Designing the “Never Settle” phone.

1. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Nov 28, 2017

2. gauravm.67
    Froyo Nov 28, 2017

gauravm.67 , Nov 28, 2017 :
    I don't like the camera bump. Include it in the phone, slightly thicker phone with more battery is gladly acceptable.

3. Punk_69
    Lollipop Nov 28, 2017

Punk_69 , Nov 28, 2017 :
    . On renders or photos, many phones can look quite alike. The biggest difference you’ll feel when you actually take our device in hand, feel the perfectly arced corners, feel the horizon line. I hope that will help you realize what our design is all about.

This is where, I went even more crazy ...
    What the F was designed ?
    Now he's going off track by going to the internal stuff...

4. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Nov 28, 2017

Tobikage , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Just drink in the #Hype....

5. PARTHI_SaNjay
    Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

PARTHI_SaNjay , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Thats true feeling for me too...When i bought my 3T it looks very slim premium and beautiful and scared to hold in hand...my phone still slim and beautiful with spigen rugged armor case

youbi likes this.
  6. PARTHI_SaNjay
    Honeycomb Nov 28, 2017

PARTHI_SaNjay , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Oneplus 3/3T was the one of the best designed phones from Oneplus..and not a copy of oppo/vivo....even oneplus X also look like same as Vivo Y51L

rahulchaks likes this.
  7. Keshiji
    Gingerbread Nov 28, 2017

Keshiji , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Honest question here, you guys said design matters... but then I wonder, why do your models look like the ones from Oppo? Or you guys actually provide the design and Oppo just uses them?

rahulchaks likes this.
  8. Punk_69
    Lollipop Nov 28, 2017

Punk_69 , Nov 28, 2017 :
    The OnePlus 2 was unique too !
    It'd have been more popular if they selected better processors and stuff....
    I wish they make a revamped version of the op2 in future ..

Miratek, pa5t1s and rahulchaks like this.
  9. agoinfly
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2017

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

10. rajsanand
    Eclair Nov 28, 2017

rajsanand , Nov 28, 2017 :
    the biggest design flaw maybe it's only me, when I hit the power button to turn of the screen the volume button in the other side gets pressed and nothing happens
    got my first OP a 5T and i found this problem
    I have a habit of putting my thumb to the left as a support to press the power button with my first finger
    I face this problem of both buttons getting pressed
    even if I had been a tad higher or better if the lock button was at the same level as the power button it would be ideal

11. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Nov 28, 2017

pa5t1s , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Fine, thanks for the time you spend reading those 11 pages (so far)

Obviously, nobody's blind.

Bla bla bla #5T bla bla #hype bla bla.
    Those new 6" 18:9 panels are now available and then trendy amongst chinese phones. It's a marketing opportunity, not a 'design' choice.

Every phone manufacturer has the same kinds of problems/constraints. A few have chosen different solutions... That doesn't explain why, for example,
    - you didn't keep the back-centered position of the camera(s) like OP2 ?
    - you didn't put a smaller FPS at the bottom of the screen (I don't like that) ?
    That's what I'm interested in, speaking of 'design': what makes 'your' design different and better than competitors.

But, remember, you did it, back in the past, when OPO appeared in the chocolate-bar world of phones ;)
    OP2 was different too.
    The Alert Slider is a true innovation.
    Removable Style Swaps were an innovation... aso.

Then, innovate ;)
    When Xiaomi released the Mix, they had the same constraints, and therefore, they came with a 'unique' design, starting a trend. Samsung started the Infinity and curved-edge trend. Essential and Apple did a 'unique' design with their unusual screen notch. Gimmick? well, they all lie perfectly in hand too.

Bla bla bla.

Not really.

12. sethisidd
    Jelly Bean Nov 28, 2017

sethisidd , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Nice article. Good to know the whole thought process behind each phone. Would definately love to see the major prototypes. Looking forward fort another article with the details.

13. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2017

Maximus Decimus Meridius , Nov 28, 2017 :
    i dont mind having similar design. Only drawback for me is when it is claimed to have a 100% unique philosphy while they share a lot of resources. On the other hand. Its still design and you can always call it unique if you change 1 slightest thing. And if people are triggered in this society by being atarget on the market, you are really having a bad time.

Also, its not like a computer where you swap the cpu. You have to change things internally.
    Changing backplates will result in obligatory changes elsewhere to keep the unit compact (and efficiënt).

aren't there already clips where they "breakdown" these devices? Maybe not in 1 clip alltogether but im sure i saw a dissected 5T passing by.

To close with a quote: "When you say to you lover, 'you are one in a million', there are still 7000-8000 people exactly the same as her/him"

Punk_69, rarog, superplus and 2 others like this.
  14. Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Marshmallow Nov 28, 2017

pa5t1s likes this.
  15. pa5t1s

pa5t1s , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Depends on which came first in discussion ;)
    Does the 'Design' study required such a panel?
    Does the availability of the panel inferred the Design choice?

16. adityarikame
    Froyo Nov 28, 2017

adityarikame , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Agreed just an article written for marketing

17. lutti
    KitKat Nov 28, 2017

lutti , Nov 28, 2017 :
    One was a really beautiful phone but OnePlus has gone downhill from there. Hope we see something that looks as good as One did back in the days. Of course it's now common that people hide their phone into some stupid case but for some of us who don't the design is still important factor when choosing a phone.

18. youbi
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Nov 28, 2017

youbi , Nov 28, 2017 :
    They did talked about it. Probably when they released the op5. The camera sensor is a huge part and so it would make sense to put it in a place in the corners where it doesn't "obstructs" that much. The center position would be right on the middle of the phone, so then it would probably mean that you would need an even bigger camera bump.

Personally my biggest complain about that position is that you get the similar look to the one that started the trend (probably Apple, or at least they are the most known) and its hard to lose that impression by looking to the pics. But yeah, its a sort a cliche by now, but they do feel quite different in hands. :sweatsmile:

One other thing I don't really like about this camera placement is that the unwanted finger pics are really easy to happen. And forces you to do some changes on the way you hold the phone to prevent it for happening. I still remember that because of that, in the first weekend I had the op5 I drop it while taking some pics (from around 2m high, and into stone pavement :dizzy: ) and broke the top part of the phone. :coldsweat: Luckily it still worked fine and the screen wasn't affected, so I've been using it since them with the tempered glass that hides the accident. :sweat::sweatsmile:

I think they have said that they tried that also, but in the end the result probably wasn't that great and probably the opposite to the clear all screen fronts the market is getting now. The ideal solution would probably be the front under the screen FP sensor, but since that isn't ready yet I guess the back sensor and the face unlock for when you have the phone on the table can be a reasonable compromise.

Szymon K. and pa5t1s like this.
  19. pa5t1s

pa5t1s , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Camera bump, thickness aso... this is exactly what 'design' is about!
    Everybody wants a thin, super-slim phone, and then either complain about fragility, bend-ability and/or add an ugly thick case. That doesn't make sense at all.

Sure, under-screen FPS is not ready yet. But this is not impossible to place it in front: Design would ask: "is it more convenient or just more beautiful?" I, for myself, think that a front FPS is more convenient...

20. Szymon K.
    Eclair Nov 28, 2017

Szymon K. , Nov 28, 2017 :
    Like @youbi mentioned, as well as I mentioned in my previous post, camera position in the corner because of thermal reasons, as well as it can keep phone slim. In other words, with camera in corner, it's easies to fit everything else inside. If we'd keep in in the middle, just for the reason of being different than others, probably we'd have to go with smaller battery or remove headphone jack. User experience over fanciness.

Regarding FPS: we couldn't make it as accurate and fast as it is right now, if we'd make it small just to fit in our new, smaller bezel. That's why, after moving it to the back, for users convenience, we've also introduced Face Unlock. Since launch, we also got a lot of positive feedback, that fingerprint scanner on the back feels more natural than on the front.

Plenkske and youbi like this.