Default Files app by Google? via OnePlus Nord 2

1. Lupsoris
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

Lupsoris , via OnePlus Nord 2 , Dec 4, 2021 :
    Hello,

Even when I had my 9 Pro, and therefore currently on my Nord 2, I notice that by default is installed an application "Files" by Google, but it's not the normal Files application that we find on the Play Store.
    Except that I noticed on the Nord 2 that I couldn't find this application in the list of my normal applications to open it.
    It's only after uninstalling the updates that the application was found in the list and that I could open it.

In the settings of the application, it's
    impossible to do anything, not even force the shutdown.

And after uninstalling the updates, the Play Store didn't even tell me to update it again... so the application doesn't even exist in the Play Store? Impossible to update it?

And finally, what is this application?

Thank you,
    Lupsoris - Aleyxandre

(Sorry if the screenshot is in French)
    1638608517453.jpg

2. Aaron2017
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Dec 4, 2021

Aaron2017 , Dec 4, 2021 :
    Hi, there used to be 2 file managers, the default one from OnePlus and one from Google which comes with Android itself. Now Google's file manager has been replaced with "files by Google", that should be installed on your phone as well instead of Google's file manager.

Caomhin and Bobbie63 like this.
  3. Lupsoris
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

I also have the Files application installed on my phone, I actually have both.
    But why this one?
    And if I still want to use it, how can I update it again?
    Because I noticed that in the OnePlus application and the new Files, it's impossible to access the Data under the Android folder, where I sometimes need to go.
    Only this old application allows it..

4. Aaron2017

Wait, you still have Google file manager on your phone? On my phone it got removed and replaced with the latest update i got. I don't think you can use it anymore as it's been replaced with files by Google. To access Android>data in internal storage you can use a third party file manager that does still have access to it. I use CX file explorer, that file manager can still access the Android>data folder in internal storage

Caomhin and Bobbie63 like this.
  5. Lupsoris
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

Normally I don't have access to this application, but it was already installed by default (with the new one too).
    I had to uninstall the updates in order to get access in the normal list of applications.
    But now, since it doesn't exist in the Play Store, I don't know how to update it.

6. Aaron2017

Yeah, that app is discontinued and doesn't exist anymore so you can't update or use it anymore. Did you transfer apps and all from your 9 pro to your Nord 2 from back up? If so, that could explain why it's still on your phone

Caomhin likes this.
  7. Lupsoris
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

No, I didn't even use a cloud backup, I started from scratch with this phone.
    But as a result, this application isn't up to date in my phone since I just uninstalled the updates ^^`

8. Aaron2017

Weird, it shouldn't even be there anymore.
    But it should have the same functionality as the previous file manager from Google though.

Caomhin likes this.
  9. Lupsoris
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

So I hope the app will update with Android later then ^^`

10. Aaron2017

My guess it'll be just removed, same as on other devices. I don't think it'll get updated as the app doesn't exist anymore
    Found this on Google's forum, for pixels it was replaced with files by Google back in 2019 it seems
    https://support.google.com/pixelpho...date-to-android-11-today-is-this-normal?hl=en
    You can however try to install this latest version i could find on APK mirror to see if it will work
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...e-10-release/files-10-3-android-apk-download/

Caomhin and Lupsoris like this.
  11. Lupsoris
    Cupcake Dec 4, 2021

Thanks to you! :D

Aaron2017 likes this.
  12. Aaron2017

Caomhin likes this.