Design a coach jacket together: The Rebel that got away

1. Cakepips
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 26, 2020

Cakepips , Sep 26, 2020 :
    Oneplus jacket images-01.jpg

Hi everyone!

As the title suggests, I thought I’d make a behind the scenes thread about my jacket that was voted by you, the community, in the initial ‘Design a coach jacket together’ contest as well as what it ended up looking like in the end!

Before I dive into this journey, a quick note: due to not winning the final voting showdown between the final two coach jackets designs, this isn’t available to get or buy… that I know of. You’ll be able to obtain the official OnePlus Community jacket (Jigsaw) through some form of ‘Community Activity’ here on the forums… so keep an eye out for that when it appears!

I’d also like to take the time to thank everyone who voted for my design. From the OnePlus team selecting my design be in the top 8 and all the community support over the past few months. This is something unique that I’d never thought of doing, let alone getting. And for that reason, I’m forever grateful to this passionate community.

Psst… why have you named it Rebel?

In the addition magazine, an article came up about OnePlus’s design philosophy which was released the same time as the top 8 voting. @Hope L. mentions that:

'In 2018, we summed up OnePlus’s design philosophy as simple, rational,
    elegant with a focus on refined textures, but slightly rebellious.'

When I read this, I suddenly realised a bit of hidden inspiration behind my design and made me realise why they chose it. I had kept it a simple design and, which some community members feedback, it looked like something rebellious someone would wear. It weirdly fitted this philosophy of not going with the norm and being different from the rest. So everything about it fitted, to me, perfectly with the philosophy.

By the way, If you manage to get the community jacket, let us know below!
    It can be the official community jacket or, if you are lucky somehow, my jacket.
    Also, if you have any questions, ask away! I’ll be happy to answer them.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020

2. Cakepips

Oneplus jacket images-02.jpg

It was June 2020, the pandemic is raging on and I was stuck, bored in lockdown.

A unexpected message from my brother pops up on my phone:

a design contest? for a coach jacket? for OnePlus?

Curiosity got to me and I read the thread to see what it was about. Being the least fashionable person but knowing about the OnePlus brand since the first phone, I decided to jump in and give it a try.

I began searching about coach jackets as… well, you guessed it, I had no clue what they looked like. A noticeable theme occurred in my search: there was always a little front logo or design on the left chest, a part or full graphic on the back and something on one of the sleeves.

I highlighted the main areas to focus on from the brief, that needed to be included in:
    • Relevancy to the theme–‘We and OnePlus’ = Something that joined the community and OnePlus as one.
    • Creativity = Something beyond the norm.
    • Aesthetics –catering to Gen Z trend = Something that appealed to the Gen Z and the current targeted market.
    • The OnePlus logo had to feature on it.
    From here, I used the template, brand logos and colours they supplied to mess about with design of my jacket.

Oneplus jacket images-08.jpg
    Alternative colours of jacket
    For the colours: I almost opted for red being the main colour, as it prominent on OnePlus’ packaging. However, the brief mentions that the base colour of the jacket is black, meaning I had to keep the main body as black. I felt it needed something else and tried a few designs: one being the white of the sleeves cutting into the main body of the jacket. But again, I personally felt it needed to be kept a bit simple and have a little bit of design. I ended with the shard design, breaking up the main colours slightly and well as allowing it to be a little striking from a far.

Oneplus jacket images-07.jpg
    Inside jacket and end of drawstring
    To reference the fact that this is a community design and after having feedback from my brother, I put 'Designed by the OnePlus Community' in the inside along with the other logos. This was a little nod to what OnePlus put on the bottom of their packaging: ‘ Created together by our community’

In the end, I felt like this jacket needed to feel that anyone can wear it and that we are together was one identity. I didn’t want to over do it but wanted to make it different to the other coach jackets out there.

Oneplus jacket images-11.jpg
    Oneplus jacket images-16.jpg Oneplus jacket images-17.jpg
    Final Submission
    Fun Fact: I actually submitted a second design to the contest, because I didn’t think I had designed to the brief. Boy, I was wrong!

Oneplus jacket images-13.jpg Oneplus jacket images-14.jpg Oneplus jacket images-15.jpg

What came as a huge surprise was being selected out of 1200 entries to be in the final top 8! Over the next week, I nervously watched the voting poll, twitter poll and comments that were flooding in. I surprisingly lead the voting pack to begin with and, ending in a thrilling 2 hour finale, the top two designs were chosen.

And somehow, mine managed to make it!

3. Cakepips

Oneplus jacket images-18.jpg
    After officially becoming one of the final 2 winners, thanks to the community, the real challenge began: producing the jackets.

I was contacted by @Trista W. to connect with her and Donna, OnePlus Gear Product Manager, to discuss if there were any tweaks or changes that needed to be done that they had noticed.

Oneplus jacket images-04.jpg
    Oneplus jacket images-10.jpg Oneplus jacket images-09.jpg
    Altered jacket with white text

The first thing we discussed was the colours of the OnePlus logo. Something that wasn’t made clear to community during the design contest was that the OnePlus Branding states the logo should never be a red logo on a black background. For me and the other winner, we’d both done this unknowingly and I didn’t mind adjusting the logo to white because of this.

