Desperately disappointed with OnePlus 7T/7T Pro camera

1. TopHappyMe
    Eclair Dec 3, 2019

TopHappyMe , Dec 3, 2019 :
    The amount of noise and graining experienced in scenarios other than those with perfect natural lighting is truly demoralising.

I recently held my daughter's 4th birthday party in a sports hall (well-lit, fluorescent lighting) and it breaks my heart to look at the shocking quality of the photos my wife (7T) and I (7T Pro) were able to capture.

I feel OnePlus (and DXOMARK) have robbed me of precious memories through a deliberate, deceitful and contrived campaign to convince consumers the cameras that ship with their phones are anything but sub-par.

Bluecat08 and Sunil punshi like this.
  2. bobsta
    Donut Dec 3, 2019

bobsta , Dec 3, 2019 :
    I installed the GCam mod on my 7T pro - improved photo quality no end. The hardware is let down by the OnePlus' processing algorithms.

3. masi0
    Gingerbread Dec 3, 2019

masi0 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    then return it - you will not take back time by writing your frustrations here

4. TopHappyMe
    Eclair Dec 3, 2019

TopHappyMe , Dec 3, 2019 :
    GCam only works with the main sensor, doesn't it? I know I could switch back and forth between GCam and OnePlus' own camera software but what a faff!

You're right, and I tried, but I'm beyond the return window.

5. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Dec 3, 2019

Horsault , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Without sample, it's hard to understand what you're complaining about.
    So please post samples which dissatisfy you, giving for each sample the settings and mode you used.

stetre76 likes this.
  6. stetre76
    Eclair Dec 3, 2019

stetre76 , Dec 3, 2019 :
    Honestly - if you really rely on a Smartphone when taking pictures of (for you and your family) such an important event, it's your own fault in a way.

Of course you can take nice photos with a smartphone, and so far I have been (positively) stunned by the quality of the camera of the 7T Pro McLaren (coming from a Pixel 2 XL). But if the quality of the photos really does matter and you want to keep an everlasting memory, I would always use a real camera (DSLR, compact mirror-less, ...) and only have the smartphone as a backup for snapshots.

Also, maybe you want to post some examples, so we can see what's gone wrong, and maybe you can also tell us more about the mode & settings you've used...

Little 3vil likes this.
  7. vikasmauryalive
    Donut Dec 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM

vikramchinu and Sunil punshi like this.
  8. G1572469583021
    Eclair Dec 8, 2019 at 5:02 PM

G1572469583021 , Dec 8, 2019 at 5:02 PM :
    Im not sure that this is the case i have messed with it and it is way better then my sony xz2. you need to post same samples so we can see what you are talking about. also, there is always post-editing.

9. Bluecat08
    Froyo Dec 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM

Bluecat08 , Dec 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM :
    I completely agree with everything you have mentioned on your post. I, too, have been frustrated with the quality of images from my OP. I always wondered how the images on the 'share your images from your OP threads' managed to post high quality images with impressive clarity? Perhaps additional editing? I love everything about OP phones -storage, updates, RAM, battery (kinda) - as far as the camera, it's a bit embarrassing. I always opt for my gf's iPhone when capturing important moments.

vikramchinu, TScheen and TopHappyMe like this.
  10. Horsault
    Marshmallow Moderator Dec 8, 2019 at 10:43 PM

Horsault , Dec 8, 2019 at 10:43 PM :
    Clean lens,
    Selected focus,
    Right mode,
    Some technique when shooting in Pro mode

Bluecat08 and stetre76 like this.
  11. rod_r47
    Cupcake Dec 9, 2019 at 12:21 AM

rod_r47 , Dec 9, 2019 at 12:21 AM :
    Fluorescent lighting flickers so can cause problems to many cameras, some cameras pause to cope with it others have cleverer fixes. Never going to blame a phone for not coping.

12. RaBjo
    Eclair Dec 9, 2019 at 12:51 AM

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM

13. TopHappyMe
    Eclair Dec 11, 2019 at 6:49 PM

TopHappyMe , Dec 11, 2019 at 6:49 PM :
    Hmm, if I'd been let down in a similar fashion by previous smartphones I'd probably agree with you - but I haven't. For example, my Samsung S8+ always did me proud.

I think the OnePlus camera is a victim of this trend towards more pixels, but smaller pixels that don't capture as much light. It's an approach that results in greater detail when shooting well-lit, landscape-esque scenes, but no matter how smart your pixel-binning algorithms are, indoor photography, where lighting is rarely optimal, predictably suffers. I just didn't think it'd suffer this much... [e]1f614[/e]

On sharing samples, I don't really want to share photos of my or other people's children on an online forum, but I'll look through and see if there are any without children in or that can be easily anonymised. [e]1f44d[/e]

14. mighty47
    Cupcake Dec 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM

mighty47 , Dec 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM :
    I completely agree with you. I had exactly the same issue with my OP 7T Pro during my son's birthday.

Pictures were pretty bad, I never had this bad quality with my s8. We had to take other pictures with my wife's iphone...

And the absence of the "live photo" fonction is a real lack for me, especially when taking pictures of my ALWAYS moving children...

Honnestly, I really hope OP will update the camera and improve it.

vikramchinu and The_Mole like this.
  15. vikramchinu
    Donut Dec 13, 2019 at 6:00 PM

vikramchinu , Dec 13, 2019 at 6:00 PM :
    I agree.. Camera is not on par as one expects.. If camera is good.. Then not so many ppl look for gcam..

They have to update the camera.. Though pictures rely on light.. But the grain what we see on specific.. Won't come on other Sam flaghships..

I am a user of many oneplus phones since oneplus one to 7t

Cdrtaithey need to improve camera software..

Or they should work with Google to officially release the pixel cam on this.