Delete or reduce duplicate contacts?

1. tanm1000
    Froyo Jul 29, 2014

tanm1000 , Jul 29, 2014 :
    is there a way to reduce or delete duplicate contact easily aside from deleting one at a time

leningbueso likes this.
  2. kp1234
    KitKat Community Expert Jul 29, 2014

3. tanm1000
    Froyo Jul 29, 2014

4. aniruddha.mehta
    Cupcake Jan 21, 2015

5. athorne1974
    Cupcake Jan 29, 2015

athorne1974 , Jan 29, 2015 :
    It depends on what type of duplicate contacts you have, what caused them in the first place. My point is that, "An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure".

In my case, I used 'outlook-android sync' app but got un-deletable duplicates for every WhatsApp match. The problem was probably caused by a write-lock conflict between the outlook sync app & WhatsApp Messenger trying to do its own sync as soon as the new contacts appeared.

Steps to get around the conflict:
    1) Wipe the Contacts Store data so I could start from fresh - see my instructions in thread titled: "Deleting Contacts".
    2) Disable WhatsApp from syncing with contacts, both from account control & using privacy guard to temporarily remove update permissions to Contacts data - ask if you need detailed instructions.
    3) Reboot > run outlook-android sync > reboot > restore WhatsApp sync & write permissions > force a WhatsApp re-sync > check results in Contacts

6. oojafink
    Jelly Bean Jan 29, 2015

oojafink , Jan 29, 2015 :
    You can manage dupes through google contacts. It's how I deal with most iUsers when they move to android and have manually started re-entering their contacts and I'm like "wait! there is a much easier way!"

7. djcoolguyno1
    Froyo Jan 29, 2015

8. athorne1974
    Cupcake Jan 30, 2015

athorne1974 , Jan 30, 2015 :
    Replying to oojafink (with apologies for getting out-of-thread):

Agreed... use the tools already provided by the supplier of the operating system & contacts app themselves. However, there are trade-offs. The key disadvantage is that you put the security of your private data in others' hands. If a nation state decided to hack google they might succeed (while Sony is not a technology company like google, the prize to the hackers would be huge and so justify the greater effort. I personally do not want google to have all my private data & use other tools from play store, as suggested earlier, to keep my private data on my device & safely encrypted locally under my control.

It's a choice: convenience vs. data security.

9. Steven crowder
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2016

Steven crowder , Apr 6, 2016 :
    Hey Tanm1000, I had similar problem. I ended up using Mergix app. Would really recommend to google it. What I liked most is that there is an option to review contacts before the merge. Also no install was required.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

10. alanjones
    Cupcake May 9, 2016

alanjones , May 9, 2016 :
    In this situation, you can take help of user-friendly tool named as Kernel for Outlook Duplicates that can quickly remove all kinds of duplicate items like emails, contact, task, calendar, and etc.User can get more information, about this topic, click on: http://www.outlook.duplicateemailremover.net

11. johnberrys
    Cupcake May 17, 2016

johnberrys , May 17, 2016 :
    Best Outlook Duplicates Remover Tool which is a powerful and flexible plug-in for Microsoft Outlook intended for the search and processing of duplicates in Microsoft Outlook folders.It quickly removes duplicates from Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes and Email folders in one click. You can select any folder for removing duplicates. It helps you to use Outlook much more efficiently. See more: http://www.mannatsoftware.com/stellar-phoenix-outlook-duplicate-remover.html

12. kvaju
    Froyo May 17, 2016

kvaju , May 17, 2016 :
    For me, I store and sync all my contacts with google.

And the most easy way is to go from PC to gmail, contacts, merge duplicats.

After that all my contacts are sync to my phone as they should.

CaneDrew likes this.
  13. CaneDrew
    Gingerbread May 17, 2016

CaneDrew , May 17, 2016 :
    Google has a Contacts Preview. Can't remember how I signed up for it off the top of my head, but it's found here: https://contacts.google.com/u/0/preview/all

The find duplicates feature in this release is amazing and helped me quickly clean up my contacts.

14. ans_lemo
    Cupcake Jun 8, 2016

ans_lemo , Jun 8, 2016 :
    To remove duplicate items from your Outlook PST file, you can try an easy manual trick. Also, you can avoid receiving duplicate items in your PST files. Most of the time, people recommend you third-party paid solutions. But instead of purchasing such paid professional tools, you can try the easy manual trick shared in the blog post linked below:

Smart Way to Remove Outlook Duplicates with Ease | N. Sem's Blog

I hope this would be helpful for you. Must use the manual trick before you can try any paid software. If it fails, then you can take help of such professional solution.

Thanks and best regards.

15. JustinHansen
    Cupcake Apr 30, 2018

16. PeterGrew
    Cupcake Aug 21, 2019

PeterGrew , Aug 21, 2019 :
    I would like to suggest Shoviv Outlook Duplicate Remover Software to remove duplicate in MS Outlook. The tool for removing duplicate data from Outlook PST files amazingly works for batch operation. It simply allows you to use it for removal of duplicate emails, attachments, calendars, contacts, notes etc from multiple folders of Outlook at one go without slowing down the performance.