However, later in the discussion process, this was overturned and both jackets were given special permission from the creative team to use the red logo on black. I have a feeling this is a one off occasion, which will make both jackets unique, and that for any future design contests make sure to mention not to put the red OnePlus logo on black.

Oneplus jacket images-12.jpg
    Close up of the OnePlus Community logo

After having a conversation about the option of having a rectangle stitched patch, The OnePlus team wanted to ask if the Community Logo could be added. I said absolutely and asked if it could be a patch on the right sleeve. I knew people liked adding patches to their clothing/accessories which is why I felt making it a patch would not only add to the Gen Z trend but give an different element to the jacket. Also, adding the OnePlus Community logo meant that it was the first to feature the logo on a OnePlus merchandise*!

Lastly, I was asked if it was okay for the end logos on the drawstring of the jacket could be cancelled if it was too small. I said this was fine if it was impossible.

And with a final tweak to my Illustrator file, I sent it to the team and off to production proofing stage!

Oneplus jacket images-03.jpg

Oneplus jacket images-06.jpg Oneplus jacket images-05.jpg
    Updated jacket with final tweaks

As you might of seen on the Weekly Update 345, both jackets came back from production with their first proofs. When the thread went live, I didn’t know they were going to post it and I was surprised it in there! This was the first moment that made me realise it was now a real jacket!
    1595612221736.jpg 1595612211413.jpg 1595612217588.jpg
    From Weekly Update 345 - first proofs

I was told no further changes were needed for the jacket and I patiently waited to see what was going to happen next...

*that I’m aware of. Let me know if there was another item with the Community logo on it!

4. Cakepips

Oneplus jacket images-19.jpg

Before the final showdown was released onto the forums, I was informed about it and that they would be doing it because of production reasons. I agreed that this was ok but asked that whoever didn’t get picked, would still receive their jacket. @Trista W. confirmed that both of us would still get our jackets regardless of the outcome, which was a huge relief!

And so, like cowboys in a western, the voting began. After 80,000 votes from the forums and OnePlus’ social platforms, the Community crowned their final jacket!

no._1.png
    Final proof of the jacket
    Because I was pre-informed and knew I would get my designed jacket anyway, I calmly did what I could to try and get this jacket over the final, unexpected hurdle. Honestly, it saddens me not to see others wear it but maybe one day I won’t be the only one with his jacket… The world is full of surprises and I don’t believe it’s the end of it yet…

After a few weeks, I was asked about my American size and, with the trusting handover to @Zach X. and @Leo X. , was shipped to myself.​

And then it arrived... Meet Rebel.

IMG_20200921_170306-01.jpg IMG_20200921_170407-01.jpg IMG_20200921_170512-01-01.jpg IMG_20200921_163951-01.jpg IMG_20200921_163904-01.jpg
    To actually wear this jacket, something that I designed, is beyond surreal. I can now say that I designed a piece of clothing which was supported by the OnePlus community it was made for. And that brings me so much joy whenever I put it on or see it.

Few fun facts:
    • The size I’m wearing is a medium and fits perfectly. The sleeves are baggy but that’s the design of coach jackets.
    • I don’t think this has a IP rating but it feels it could be a little waterproof based on the material. Wouldn’t survive a full on British downpour though.
    • It’s surprisingly lightweight with a mesh inside the jacket body and sleeves
    • The pockets are surprisingly big, which can fit the OnePlus 7T Pro portrait for comparison (6.40 inches x 2.99 inches ). Could fit a A5 booklet if you wanted.
    • The shards on the arms are stitched, not printed. You can slightly see the overlap of the red under the white but only noticeable when very close.
    • It has poppers down the front of the jacket and the coverings on them are matt black.
    • The OnePlus Community logo is a stitched patch! And it’s a good size too, measuring 6cm width x 5.3cm height. It’s not going to come off anytime soon, its stitched right into the sleeve.
    • The ‘Never Settle’ is stitched, so technically it has settled in.
    • The OnePlus chest logo and back logo is printed on the jacket. This could go peel or go overtime if worn constantly.
    Obviously some of the elements of the jacket didn’t make the cut/ was tweaked more:
    • One being the OnePlus logo on the drawstring which has been replaced by a silver stopper.
    • The ‘designed by OnePlus Community’ writing inside of the jacket isn’t there, which is sad but understandable as it is a small space on the neck area.
    • The back of the jacket logo is grey instead of the first proof red. I’m guessing this was because of branding reasons or the OnePlus team felt it would look better this way.
    Overall, I can’t wait to wear this out and about, especially at the next offline event… whenever it is safe to do so. Because of the contest, I luckily get to go as a VIP! So If you see me, which will be easy to find in the crowd, feel free to come and say hi!

Once again, thanks to you, this has become a reality. And that, is something I’ll be forever, truly grateful for.

5. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 26, 2020

6. Cakepips

Thanks @G_plusone ! haha... you didn't let me finish posting the other bits!

Yeah same... maybe they'll do it down the line. Who knows!

7. yashwant24
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 26, 2020

8. buntycubal
    User of the Year 2017 Sep 26, 2020

buntycubal , Sep 26, 2020 :
    mCVYRozywdQlPsxFp1.gif

9. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Sep 26, 2020

YRJ , Sep 26, 2020 :
    This is absolutely fantastic, @Cakepips
    This looks even better IRL photos!

I said it before and I will say it again, I wish OnePlus would push both jackets for mass production but it's sad that there can only be one winner. Thank you for this thread showing us the transition of the jacket from ideation to final production. I have to admit, it's a proud moment to finally wear something you designed.

Eventhough this design didn't win, you should be proud of yourself. Don't let it throw you down, you're very talented and I wish you will explore designing in the future.
    Congratulations on being the sole owner of this masterpiece. It's unbelievable that you're the only one who's ever going to have this! :)

10. TheGadgetGirl
    The Lab - OnePlus 8T Reviewer Sep 26, 2020

TheGadgetGirl , Sep 26, 2020 :
    Thank you for a this thread, @Cakepips. Slightly, very slightly, makes up for the fact that this won't be the official one but we do get a first-hand experience from the creator herself!

The BTS and entire story behind it tells it must have been an awesome experience and learning for you.

Like you said, the world is full of surprises and even I don’t believe it’s the end of it yet. *Fingers Crossed!*

11. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Sep 26, 2020

G_plusone , Sep 26, 2020 :
    Sorry Cakepips Corrected it :p
    Great job with the thread and the design :cool:

12. asishgrwl
    Honeycomb Sep 26, 2020

asishgrwl , Sep 26, 2020 :
    :hearteyes:WOW:hearteyes:
    @Cakepips this is awesome.:)

Although we have a winner, but like many others, I too wish that the team decides to mass produce and sell both the designs and that we get to choose the one we wanna buy.:(

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020

13. Swatiranjan
    KitKat Sep 26, 2020

Swatiranjan , Sep 26, 2020 :
    It may not won the contest, but it won out hearts,
    There were 8 Jackets which were selected in the list and your's was at No7.
    We didn't know you by that time.
    Believe me, I just could see the difference between all and your's.
    There was another design which I liked was at No 5
    So I chose No 7 & No 5.
    I knew that your's is definitely going to be at top 2.

This was really so nicely designed, I was in love with this design.
    When the final 2 were selected, I liked both the design and wish both of them went into production.

Thanks for bringing the details here @Cakepips
    You did a fabulous job.
    Wish you all the best for all creative contests.
    I know you are going to do more magic with your creativity.
    SRD

14. Cakepips

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Sep 26, 2020 :
    Thanks everyone! [e]2665[/e]️[e]1f62d[/e]
    Hopefully people can use this as inspiration for the next challenge/contest... Hopefully they'll do more of these ones!
    Again, I don't think this is the last time we'll see it... Well, I personally hope not.
    All the love to everyone. [e]2665[/e]️

15. Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T Glacier Blue , Sep 26, 2020 :
    Thanks for sharing this with us my friend @Cakepips! As I already had the opportunity to say congratulations 🎊 you did an excellent job! I personally voted for yours because I like it better than the other, which won. They are tastes and that is not disputed! Thank you for your creativity!

16. Leo X.
    Community Trainee Staff Member Sep 27, 2020

Leo X. , Sep 27, 2020 :
    WOW, I didn't expect this jacket looks like this when I was handing it over to courier!
    I wish I can keep one for myself as well lol :p
    Great design! @Cakepips Any chance that I can get a duplicate one?

17. Cakepips
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 27, 2020

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Sep 27, 2020 :
    Hey @Leo X. ! [e]263a[/e]️

Thanks for sending it over! Dang, that secret huh!

Maybe ask @Zach X. as I generally don't know if they managed to print any more of this one on the sly! (Though there will be more of the official Community Jacket. More chance of getting that one)

I'm sure being Community Trainee you have some right to nab one... Right? [e]1f609[/e]

18. Leo X.
    Community Trainee Staff Member Sep 27, 2020

Leo X. , Sep 27, 2020 :
    But this jacket designed by you will be the one and only in the world as I know;)

19. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Sep 27, 2020

Batman360 , Sep 27, 2020 :
    @Cakepips you know I was rooting for you from rhe very first comment on the voting thread right? 🔥😉
    I soo wanted this design to win too🙈 You are one lucky person, be proud you are wearing a jacket that's 1 of 1 made by OnePlus 😍🔥 Next time we all are going to ping you if any design contest comes up😁

20. Dhruv Kashyap
    Honeycomb Sep 27, 2020

Dhruv Kashyap , Sep 27, 2020 :
    Exactly @Cakepips, you have got an exclusive from OnePlus, you are quite lucky! Congratulations!🔥🔥
    And who knows what lies ahead in the future😉😉