Deep Dive: The story behind Olive Green

1. Jaden C.
    Accessories Product Manager Staff Member Nov 14, 2019

Jaden C. , Nov 14, 2019 :
    BW2 Deep Dive.png

Dear OnePlus fans,

Today, I would like to share the story behind one of our products.

As some of you may know, we launched Bullet Wireless 2 Olive Green alongside the 7T Series in September this year. It is a new step for OnePlus accessories. As the product manager, I want to tell you a bit more about how this new color came to be.

The story begins with a trip to Europe in August. Just before that I had been working hard for quite a long time so I wanted to take a vacation. As someone deeply interested in design, particularly the European style, I decided to visit Germany to experience both the culture and nature.

This was the second time I travelled to Germany and nature is always something I chase.

I went to a place called Koenigssee. The landscape impressed me greatly.

It is hard to use one word to describe the world. Nevertheless, color must play some part in our descriptions. Thinking back, the color that overwhelmingly stood out to me from that trip was green. It was not shiny or dazzling but it gave me a calm feeling—which is exactly what I was seeking. I was lucky to find another Shangri-La and I wanted to bring this feeling back to the office.

This year, our team wanted to create a new color, with a trendy feeling.

Our intention behind the product is to give more choice for customers with different aesthetic preferences. Selecting a color that satisfies everyone is not easy, especially in OnePlus, as the whole team really lives by #NeverSettle—even when we choose colors. This process is quite hard, we had 3 rounds of selection and around 30 colors in total. We needed to define the best and the most suitable one for our users.

When I saw the various colors, it made me recall the days I spent in Koenigssee. I hoped to bring something natural to OnePlus users and this was my chance. From then, I was always thinking Green, and what it meant to me.

Green is something, for me, that represents the essence of nature. This gave me the inspiration to have a deep exploration of that color. We found that green is currently a trendy color. In addition, this is the first time we tried to offer something fashionable for our users. Among the team, we wanted to create a Nordic style for this new color edition. We wanted some neutral color suitable for both male and female, and we also wanted to create something that represents a certain lifestyle, not just a pair of earphones.

When we did color matching, fashion trends were the reference points, but actually we found out that producing many prototype iterations was more effective, as a physical product allowed us to make a better choice. This gave us all the evidence needed to support our decision.

Furthermore, the metal part is brighter and shinier, which matches the whole deep color feeling. While caring about the color, we also equally cared about the quality of the materials and how they look in different scenarios and lighting conditions.

In my mind, 2019 has been a colorful year, for me color equals youth and, hopefully, the Bullet Wireless 2 Olive Green version can add some youth to your life and refresh your thoughts about earphones.

2. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Nov 14, 2019

Cheetosdust , Nov 14, 2019 :
    I can't be the only one who read this title as "Deep Dive: The story behind Olive Garden". o_O

3. cdnfarmer
    KitKat Nov 14, 2019

cdnfarmer , Nov 14, 2019 :
    The green is nice and subtle. My body doesn't say it feels younger :cool::) but it's a nice change from the black without a screaming bright colour.

Hope you had a great rest of your trip in Koenigssee. Look like a beautiful place. A place to go visit.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019

5. meatandy
    Oreo Nov 14, 2019

meatandy , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Bullets will add some youth to my life when you send them to me.
    I think you're hungry for olives.:p

6. Starcommander
    Lollipop Nov 14, 2019

Starcommander , Nov 14, 2019 :
    The olive green is dope AF!
    Review will soon be uploaded once my exam finishes.
    Screenshot_20191114-162901.jpg

7. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Nov 14, 2019

gaster , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Hi Jaden,

I personally like this color. Looks different and cool compared to the original one. Also with the OnePlus Explorer Backpack Morandi Green, it fits super! Thanks for sharing this post.

8. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Nov 14, 2019

Cheetosdust , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Hah, if you think about it, Olive Garden is to Italian cuisine what Olive Green is to Midnight Green, so it all adds up. :rolleyes:

9. YRJ
    Marshmallow Nov 14, 2019

YRJ , Nov 14, 2019 :
    I would love a ceramic white finish tbh!
    Anywho, good job with the new color.

10. Starcommander
    Lollipop Nov 14, 2019

B.I.T.S., G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  11. Abhishek654
    Gingerbread Nov 14, 2019

Abhishek654 , Nov 14, 2019 :
    I personally like black is more suitable than any color .Black suites with any of the oneplus device .
    and the best thing about these Bullets are the battery WHAT AN AMAZING BATTERY BACK-UP .
    MIND BLOWING .!!

12. YRJ
    Marshmallow Nov 14, 2019

Starcommander likes this.
  13. thoma_hawk
    Gingerbread Nov 14, 2019

thoma_hawk , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Thanks for the story. I wondered why this was launched with the T series, since it wasn't blue or grey.
    Now that I think about it, this color ticks lot of boxes. However, I would love to have a full matte bud (love the look of RHA trueconnects) with a grey/black case rather than the red one.

G_plusone likes this.
  14. Prof.ashutosh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 14, 2019

Prof.ashutosh , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Olive Green is a soft soothing colour. I was waiting for the Black and red wire combinations as in the case of Bullet Wireless 1. The red one looks too cool.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  15. StopItRawr
    Honeycomb Nov 14, 2019

StopItRawr , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Well, for a counter opinion, I think it looks awful.

Now, a purple variation? Now you're talking.

16. Ambrosious
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2019

G_plusone likes this.
  17. otto2
    Lollipop Nov 14, 2019

otto2 , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Hello @Jaden C. Nice to hear, that you had a great time in Germany, have been at Königssee many years ago, but still remember that wonderful place. Feel free to contact someone of the german community, i m pretty Sure we will love to show you more great places in our country. (Mind to post some of your memories in the travel thread?)

Greetings from Germany,
    Otto

PS. : I like the olive colour, too.

18. jhfernandez80
    Gingerbread Nov 14, 2019

G_plusone and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  19. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Nov 14, 2019 :
    I understand your ideia but for me I think this color isn't that what the majority of the community was expected to see. Me for example just buy it the black ones. For releasing other colors I expected to be red or orange papaya from Maclaren ...becouse OnePlus is all about speed... The OnePlus have the sales numbers to compare the both colors, but I think the black ones will sell a lot more. "Never Settle"
    1573738964488.jpg

20. Prof.ashutosh
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 14, 2019

Prof.ashutosh , via OnePlus 7T , Nov 14, 2019 :
    Yes, the Mclaren edition Bullet wireless 2 would be great.

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.