. In short, our design team was determined to rewrite the rules using the following goals:
    • Simplify the user experience for added convenience
    • Personalize the experience using color psychology
    • Inject youthfulness to convey always being ready and active
    • The strap design and colorways boldly express our Never Settle vision
    Reflecting the interaction between mood and color, the dual-tone Tangerine Gray band strap in particular creates a dramatic and compelling contrast. The difference between the gray and bright tangerine on the band’s underside is bold and striking. This combination exudes a charismatic positivity and energy in the wearer – both outwardly and in terms of personality. At the same time, the wearer retains the flexibility and convenience of using the band in more formal settings, maximizing its overall versatility. With OnePlus Band straps, standing out is now as easy as stepping out.

Style that matters
    In choosing these vibrant color tones and cues, our in-house design team wanted to make it effortless to dynamically create mix and match combos with modern fashion wear. This opens up more contemporary, high-end fashion options complementing the latest street fashion and sneaker trends.

03 (1).jpg

To add even more refinement, we etched compelling and provocative concave and convex patterns and motifs into the strap. This has two benefits: first, it provides visual freshness and dynamic energy continually revitalizing the product; second, it maintains the contemporary and bold experience expected of the OnePlus Band. This echoes the OnePlus ‘burdenless’ design philosophy, our commitment to create powerful technology that provides clear benefits while being effortless to use.

Moreover, the precise sculpting and craftsmanship to create the strap decals significantly reduces the amount of TPU material used. This reduces the overall weight of the band, significantly enhancing the comfort and making it ideal for long-term wear. This is especially important as a single battery charge lasts up to 14 days of use, and key features such as the continuous blood oxygen saturation monitoring requires the user to wear the band during sleep.
    01 (1).jpg

Future direction
    Looking ahead, we ensured that the detachable design of the main tracker would offer future expandability. Third party manufacturers will be able to create exciting band strap accessories for the OnePlus Band, each with their own unique mood and tone. This allows even more options to change up your style.

We hope our brief overview helps you to better understand the benefits and versatility of the dual-tone straps, the choice of material, and the expandability of OnePlus Band. If you have any further queries, please do drop your question into the comments below.

2. Leo X.
    Community Team Staff Member Jan 11, 2021

Stickied Post

3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 11, 2021 :
    Ohh that's a nice and informative thread!
    So this is the thread @Leo X. was talking about. Anyways, I am thinking of buying this from User Festival Voucher😉
    I had few questions - Does the screen touch act abnormally if water or sweat comes on the screen or is it resistant to that?
    Are the grooves on the strap for any specific function like water or sweat passthrough or just for aesthetics and ergonomics?
    And,
    Can the band be survive certain accidental damages like accidently grazing the Wall while cycling or if a tennis ball by mistake hits the screen?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021

4. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Jan 11, 2021

Joffy_Jose and vijay.kumar354 like this.
  5. drmartin
    Lollipop Moderator Jan 11, 2021

6. DarshanMeniya
    Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2021

7. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Jan 11, 2021

YRJ , Jan 11, 2021 :
    Hello @Eric L. ,

Thanks for the deep dive!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the band is an excellent addition to OnePlus's product portfolio and I believe it is a step in the right direction, one that would act as a building block of the OnePlus ecosystem! Tying in all of this together to ensure unparalleled experience and seamless connectivity.

While this is a welcome move, I cannot help but wondering why OnePlus wasn't artistic enough, to experiment with bolder designs, something that feels distinctly of and by OnePlus?
    Every other Smart band seems to look the same and while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, I've come to think of OnePlus as a brand that does things differently. So moving forward I hope you will not hesitate to experiment and come up with something different that further strengthens the company's never settle Mantra.

However, I'm glad that the OnePlus band exists, just a few points I hope will be taken into consideration for the future iterations. Congratulations to the entire team on this new addition.

Cheers!

8. VeDxnTa
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jan 11, 2021

VeDxnTa , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jan 11, 2021 :
    @Eric L. The band is a stepping stone for OnePlus's Fitness Product Line. I am deeply grateful to be able to provide inputs to the product team . I hope this product motivates everyone to concentrate on their health and achieve their goals!

9. Starcommander

10. Nipu_1998
    Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2021

11. patel.jay
    Cupcake Jan 11, 2021

12. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Jan 11, 2021

13. Starcommander

Starcommander , Jan 11, 2021 :
    If you pour filtered water, there is no mistouch.
    However, with sea water, sweat or bor well waters, mis touch does occur.

14. Starcommander

Starcommander , Jan 11, 2021 :
    IMG_20210104_123011__01.jpg

Sad violin plays in background 🥲

15. yashwant24

yashwant24 , Jan 11, 2021 :
    You're welcome Santa Leo. Actually I would thank you guys for giving me this opportunity. I really had good time interacting with everyone.

16. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Jelly Bean Jan 11, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 11, 2021 :
    Oh so the suspended particles interact with the screen, I see....so sweat will be a problem!
    That's the worst thing that can happen to a fitness tracker😭

17. Cakepips
    User of the Year 2020 Jan 11, 2021

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jan 11, 2021 :
    Interesting insight @Eric L. !
    Personally like the look of the blue one... Never thought about the customisable straps as you can pop the pebble out.

(Btw you could totally do a design a strap contest btw. It calls for it. You could probably be able to doodle the straps too. 😉)

Shout out to the assessories testers and Online OEF peeps! 👏🏻☺️

18. ShreyasPatil_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 11, 2021

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021

19. yashwant24

yashwant24 , Jan 11, 2021 :
    I used it pretty bad and didn't find a single scratch, unlucky @Starcommander

20. JelleZon

JelleZon , Jan 11, 2021 :
    It was a pleasure to help improving this awesome product!🔥
    IMG_20210111_095425.jpg